“Worst Hotel I've ever stayed in”
Review of Auto Park Hotel

Auto Park Hotel
Ranked #372 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I had read reviews on on all the hotels we were to stay in throughout our european tour and this one by far had the worst SO I was already a little skeptical about it. Needless to say it lives up the reviews. We checked in for 2 nights at the end of December. The rooms are average size and seemed clean. There are two sections of this hotel, one in the same building as the lobby and the other that you take a seperate corridor to get to. We were unfortunately in the seperate building. From our tour mates in the main building, they had very little complaints however EVERYONE (about 20 of us) that were in the seperate section all had issues. One couple had to be switched to a different room for the second night becuase there room had a FOUL odor. (they lickened it to the smell of poison). Our room was absolutely FREEZING. (Obiously those travelling in summer won't have this problem) I was layered up in sweats, 2 pairs of socks, a tshirt, sweater and we also had a sheet and 3 blankets on the bed and we were still cold. (Even the hubby who works outside even during our Canadian -40 winters) Everyone in our section had the same problem with this. Food wise, we only had our breakfast in the hotel but they were your typical Italian breakfast (no fault of the hotels). During the course of our tour we stayed in 10 different hotels, all tourist class but this was BY FAR the worst of them. I wouldnt recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: If you HAVE to stay here, request a room in the main portion, not the section down the little hallwa...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank sjh9Edmonton

Reviewed 20 June 2012

This hotel was included as part of an organised tour through Europe. I read these reviews before I left & was so worried about the stay at this hotel! Turns out it was fine. Our room was basic & bathroom was very small but all clean. I would stay here again if the price was cheap as we do not spend alot of time in the hotel. If you prefer to hang around the hotel alot then it is probably better to spend a little extra elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I stayed here for a night when I visited Florence, and I am glad that was it. It was nothing great but it was okay. The main problem was that the shower leaked onto the floor of the bathroom. It was also a good ways from the centre of town, and there was no easy way to get in. But, the staff was nice. And it was clean.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank jl747-13
Reviewed 16 November 2011

This is a best hotel in town to avoid. Seriously... everything about this hotel was budget sized (though somewhere I had read it is a 3 star). Begining from the elevator just spacious enough for 2 that too cheek to cheek. The rooms were cramped up; but the bathroom was a hit (left you turn the shower hits you, right you turn the taps hit you). The flooring was cold and freezing - no carpeting. Food and oh! the food seemed like the chef had not slept in the night - dished out something something. One day dinner was served without any plates and spoons.

Somethings in life are best avoided - This is one of them.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Rajesh G
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Wow what a hotel. An experience totally unforgettable. The rooms were smelly, insects everywhere, cold floor, cramped up room and small bathrooms. The food was terrible and the lift was outstanding in the literal sense - didnt know whether we were standing inside the lift or outside the lifet. Hopeless place cannot imagine there are such hotels abroad. A lifetime experience

Valencia G

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank valenciagujjar
Reviewed 25 September 2011

The hotel is situated at 15 minutes by bus from the city center. The hotel is very clean and has nice. generous lobby and great staff. Room are clean and nice tv with balcony, and has also it's own parking. Free Wi-fi.

Room Tip: Ask for a street view
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maniac_the_evil
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Here we go again, 49th country/hotel in the past twelve months.
I booked into this hotel for three nights as I was meeting a large group that were staying there for a couple of nights. I had no choice and after reading the reviews I feared the worse.

Arrived shortly after lunch and had to wait 20 mins for my room to be ready (no big deal). I had booked a double room simply because I wanted to ensure I had a double bed which is what I got. The advantage with a double room is it is more spacious and it has a bath, a shower and a fridge (although the fridge is more of a cooler) although most of the rooms do not have a fridge or a bath.

When I checked into the room I immediately thought I was in a different hotel from the one described in the preceding reviews. My room was clean and spacious and it was the one in the photo. Whilst it was in a poor state of decor I have been in much, much worse. As at the time of my arrival most of the rooms (across all six floors) were open (big change over) I did a quick rekey (nose around) to look at the state of the other rooms. It is fare to say that some of the single rooms were in a sorry state but again this was simply poor decor and well faded over time but again, I have seen worse.

The bites/insects: yes I got bitten until I sprayed myself with mosquito repellent after that no problem (this is old town Florence surrounded by trees and vegetation so expect the insects).

Ok, following in my time honoured tradition, questions and answers/hotels hype and reality:

In House Bar: yes but rarely open

Pets Allowed: apparently yes from all nations:

TV In Room: yes (Italian channels only).

Data Ports: No.

Air Conditioning: yes but only turned on mid afternoon and is the old fashioned style of vents with a fan control but it will keep the room cool.

Room Service: did not put it to the test.

24-hour front desk: yes.

Air-conditioned public areas: yes.

Airport transportation (surcharge): yes but also known as a taxi.

Audio-visual equipment - Banquet facilities: not seen/required.

Bar/lounge: exists but hardly ever open.

Complimentary breakfast: yes (as in, it is included in the price if you pay for it but, strictly continental).

Computer rental - Concierge services: probably but not tried for it (who rents a computer whilst away now a days).

Dry cleaning/laundry service: There is a washing machine and tumble dryer (only one of each).

Elevator/lift: there are two and they are small (this is in keeping with the style and age of the hotel (seriously though, you are not living in the lift are you?)

Fireplace in lobby: about as relevant as having a light on the ceiling or a door into your hotel room.

Complimentary internet access in public areas - high speed: yes although some may have to adjust their laptop/phone sub menus to make it work. Mail me if you need help on this one (good speed).

Multilingual staff: yes

Parking (free)/Parking (secure): yes.

Additional info (not cited): good size supermarket next to hotel. Very good Pizzeria, pharmacy, ATM, five mins walk away.

Bus service is good and cheap and if you want to go to Pisa for the day it is 50 mins away by train and will cost you around 5 Euros each way.

Summary: This is an old style hotel and the rooms could certainly do with a makeover and are very basic. I did witness some rooms (single/twin occupation) that I concur from other reviewers that are not really that good but one wonders if the previous reviewers asked for a better room as they are available/do exist.

Is it worthy of a "3 star"? No, closer to 2 stars.

Is it value for money? No. I paid 63 Euros a night (bearing in mind this was for a double room which is the price for two people) and I felt that this was expensive in relation to other hotels in the area which may cost a little extra but are certainly of a much better standard.

This particular hotel makes it's living with the big organised tours/big groups of American, Dutch etc tourists and they quite simply farm them in and farm them out. It lacks atmosphere because it does not need any for the average group tours.

Would I stay there again? If I had to yes but, I cannot foresee a time when I will have too so, thankfully, no.

One reviewer commented on the photos given a false impression and I am not sure that this is as warranted with such severity. Simply put, if you look around the hotel you will see the views that are in the picture as they do exist however, given the right angle and lighting any of us can look beautiful or handsome.

Noise???

The walls are thin and if you are on floors one to five, you will hear everything from upstairs (footsteps, chairs being dragged etc) although the most annoying thing for me was two "yapping dogs" outside the hotel that never ever stopped 24/7.

Best tip for getting the best room at this hotel: request sixth floor, double bed with a bath.

As always, if I have left anything out or you need a bit more info regarding Florence in general then, drop me a line and I will try to help.

For the record, I am not an employee of the hotel; I live in England however I have spent many years living in Italy and therefore, am in a position to comment on hotel accommodation by Italian standards.

Have fun.