“Just a lovely place to be”
Review of Hotel Davanzati

Hotel Davanzati
Ranked #8 of 420 Hotels in Florence
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Just a lovely place to be”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights with my two teenage boys in summer 2013 on a 2-week vacation in Italy (also time in Rome and Venice). Location absolutely can't be beat, and the hotel was so lovely - by far our favorite place in Italy. It's not cheap, but no decent place in Italy is in the summer; good breakfast, very spacious room, modernized bath, helpful service, free decently strong wireless (which you don't always find in Italy). Know that you have to carry your bags up a flight of stairs from the street, but other than that everything was very easy. As noted by others, they do offer a 10% discount for cash payment, but I didn't want to carry that much cash as we traveled, so I did credit card payment. We look forward to visiting again someday!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank motraveler90

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Hebrew first
Grass Lake, MI
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Mary McCarthy wrote this book and I read it before trekking Off to Florence 10 days ago. Originally was going to stay on the outskirts. But decided best to walk everywhere so, given the high rating of the Davanzati I gave them a try. Excellent choice. You have to climb the stairs but that's even not bad. Wonderful host, Tomasso, and staff. When I screwed up and had only one day reserved instead of the three planned I did not find my bags on the street. Easy resolution, much appreciated. I had a small suite, very comfortable. Excellent breakfast. Coffee was available at 5am. If you want to walk to the Uffizzi, the Bargello, San Marco museums and Cathedral and have easy access to many cafes, this is the place to stay. Public transport not required. In fact I walked to the train station on the morning of my departure in 12 minutes. It didn't hurt that the sun was out after weeks of rain! Cab from airport is fixed price of 23 euro. Cross the Ponte Vecchia if you want a local view of the city, avoiding the trinket prices on the bridge itself. I was alone so somebody even stopped to ask me directions. I said, No capito. Io Americano! lol

Room Tip: Go to the Bargello early (I was in the Donatello room alone for half an hour and they have a wonderf...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank comorbid
oregon
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We arrive and decide to walk to the hotel with the bags. Room was only 199E per night in October and a 10% discount for cash. Great location, not far from the river but you have to drag your bags up 26 steps to get to the lobby. Medium sized rooms for Italy but the best bed (and pillows) of trip so far. No view. Nice bathroom. Very friendly staff reserving tours, tickets and restaurants even before we arrived and after we arrived. They could not have been more helpful. Don't miss a little place recommended on trip advisor that only had 5 tables called Vini e Vechi Sapora at 3 via dei Magazzini. (#4 of 1,284 on TA). This place was great for dinner. I had spent the previous week looking for a Papperadelle pasta with Duck Ragout to no avail and there it was, the dinner special. Delicious as was everyone’s dish and every dessert. Inexpensive place, intimate, casual and great food but because it is so small you need reservations. Touring the villa next door as it was wonderful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank skidog
Colorado
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Just spent four nights at the Davanzati last week. Great location; very pleasant owner and staff; room nice size, clear bath; great morning breakfast and evening happy hour is a very nice touch. You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hrtraveler
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed at Hotel Davanzati 2 nights and from start to finish we were extremely happy with the service we received. When we initially checked in our 2 bedded room was not available so we were offered 2 separate single rooms right next to each other at no additional charge, 2 best nights sleep I had in Italy! Breakfast was wonderful with a nice selection of items and the all around service was excellent. Perfect location. I would highly recommend and return in a heart beat.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank mlukas76
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The Hotel Davanzati is an excellent choice in Florence. The location is near everything. The staff is very welcoming and informative. They went out of their way to make sure our needs were met. When we asked for assistance they happily provided support. The rooms are clean and quiet.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Terrie G
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Hotel Davanzati was chosen for a five night stay (January 2014) based on previous Tripadvisor reviews and I am happy to say it was an excellent choice. My wife and I were were very happy with our stay. The hotel is five minutes on foot from the central railway station so well-located if you are flying into Pisa and taking the train to Florence.

We were greeted enthusiastically by Tommaso the son of Fabrizio. Between them they run the hotel. Ninety year old Marcello, the founder, regularly appears in the morning smartly dressed in suit. Very Shortly after we had arrived the card-operated electricity switch inside the room failed, I spoke to Tommaso who said someone will come in 15 minutes. My wife and I sat outside the room on a comfortable sofa and waited. Sure enough after 15 minutes a man appeared with a replacement mechanism and a screwdriver and fixed the problem. Amazing ! This man turned out to be father Fabrizio who had morphed into an electrician at short notice ! That is service for you and that us why this hotel is popular. The family who run it love the hotel and look after you very well so that you have a memorable stay in Florence.

I had booked a basic double room but we stayed in a superior double. (I think we were upgraded as the Hotel was not full.) The window had two double-glazed panes and a shutter so noise from outside was reduced by 90% resulting in an excellent nights' sleep. The bed was very large and comfortable

Nowhere is perfect and the only minor negative points were the small narrow bathroom and a basic breakfast. That said the hotel is rated three star and the service care and attention you receive plus the spacious quiet comfortable rooms more than compensate.

We were recommended the ristorante/bar La Bussola less than a 100 yards down the road and this was proved to be an excellent restaurant for pizzas and evening dining.

This is an excellent bed & breakfast hotel well-located in central Florence and run by dedicated attentive staff. Heartily recommended !

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple