“I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Florence now that I've been there!”
Review of Hotel Davanzati

Hotel Davanzati
Ranked #9 of 412 Hotels in Florence
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rhode Island
“I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Florence now that I've been there!”
Reviewed 26 May 2009

My mother and I just returned from our 12-day trip to Italy last night and one of our most lasting memories from the trip will be the four nights we stayed at Hotel Davanzati. I decided to stay there based on the reviews I read here and now I am adding my own. It lived up to every single expectation I had. It was charming, clean, comfortable and Intimate. The service is absolutely the most personalized I have ever received from any hotel I have ever stayed at.

At The Hotel Davanzati, they will tend to your every need. While there, unfortunately, my mother was sick with a nasty head cold. Fabrizio, Tomasso and the rest of their staff wen above and beyond to help us with anything we needed, from providing us with a late night cup of tea, to helping us read the Italian on the medicine we had purchased at the Italian pharmacies.

They were also incredibly helpful with setting up reservations at restaurants and museums and for tours. Fabrizio even helped me with my Italian cell phone!

The rooms are beautiful and comfortable and if there is anything at all that you need that is not already provided, all you have to do is ask. In addition, the breakfast, which is included, is delicious.

I could go on and on with my praise, but I won't, except to say that if you're traveling to Florence, you shouldn't consider staying anywhere else either. I can't wait to go back.

P.S. The free laptop provided in every room was indispensable.

• Stayed May 2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Hebrew first
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Hotel Davanzati is a very well run, clean and comfortable small hotel on a quiet street close to the major attractions of Florence. That in itself would be recommendation enough but what makes it special is outstanding customer service. Advice is given, problems solved and excursions booked in an efficient and genuinely warm and friendly manner. Service even extends to Fabricio pursuing careless guests to the railway station to hand over forgotten valuables! The Davanzati team can teach others a lot about quality customer service. Our room was stylishly decorated and comfortable although somewhat small (like many European city hotels). We have no hesitation recommending the Davanzati.

singapore
Reviewed 25 May 2009

My wife and I stayed the first night at Grand Hotel as Davanzati had no rooms available. The next 2 nights we were in Davanzati. So in comparison, Davanzati was miles ahead in every aspect. Yes we are actually comparing it to a Starwood 4 or 5 star hotel and yes, Davanzati is way way better. Fantastic service and extremely well located. The rooms are nice enough for anyone in any walk of life.

Toronto
Reviewed 25 May 2009

My wife and I are quite picky with hotels and we loved the Davanzati. Both Tommaso (son) and Fabrizio (father) are extremely helpful and will guide you in the right direction, whether with museum tickets, restaurants of sites to see in Florence (ask for their advice and take it, Tommaso told us to go see the David late in the afternoon to avoid the lines. Other (less informed) people complained about 2 hour waits while we waited about 10 minutes). The rooms are nice but most importantly, they are soundproof. When you go to bed you don't hear any outside traffic or noise. Happy hour is a clever method of getting guests to interact, and the tomato paste that the hotel makes is superb. This hotel is definitely worth the money and guests will not be disappointed.

Two notable stops - 1) Tommaso recommend that we walk over to Piazza Michaelangelo. It is about a 20 minute walk from the hotel, but boy is it worth it. You walk up a hill to a square that is about 200 feet above Florence and you get a great view of the entire city. This is a great starting point for a vacation before you dive into the city and sites. 2) Le Giostre and Zaza Restaurante (both notable with the "Hollywood crowd"). Ask Tomasso, both are great food and atmosphere.

1 Thank Barry-Heidi
Delhi
Reviewed 25 May 2009

This is a nice hotel in the heart of old Florence. I was traveling with my 12 year old son. We had a nice room. It had a PS2 which was a nice nostalgic touch for my son. The hotel was incredibly helpful with helping us get museum and tour tickets, recommending and booking nice restaurants, etc. I also enjoyed their evening happy hour, and the Davanzati sauce--shame they don't sell it. But remember to take the recipe when you are there.

• Liked — Friendly environment
  • Disliked — Nothing (perhaps the beds--the ones in our room were too soft)
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 24 May 2009

The wonderful service we received began with our correspondence with the hotel staff about our stay. The emails we sent were answered immediately and with many details which made our planning easy. When we arrived it was like coming home after a long absence. The staff is very attentive to every wish and made our reservations at restaurants and sight seeing a breeze. This is one of the best hotels we have stayed in, not because of luxury but because of a wonderful personality that this little hotel takes on in doing everything possible to make their guest have an enjoyable trip. One of the major reasons we hope to return to Florence is that we would be able to stay here again.

Osaka
Reviewed 24 May 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Davanzati for three nights as part of our honeymoon in Italy. Fabrizio, family and staff were exceptionally welcoming and helpful, and we loved Pierluigi's happy hour (especially the free Chianti). The room itself was clean and comfortable and it was a nice touch to have a selection of DVDs & games for entertainment. We'll definitely be staying here again.