“Shower is tiny, room smelled”

Hotel Vasari Palace
Ranked #153 of 420 Hotels in Florence
Mountain View, California
“Shower is tiny, room smelled”
Reviewed 7 November 2012

We were very pleased with the staff at the Hotel Vasari, but unfortunately the accommodations were not pleasant.

My main complaint is the shower. The shower was so small, that the curtain stuck to you the entire time. Our room also smelled musty and damp. Opening the windows did not help.

It may have just been our specific room. I do love the Renaissance theme of the hotel. Each rooms door is a different painting, and each room is decorated with prints of famous paintings as well.

Location is also great if you are traveling by train within Italy. We will probably try and stay somewhere else if we return however.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lizabeth L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Merseyside
Reviewed 5 November 2012

The location (5mins to Santa Maria Novella train station and 10mins to city centre) and the cost of the hotel was why we chose it, however I wouldnt have accepted a 'dump' and was pleased that we didnt get one!

The rooms were comfortable - nothing special, but clean and good value. The staff were accomodating and the breakfast was continental and plentiful.

There are a few cafe bars nearby and we also ate at a nice restaurant within 5mins walk - all in all a goo choice!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Basel
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We (mature couple) spent two nights in the Vasari Palace. Reception staff were very helpful and friendly. Room for the centre of town surprisingly quiet and very comfortable. Bathroom recently modernised. The hotel is in an ideal location for seeing the historical sights of Florence as well as for good restaurants and excellent shopping. Everything in walking distance (including the railway station). Generous breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Discoverer2
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 24 October 2012

This was my first time to Italy or abroad for that matter so i was not sure what to expect after all the stories I heard. This hotel was very nice.

The staff were all all very friendly and helpful. My luggage did not arrive until a day after I did and the people at the front desk took the information and handled all of the logistics of getting my luggage delivered. They also loaned me a converter so that I could charge my cel phone.

I was on the second floor and took a liking to the spiral marble staircase up to my room. The room was small but clean. I was traveling alone and so the room just had one small single bed but it was very comfortable. The doors to the rooms had portions of famous paintings on them and prints of more famous works in the rooms, which I found to be a nice addition. My only complaint about the room was that there were no screens on the windows and I got eaten alive by the mosquitos!

The buffet breakfast was very good and rivaled those of the more expensive hotels I stayed at later in my trip.

I was very happy with my choice of this hotel and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Deanna S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I can heartily recommend this hotel which is located near the northern edge of the City and very close to the main railway station which makes travel quick and easy, as is the bus station.

It does not have a restaurant but has at least eight good restaurants within half a mile. We asked the receptionist where he would recommend for dinner. He recommended us to Enzo and Pietros, where we enjoyed three excellent true Tuscan meals. The fresh vegetable soup was the best I have ever supped, the veal was fantastic and the house wine was so good we did not try any other. The staff at the restaurant were friendly and efficient, and the restaurant has been in the family for several generations.

The breakfasts at Hotel Vasari Palace are exceptional for continental breakfast and a smile at the waitress will get you a cappuchino. The only slight issue that tea drinkers are only catered for if you bring your own tea bags and are happy with warm water, more suitable for coffee.

All the staff are friendly and helpful. They all speak excellent English but particularly appreciate those who speak a little Italian.

The streets around the hotel were always busy late into the night, and completely safe to walk around, but be firm with the street vendors and they will leave you alone. We found the hotel extremely quite.

We asked to be given timed tickets for the Uffizi museum, with a day's notice. The receptionist arranged this by telephone with patience and courtesy.

If the purpose of your visit is to visit the sites of this beautiful city I would heartily recommend this hotel. On our next visit, we will definitely stay at the Vasari Palace.

Room Tip: Use the lift unless you are fit and on the second floor. Ask the receptionists if you require any a...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Peter A
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2012

The hotel is close to the train station and close to all the attractions and sits in a quiet street. The hotel staff were very friendly and also booked us a timed ticket for the Academia, which I would advise anyone to do as the queues are huge. The room was spacious and clean as was the bathroom. The breakfast offers a good choice and the staff helpful and friendly. This is a perfect hotel for a city break and very good value. Would definately stay here again if we come back to Florence.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael B
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 14 September 2012

The hotel is very close to the train station and bus station. And only a 10 minute walk to the Duomo and another 5 minutes to the Uffizi Gallery. The hotel staff was very knowledgeable and also helped us with the right place to eat dinner. The room was clean, a good size, and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom's a little small, but what hotel in Italy isn't. All in all it was a good hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family