“Great location and nice rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Davanzati
Ranked #9 of 421 Hotels in Florence
GreenLeadersBronze level
Singapore
“Great location and nice rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2009

We stayed at the Davanzati for 5 nights in late April 2009. The hotel staff - Fabrizio and Tomasso were very responsive and helpful on the e-mails prior to our stay so that helped a great deal in our preparations.

The hotel location is great. Near enough to the main areas and tourist attractions and not too much within the crowded and noisy parts of Florence.

We were pleasantly suprised with the room we got - a family room double storied and with 4 beds - one double bed and 3 single beds. It was perfect for us. Rooms are all generally very clean and tidy, though the housekeeping seems reluctant to provide extra towels if needed. Each room even has a laptop with free Internet access!

In the evenings, the hotel has a happy hour where there is free flow of some snacks, house wine and champagne! A very nice touch indeed.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel for those who are travelling on a budget and only willing to spend no more than say 100 to 150 Euros per night for the room. It has good value for money.

I would highly recommend the Tuscany Tour which the hotel can arrange. It includes Siena (a must see) and a tour of a winery and vineyard and wine tasting (fantastic!).

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Hebrew first
san diego, california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2009

Fabrizio and his son, Tommaso are the quintessential hoteliers...fluent, affable, and eternally available to help. They set the tone for this amazingly central, cozy hotel, which is a part of of the Palazzo Davanzati, and just off it's piazza on the Via Porta Rosa, which is a pedestrian viale just off the Tournabouni after you cross the Arno. Follow their directions after you book and don't panic about finding a parking place if you're driving, as we did. They'll find you. Breakfast is typical, but the cappucino's are top. And the idea of a wine and hors d' oevres hour in the pre dinner hour is a very civil touch. We loved Davanzati. Only sometimes the late nighters forget....after the late night buona notte's in the Porta Rosa below.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2009

My wife and I spent 2 nights of our honeymoon at Hotel Davanzati. We had very high expectations based on Tripadvisor reviews we'd read, but the Hotel exceeded our expectations in every way. My favorite things about the Hotel are (in no particular order):

1. the incredibly friendly and engaging staff
2. the wonderful breakfast included in the room rate
3. the romantic and mood-setting daily happy hour included in the room rate
4. the DVD and book library available to all guests
5. the quiet but central location
6. the staff's ability to make restaurant and museum reservations
7. a fantastic, comfortable feeling of home 5,000 miles away from home
8. incredible value.

An example of the personal touch of the hotel staff: They noticed on my passport that it was my birthday. When my wife and I returned from our dinner, there was a bottle of wine and a card from the staff wishing me a happy birthday in our room.

I give Hotel Davanzati my highest recommendation. It is not the Four Seasons in terms of opulence and grandeur, but for those who don't need such chandeliers over their bathtub, this Hotel has everything.

Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2009

In many years of much travel, the Davanzati stands out as one of the most enjoyable, warm and pleasant experiences. At the moment, in fact, I cannot think of another hotel or other accommodation as good over all these years. The room was inviting and relaxing. Fabrizio and Tommaso were invariably comfortable, helpful and professional.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2009

This was our first trip to Italy (actually to Europe) - so all was new and exciting. I asked a million questions - and both Tommaso and Fabrizio were always so friendly and helpful. Also, Fabrizio went out of his way to answer any questions and provide me with information via email before our trip. The hotel treats you as though you are truly a guest in their home. My husband and I were celebrating our 30-year wedding anniversary and when we arrived we received a bottle of wine and a congratulatory card in our room. Was such a warm touch. The breakfast was very good and I loved the coffee with steamed milk. In fact, I could not get enough each morning....and am now hating my coffee maker at home after being spoiled on vacation. As others have said - there are quite a few stairs - but after all the extra food and wine - was good to get extra exercise! Everything was so walkable - very good location - we walked everywhere. There was also a fun underground bar a couple doors down - which had live music and a very friendly bartender, which made for a fun closeby evening! When departing for the next leg of our trip, Fabrizio was so kind as to book our train tickets to Venice - so we did not have to go to the trouble ourselves. In closing, the in room free internet and laptop was a great convenience - versus standing in the hotel lobby checking your emails with a password - as we experienced in most of the other hotels we stayed at on our trip. I would definitely return to this hotel and sincerely thank the Hotel Davanzati for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2009

Great location, decent breakfast and a larger room than average. Free internet in the room and a helpful front desk. Only negative is the 26 or so stairs to get in from the street. Otherwise, not much else to complain about. Highly recommended and a good value as well!

Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2009

It fit exactly what I was looking for...ambience & charm, but what made it more so were the people...Fabrizio, his family and the entire staff could not have made my stay any better. He was extremely helpful in securing the Uffizi Vasari Corridor tour as well as others and always attentive to all his hotel guests. My room was lovely and tastefully decorated. Although there are stairs from the street entrance, if you need assistance you just had to ring the bell and someone appeared! I would highly recommend to my friends to stay there when visitng Florence...I know I will on my next visit.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo