“Great bathroom”

Ranked #57 of 421 Hotels in Florence
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Great bathroom”
Reviewed 3 June 2009

We had a room with a terrace with gorgeous red geraniums. The bathroom had every amenity. The room had two separate closets and the bed and pillows were nice. The room was not spacious, but comfortable. The bar is not a happening scene, but it is comfortable and the staff can make a good drink. Pro: It is in a quiet residential area with a couple of decent restaurants. Con: It is away from the action.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
USA
Reviewed 31 May 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night in May 2009. The hotel is lovely as the reviewers describe, but I was horrified the next day to discover six big welts on my back. I don't know any other way I could have received these bits except from bedbug bites, since the bites were on the side that I sleep on, and I sleep without a shirt. My boyfriend received no bites, perhaps because he slept with his shirt on.

1 Thank pax01
mari087, The Hotel Manager at Hotel San Gallo Palace, responded to this review, 5 June 2009
Dear Mrs.,
First of all we thank you for choosing our hotel and for finding it lovely.
Regarding to your above signaling we are very sorry for what happened. We inform you that you are our first guest that mentioned this kind of problem with the “bedbugs”. We are sure that leaving maybe the window open some moquitos did it, or can be also an allergic reactions if your boyfriend didn’t have it.
We are extremly carefully with the hotel cleaning and very often we provide with all accurate processing about mosquitos and all the other insects.
Sorry again and remain with our best regards.
The Hotel Manager
Blacksburg, VA
Reviewed 24 May 2009

This is the best hotel that I have stayed at in a major city in Europe. It is very modern and roomy by European city standards, with relatively easy access to the Foodie mecca of the City Market.

NY
Reviewed 21 May 2009

This was a very nice hotel. The rooms were spacious and clean, and the staff was very helpful. It was a little far from the city center where the museums and restaurants are located. But that may have been our own fault because we chose to walk everywhere and it probably would have been better to have taken the bus instead. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 19 May 2009

We stayed in the San Gallo Palace Hotel for 4 nights in May 2009 as part of a two week trip around Tuscany.

I picked this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. This felt like a much more expensive hotel - the room and bathroom were tastefully decorated and absolutely spotless. Our room, which as always I requested on the top floor, was wonderfully quiet at night. The staff were very friendly and helpful, all that I met spoke good English. Breakfast was excellent.

I can find very little to criticise about this hotel. It's about a 20 minute walk from the old centre of the city but has enough restaurants etc nearby for the evenings. The location is probably the reason why it was such good value for money.

north carolina
Reviewed 18 May 2009

Greetings from North Carolina, USA;

We had the pleasure of staying with you for two nights near the end of March, this year. My apologies for not responding sooner about our stay, I had intended to write this note on our return home. When you are traveling far from home to a place you have never been before having a good hotel to stay in can be quite an important event. Especially after a long trip, the stay at the hotel can help to make the vacation a very good or a not so good experience.

After spending 3 long days in Rome, we arrived at the San Gallo not only exhausted but unfortunately, both of us were feeling not feeling well at all. For us it was a wonderful surprise to be greeted with such joy, courtesy and friendship at the front desk. We arrived quite early, yet we were told our room was all ready and waiting. The room was warm, clean, spacious, well designed and extremely comfortable; all of this was just what we needed when we arrived! While staying with you we made use of room service and your restaurant, the food and the service we received from each was excellent, to say the least. Since we had decided to walk Florence, the location was important as well and the hotel proved to be just the right distance away from the sights we had planned to see.

You have a truly excellent hotel in every way, in fact your staff is among the best we have ever experienced. The San Gallo itself helped to make our stay in Florence a real joy and one we will not soon forget. We are pleased to be able to recommend the San Gallo to our friends who travel to Florence. Also, you may be sure you will see us on our next trip. . .for us it would be like visiting old friends!

Thank you all so much for giving us such a pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Dungarvan, Ireland
Reviewed 8 May 2009

Just back from a two night stay in this hotel. I feel compelled to write a review as this hotel is a real gem. Our room cost us €90 per night including breakfast, that's just €45 each!! .
-The San Gallo Palace is a nice 20 minute stroll to the old centre of the city, around the Duomo. At the end of the day, having spent hours walking around, a taxi back from the centre only costs about €6 which, given the price of the hotel, we could well afford.
-Although small, the room was spotlessly clean and nicely furnished with everything you would expect.
-Check-in was painless, the girl on reception was very helpful, friendly and polite. On day 2 I asked for a fluffy pillow as I was unhappy with the one I had. When I came back that night it was on my bed!
-Breakfast in the mornings was delightful. A good selection of cereals, juices, fruit, pastries etc. There was hot food too (eggs, bacon etc)
-There is a lovely bar with outdoor seating, the barman was extremely friendly and chatty. He gave us great travel advice about going to Pisa and was also very interested in talking about life in Italy. (the prices in the bar however are HIGH. Two Baileys cost €18!!!)
All in all we had a fantastic time in this beautiful city. Our stay in this hotel really added to it. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends