“The Great Escape!”

US$366.80*
4-Day Small Group Tour: Rome to Amalfi Coast
Ranked #99 of 345 Tours in Florence
More attraction details
Owner description: Tuscany on a Budget is a student company based in Florence and offers a series of activities at unbeatable prices ranging from € 6 to € 54 such as city bike tours, pubcrawl, gastronomic tours and wine tasting tours to the Chianti region and to the local villages in Tuscany.The tour operator was created by an expert tour guide 5 years ago with the philosophy to offer tours for a lifetime experience to 18-35’s willing to learn, taste and see what the territory has to offer in a fun environment together with her young, lively and knowledgeable team.
Wantagh, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“The Great Escape!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This was a wonderful tour! The tour operators were wonderful, knowledgeable, and friendly. The two wineries were so much fun and I felt like I really learned how to taste and enjoy wine! the sampling of food was also great at both and the views and the experience we just unlike we have ever experienced! We would go back and do this again in a heartbeat. We were also with a younger crowd but they were fun and friendly and made this trip great!

Los Angeles
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“THE GRAPE ESCAPE TOUR - CHIANTI REGION + SAN GIMIGNANO”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Greetings budget travelers!

My friend and I booked The Grape Escape Tour through PLUS hostels in Florence, after a friend of ours recommended it for a "no frills" day trip to the Chianti region. We didn't have much time in Florence, but were dying to check out some wineries while in Italy, so opted to fork over 50 euros (as opposed to 100 euros for the other tours) for this tour.

The tour operators were excellent. It was easy to find the meeting location (about a block or two away from the train station), and they were very friendly from the get go. The transportation was fine - mini tour van that fit about 20 mostly college-aged folks. And, a great tour guide. I forget the dude's name (it's been a couple months), but he was very friendly, cracked some cheesy jokes, and gave us some great recommendations for good restos in Florence.

The "tours" themselves are average. Maybe it's because I'm from California, and have visited some excellent wineries in the past, but I thought that the tours didn't offer anything special. My favorite winery was the Tenuto Torciano. In fact, I loved it so much that I jumped on purchasing a good number of bottles when they said that they would deliver them to our door. HOWEVER, THE MAIN REASON WHY I'M WRITING THIS REVIEW IS TO WARN EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU WHO ARE GOING ON THIS TOUR TO NOT PURCHASE WINES OR TRUFFLE EVOO FROM THIS WINERY UNLESS YOU ARE PLANNING ON CARRYING THE BOTTLES HOME WITH YOU. WHY??? BECAUSE, after weeks of not hearing AT ALL from the winery, the wine arrived at my doorstep ONLY AFTER my friend and I sent/made numerous "angry" emails and phone calls to the producers, distributors AND fedex to figure out where the hell our shipment was. AND, TO TOP IT ALL OFF, WHEN MY SHIPMENT FINALLY CAME, IT WAS MISSING A BOTTLE OF TRUFFLE EVOO (THOSE THINGS ARE 26 EUROS A POP, YO!). At this point, I'm too exhausted to write them back and demand that they send me my EVOO. But, let this be a warning to all of you!!!

Other than that experience, WHICH I DON'T BLAME THIS TOUR OPERATOR FOR AT ALL (but, they may want to consider another winery if this problem persists), this is a great tour for someone who is on a budget OR on a time crunch, and doesn't want to necessarily spend an exorbitant amount of money on taking a short trip out to the Chianti region.

OH! And DO NOT pass on the world famous gelato is San Gimignano. That town is so precious, and it's an even greater experience when you have a delicious gelato in hand. And, go with the CRAZY more ADVENTUROUS flavors - you won't regret it!!!

ONE MORE THING: the "lunch" that they provide on the trip is literally some bruschetta and a prosciutto/cheese platter. CHEERS!

Visited May 2014
United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The Palio of Siena tour... an unforgettable experience!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Palio of Siena was one of the highlights of my trip to Florence and the Tuscany, and experiencing this wonderful horse race with “Tuscany on a Budget Tours” was essential for us to fully enjoy the event. Alex had the patience of answering every single question we had related to the running of the event, the traditions and the history of the area. He also provided us with the priceless knowledge and prespective of a local guide, and he had such enthusiasm for the race that he passed it on to the rest of the group.

Visited July 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“Pisa , Horse and Taste of Tuscany Tours”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I been on 3 tours with Tuscany on a budget. Ilaria and Nick (luka) and Alex were fantastic guides.. I really really have a wonderful experience with them.. now I even have an Italian name (Mario).. The trip is even more amazing then all the attractions I have went.. Though the name sound budget.. dont worry you will be well taken care of with all the great experience, food and service.

Well done guys! You have a great team! It is a joy!

Valletta, Malta
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A must”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

If you've never been to Cinque Terre, well, you're missing something. Our tour guide Alex really took care of us and certainly had loads of experience. He never lost his cool and knew the trains so well that he got us jumping from one to the other almost effortlessly. I thoroughly enjoyed this trip even though it was unbearably hot, even though this was in June. Alex had impeccable English, he took us to take lunch at a restaurant with breathaking views and we visited 3 out of the 5 Cinque Terre. We took the tour from Pisa not Florence. The only thing I can complain about is that the lunch portion was quite small, but then again this is Italy on a budget. Well worth the money. Well done Alex.