“Unbeatable”

Hotel Davanzati
Ranked #12 of 410 Hotels in Florence
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 October 2007

We stayed at the Davanzati in July and had a wonderful time. Fabrizio was on vacation while we were there, only arriving on the day we left, but he had been extremely helpful when making the reservation and in booking a driver for two day tours. (Francesco the driver was excellent too.)

In his absence, Tommaso was fantastic. He was a great host, making restaurant reservations every night (we very much enjoyed all his recommendations) and providing a friendly greeting every time we came in. And we loved the nightly happy hour.

The room was more than adequate, and while everyone has mentioned the laptop computer with internet, the DVD player and the Playstation in very room, but I don't think anyone has mentioned the slippers in the room - they were better than any of the pairs I've seen in 5-star hotels.

Tommaso and his wife are expecting the fourth generation of Davanzati hoteliers this month, so we look forward to staying at the Hotel Davanzati many times to come.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank jgb41
Write a ReviewReviews (3,565)

Reviewed 11 October 2007

We loved this little hotel. The staff was
extremely helpful and concerned about all
our comments. Modest but excellent appointments throughout. A balky drain was tended to immediately. Big plus: blankets rather than comforters (personal bete noir in upscale hotels). Delightful cocktail party each evening. Great breakfast. Best of all, the location is wonderful.

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed 10 October 2007

Upon my arrival I was initially surprised to see the entrance was an austere stairway up one flight with the name of the hotel posted on the archway above. I had a heavy bag to carry up and rang the bell at the bottom of the stairs for help. Fabrizio happened to be downstairs and across the street. He came running across to greet me and help me with my bags. He knew who I was immediately, greeting me by name, yet we had only exchanged email messages. Fabrizio and his son, Tomaso couldn't have been more helpful during my stay, making me feel welcome. It was my first solo international trip and the care they took during my stay made all the difference in the world. They were also both very helpful in assisting me with local tours. They were always prompt with email responses, too. I loved the fact that there was a laptop in my room with free internet connection. I was in the middle of all the action in the city, yet my room was quiet and i was able to sleep soundly every night. I will definitely go back whenever I have an opportunity to again.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank ILoveTuscany
Reviewed 10 October 2007

Trip Advisor did not fail us. We stayed here based on all the positive reviews, and they were right - this place is great! The owners of this hotel make you feel so welcome from the moment you check in.
The hotel is in a great location - near everything - restaurants, shops and sights! It is about a 10 minute cab ride from the train station. You do not need to take public transportation once you are there, everything is in walking distance.
Our room #301 was a decent size and very clean. The bathroom seemed new. We faced the street which we preferred but we caution others that there is street noise at all hours of the night. The mattress was very comfortable but the pillows were too soft for our taste. Each room has a laptop, playstation and a flatscreen TV. There is also a DVD library where you can see movies for free. Breakfast was a standard continental spread. Every night they had a happy hour which was a nice opportunity to meet other travelers. We would definitely recommend this hotel to friends. One more thing, just beware that there are stairs that you need to walk up to get to the first floor of the hotel (reception area).

Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank viajeelmundo
Reviewed 9 October 2007

Hotel Davanzati did not disappoint us one bit! It deserves its #1 spot on TripAdvisor. This hotel rates Excellent for me, a frequent traveler, because its all-around comfort, convenience, and the sincere hospitality of its owners, make it feel like home away from home. I have read the other reviews that voice complaints, but disagree. If one wants 5 star luxury, then one should stay at the Excelsior or the Grand Hotel for 500 Euros plus a nite. This hotel, for the price and location, is 5-star for me, and I have stayed at those pricey hotels and felt no different than a fly on the wall! Not here.

We arrived in Florence after staying in Villas in Tuscany and Lake Como for two weeks. Fabrizio warmly welcomed us like family, and took the time to make sure we were settled, comfortable, had everything we needed, and prepared us for our short whirlwind journey through Florence. He made restaurant recommendations for us, which we found more than acceptable.

Our superior 2-bed room was clean, comfortable, spacious, and convenient. The street noise was a minor annoyance, but if you want absolute still and quiet, stay in the Tuscany countryside, not the big city of Florence! The breakfast was simple but satisfying, and we enjoyed the cocktail hour, where our hosts circulated among the guests, making us feel at home.

While it is true that one must climb one flight of stairs to get to the elevator, the hotel's bellman heroically carried several heavy bags up the stairs for us, making that short climb (with sore feet and knees) generally inconsequential.

I will stay here on my future visits to Florence. I highly recommend it to the traveler who wants comfort, convenience, and a touch of home while travelling abroad!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2007

We stayed at the Hotel Davanzati for four nights in early September 2007, largely due to the reviews on Trip Advisor. Needless to say, we had a wonderful time. The hotel is lovely and in a fabulous location, in the pedestrian area. There is a laptop with free Internet access and a DVD player in each room. The breakfasts were great and the staff was very friendly. The room was also surprisingly quiet, given the location. The only fault we had with the hotel would be the flight of stairs we had to climb on our arrival, with our luggage, stroller and young child, before we reached the lift on the first floor. There is a porter who assisted us on our departure but we didn't see him on our arrival. We soon got used to carrying the child and stroller up and down the flight of stairs each time we came and went. All in all, we had a lovely time at the Hotel Davanzati and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Rish22
Reviewed 7 October 2007

I spent 4 nights at the Hotel Davanzati in September and enjoyed my stay tremendously. Fabrizio and Tomasso were extremely helpful both before and during my stay, booking museum, tour and great restaurant reservations and providing directions to sites. It's clear that they love their city and want to make sure that their guests have wonderful experiences in the city and hotel. I was traveling solo overseas for the first time and the hotel happy hour really made my stay special in this fabulous city. On my first night at the hotel, Fabrizio pointed out the two other women traveling solo to me and I ended up going out for a very fun dinner with them. One of the gals left the next morning but the other and I enjoyed sightseeing excursions and dinners together (along with whatever other fun people that we met at subsequent nights' happy hours) throughout our stays. The hotel seems to attract a fun, outgoing crowd.

The location is great! The hotel is just minutes from shopping, The Piazza De Signora and the Uffizi Gallery and the Ponte Vecchio. The Duomo is maybe 10 minutes away on foot and the Academia an easy 15-20. The city bus tour (hop off/on tour) has a stop just a block or two away and is a great way to get to a couple of outlying areas with fabulous overlooks of the city.

I had a single room and it was small (but on par with the single room I'd had in Rome), but impeccably clean. The laptop computer with free internet access was a great touch. The room also had a playstation/dvd, but I was having too much time enjoying Florence to use it, a mini-bar and in-room safe. The bathroom was decent sized. There was some street noise (I think there's a club below the hotel and it got a bit loud around 2 a.m. -- I was glad I brought ear plugs). The hotel is not fancy and, in fact, is just a bit worn. The three star rating is appropriate. The fun environment and helpful owners/staff more than made up for that and the room rate was extremely reasonable, especially after receiving a discount for using the Rick Steves book and another for paying my bill in cash. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo