“Good Hotel But...”

Ranked #58 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Baltimore, Maryland
“Good Hotel But...”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

My wife and I stayed there for 2 nights march 2012.
The property is an a beautiful location, the staff was very nice and the rooms were clean and the bathroom was big which is a plus.
The door know of our room broke and was never fixed. In the last day there, the shower drain clogged which caused the whole bathroom floor to flood, my wife and I were not happy about that at all. We had a continental breakfast there just the first morning and we assume it was complementary (as it has been in every hotel in our tour of Italy), when we checked out they charge us 56 euros for the "breakfast" we had of some juice and bread, but then again, that was our mistake for assuming things...
If you get a good deal in this hotel I would say book it, you will love it!, just have in mind it is a 5 star Hotel with 5 star prices!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Direzione_LaVedetta, General Manager at Villa La Vedetta, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor .I feel sorry and apologize for the problem occurred during your stay .
The lock was apperently fixed by our work man twice ,but as you mention not properly ! Now after your concern and my personal attention the lock has been definetely fixed .
Regarding the breakafst charge I am very sorry but the cost of our buffet breakfast of 28 euro per person/day is very clear and visible in all the reservations system and is never included .
There must have been a real misunderstanding and I apologize for this but I guarantee that we will improve our system to better explain this and avoid future inconvenience .
Thank you very much for your time and attention

Guest Relation Manager
guestrelation@villalavedettahotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Commerce City, Colorado
Reviewed 3 March 2012

My wife Sue and I went to Italy and did 7 cities in 14 days for our 26th anniversary. It was hit and run most places with the longest stay four days in Firenza at the Villa la Vedetta. Villa la Vedetta is a converted villa that is about 100 yds south of Plaza Michelangelo. I can’t say all rooms have a view of the city, luckily ours did, but if not, their back patio or rooftop viewing area has a spectacular view of the entire city. The rooms, though a little dated, were large and comfortable.

However, a comfortable bed and a view don’t make a great hotel, the staff does. From the moment we got there, we weren’t treated like guests, we were treated like family. Everyone from the Manager to the maids went out of their way to ensure we had an enjoyable stay. I also need to give special mention to Valentina at the front desk and David the restaurant Manager.

Valentina’s warm smile greeted you every morning when you came by the front desk. If you needed to find anything, a restaurant, a laundry mat or a shop, she not only found out where it was but how to get you there. She even helped us find the @ symbol on a European keyboard.

The single most relaxing night Sue and I had on this trip was diner at the Onice restaurant in the villa. The food on the menu looked very good and we wanted to have some wine with each course and dessert. One problem, we are wine rookies, so we asked David to pick the wine for us. David is a big man and a little imposing maybe but if you want to see his face light up, ask him about wine. Not only did he pick three excellent wines, he told us about where it was grown, the type of soil and the flavors we should expect in the wine. As he passed on his knowledge, you could tell how much he loved wine. Lastly, what looked good on the menu was delicious in our mouths. Good food, good wine and with David’s help, a great evening.

This was our first time in Firenza but we loved it so much, we know it won’t be our last. When we come back, we will stay at Villa la Vedetta. Grazie.

Room Tip: Rooms facing north or east
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tim O
Direzione_LaVedetta, General Manager at Villa La Vedetta, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear Tim and Sue,
thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor ! I am very happy that all my staff ,especially Valentina ensured you all the best attention .
It is very important for all of us to know that all the daily efforts converted your stay in the most memorable one ! this is our best satisfction and if you ever decide to come back ,we will be very happy to welcome you and your family again at Villa la Vedetta.
Thank you very much for your kind attention

Hotel Villa La Vedetta
UK
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We stayed here and had our wedding reception here in 2009. It was absolutely beautiful, stunning location, mostly helpful staff and the restaurant is one of the best I have eaten in. Rooms traditional but very stylish, lovely views. The gardens, terrace, pool are all lovely. Breakfast is outstanding - all cooked to order and a beautiful selection of fruits, pastries etc. We enjoyed it so much we are visiting Florence again in April for Easter, and will pay a return visit to the restauarant Onice for dinner. We are very much looking forward to it.
Only downside was there was no iron in the room - my husband wanted to (as you would) iron his shirt for the wedding. The staff would not give us an iron in the room, and tried to charge us for housekeeping ironing the shirt for him. That was not impressive!
But apart from that - would highly recommend this place. Location is not an issue - there is a shuttle bus to town.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Tripadvisor user,
thank you very much for your review and I really thank you for your kind words addressed to the staff and particular for the special mention about our Restaurant Onice .
I am very sorry for your disappointement,and I apologize for the inconvenience, but ironing in the room, according to the Italian law of Fire Safety ,is strictly forbidden.
Thank you very much for time and attention

Hotel Villa La Vedetta
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This was our second time staying at Villa La Vadetta. The view from the hotel is phenomenal, the staff picks wonderful local restaurants and the shuttle is convenient. One staff member remembered us from our last stay two years ago. This is one hotel we will definitely return to.

