“Best Hotel Experience We've Ever Had”
Review of Hotel Davanzati

Hotel Davanzati
Ranked #12 of 411 Hotels in Florence
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 May 2009

My wife and I spent 2 nights of our honeymoon at Hotel Davanzati. We had very high expectations based on Tripadvisor reviews we'd read, but the Hotel exceeded our expectations in every way. My favorite things about the Hotel are (in no particular order):

1. the incredibly friendly and engaging staff
2. the wonderful breakfast included in the room rate
3. the romantic and mood-setting daily happy hour included in the room rate
4. the DVD and book library available to all guests
5. the quiet but central location
6. the staff's ability to make restaurant and museum reservations
7. a fantastic, comfortable feeling of home 5,000 miles away from home
8. incredible value.

An example of the personal touch of the hotel staff: They noticed on my passport that it was my birthday. When my wife and I returned from our dinner, there was a bottle of wine and a card from the staff wishing me a happy birthday in our room.

I give Hotel Davanzati my highest recommendation. It is not the Four Seasons in terms of opulence and grandeur, but for those who don't need such chandeliers over their bathtub, this Hotel has everything.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,575)

Reviewed 12 May 2009

In many years of much travel, the Davanzati stands out as one of the most enjoyable, warm and pleasant experiences. At the moment, in fact, I cannot think of another hotel or other accommodation as good over all these years. The room was inviting and relaxing. Fabrizio and Tommaso were invariably comfortable, helpful and professional.

Reviewed 12 May 2009

This was our first trip to Italy (actually to Europe) - so all was new and exciting. I asked a million questions - and both Tommaso and Fabrizio were always so friendly and helpful. Also, Fabrizio went out of his way to answer any questions and provide me with information via email before our trip. The hotel treats you as though you are truly a guest in their home. My husband and I were celebrating our 30-year wedding anniversary and when we arrived we received a bottle of wine and a congratulatory card in our room. Was such a warm touch. The breakfast was very good and I loved the coffee with steamed milk. In fact, I could not get enough each morning....and am now hating my coffee maker at home after being spoiled on vacation. As others have said - there are quite a few stairs - but after all the extra food and wine - was good to get extra exercise! Everything was so walkable - very good location - we walked everywhere. There was also a fun underground bar a couple doors down - which had live music and a very friendly bartender, which made for a fun closeby evening! When departing for the next leg of our trip, Fabrizio was so kind as to book our train tickets to Venice - so we did not have to go to the trouble ourselves. In closing, the in room free internet and laptop was a great convenience - versus standing in the hotel lobby checking your emails with a password - as we experienced in most of the other hotels we stayed at on our trip. I would definitely return to this hotel and sincerely thank the Hotel Davanzati for a wonderful stay!

Reviewed 12 May 2009

Great location, decent breakfast and a larger room than average. Free internet in the room and a helpful front desk. Only negative is the 26 or so stairs to get in from the street. Otherwise, not much else to complain about. Highly recommended and a good value as well!

Reviewed 12 May 2009

It fit exactly what I was looking for...ambience & charm, but what made it more so were the people...Fabrizio, his family and the entire staff could not have made my stay any better. He was extremely helpful in securing the Uffizi Vasari Corridor tour as well as others and always attentive to all his hotel guests. My room was lovely and tastefully decorated. Although there are stairs from the street entrance, if you need assistance you just had to ring the bell and someone appeared! I would highly recommend to my friends to stay there when visitng Florence...I know I will on my next visit.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2009

Service was extremely good, not least because we added 2 days to the beginning of our booking at very short notice, and were given a room upgrade for the entire visit at the same price as a standard room. To be picky, some of the restaurant recommendations were a bit iffy (upmarket or otherwise) - plus the infamous entrance stairs - but overall this is a highly recommendable place to stay in Florence. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Reviewed 12 May 2009

Hotel Davanzati is very well located to see the sites of Florence. The hospitality of the staff is outstanding,both during the stay and the preparations before the visit. They assisted us in making airport to hotel transport, set up a tour, and restaurant reservations and suggestions. We felt welcomed and special with the gatherings for wine/snacks at night and breakfast inthe morning. Everything was superb and made our stay in Florence enjoyable! We hope to return some day. The stairs are part of the experience!
Tom and Nancy