• Stayed November 2011
Dear Tripadvisor user,
thank you very much for your review . I am very happy about your impressions regarding our Staff and Villa !
We look forward for your third time ..is a promise ..!!

Hotel Villa la Vedetta *****
Anonyme Island, Seychelles
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Very nice location , service focused on your wallet only !!
Superb terasse and pool over the city of Florenz, in the ols villa with cosy park.
Overpriced menus and rooms missing a lot of facilities but , spacious .
Our reservation was not found and they try to sale us the best room in house for 999 e/night.
Breakfast perfect on the terasse but no other restaurant experienxes due to the price.
Shuttle for center city available untill 19.00h.
Pricy , nice but with a bitter taste for the 5 days we offer us in this Villa.
The beautifull Florenz make sense and I can imagine the Ferrari team when they invit people for the new model at Villa Vedetta.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andre D
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. Everything was perfect! Bery cosy and friendly atmoshphere.Our room was great , very clean and spacious. We actually got an upgrade for our room at check in! The view from the hotel was magnificent. Also we didn't have a problem reaching the centre from the hotel, we either walked (around 10') our transferred by the shuttle bus. Especially Valentina , the girl at the reception, was really helpful with us and made our stay special!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Adapra
Direzione_LaVedetta, General Manager at Villa La Vedetta, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Dear Mrs. Adapra,
thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor ! To read such good comments is our best satifaction and we will keep working to guarantee our customers the best attention possible .
Thank you very much for your time and attention

CT
Reviewed 18 January 2012

My review on this hotel is ovedue. We stayed here in August of 2007. We had a relatively good rate because they had an online promotion going on at the time. If we payed full price, I would be rating this 3 stars. My family of 4, plus my brother's family of 3, plus my parents stayed here. The accommodations were beautiful and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The view from the pool (which is advertised as heated, but is not in August and was as cold as ice) is very lovely. The view takes your breath away (as did the freezing cold water of the pool!) My children didn't want to get in the pool becasue it was so cold, and the whole reason we got a hotel with a pool was for the kids. I didn't want to get in it either, but I did to try to convince the kids that it wasn't so bad. I think I turned blue. Okay. Enough with the ice cold pool. I'm pretty sure they put ice in it every morning... But enough already. I'm shivering just thinking about it.

I did mention how helpful the staff is. If my word for it isn't enough, I could show you the bill. They charged me very heavily for every bit of help they gave. "Would you like museum reservations? No problem. Here are your tickets." "Would you like dinner reservations? No problem. Here is the address." Know that it costs about 20 euros everytime they do something for you. I think our helpful front desk person charged us about 100 euros for the phone calls she made for us. She was THAT helpful. Most hotels have a concierge whose job it is to help you with such things. It's normally included in the rate. At this hotel, she charges you for it. A lot. No wonder she's smiling. It's good to be helpful. They don't tell you that when they help you it will cost you. You find this out when you are checking out.

Again, the facilities are beautiful and the staff was VERY ($$) helpful... if I could give it 3.5 stars, I would, because I don't like hidden charges and false claims of "heated" pools. But despite all of this, we loved coming back to this hotel at the end of the day with the beautiful view.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Direzione_LaVedetta, General Manager at Villa La Vedetta, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Dear Tripadvisor user ,
thank you very much for your time writing the review and we are very sorry for the few problems occurred during your stay .
We are very sorry but we have never published that our pool is heated ( I have personal checked in all our sites)
Regarding the other extra fees you are mentioning you hould contact me directly and report exctact costs and bills paid and I will be able to certify that no "additional fees" were added on you see the details , and in case of contrary refund you imediately.
Anyway I will take opportunity with this message to check all our services cost provided to our customers and I ensure you my personal attention on this aspect .
Thank you very much for your time and awaiting your direct contact I send my personal regards