We really enjoyed our stay at Number 9 but have a great deal of trouble rating it as highly as others.
This is a VERY nice boutique hotel, but it misses the 5 star mark. Let's start with the things that are excellent. The staff would come first - very genuinely friendly, helpful, competent and knowledgeable - special kudus to Allesandro, one of the concierges that we relied on heavily during our 8 night stay. Great restaurant recommendations, an oh so helpful manner with all things we approached him regarding. (Note that the staff at the hotel's restaurant were a little shaky on the experience side but this is to be expected as they are in a training program. They had a great attitude but were a bit short on experience. Did not affect the food which was very good.)
Next on the excellent list is the location. Simply not possible to be better if what you are in Florence for are the major sites. A brief walk to them all. Also excellent is the décor and general feeling of the hotel. While the façade is not much, as soon as you walk in a transformation takes place. A very appealing environment.
Now, the not excellent and the reasons we have rated this property as only very good.
1. Half the rooms face a small Florence street. While it is quiet by Florence standards, it suffers from trash trucks in the early a.m. and street performers in the early evening hours. There is also heavy duty construction going on in a nearby building which we believe will last for some time. If quiet in a room is important to you, ask for confirmation of a room facing the back of the hotel. To the hotel's credit when we complained we were offered a room change the next day but elected to pass as we had already completely settled in and did not want to re-pack.
2. The room itself was quite cramped given that we have reserved a suite. While many of the reviews speak of spacious rooms, ours was not one of them. Avoid room 212. Again, we were offered a different room but declined so the hotel did what is should while we did not.
3. Breakfast is OK, but as other reviewers point out, if you want something other than scrambled eggs, there is an extra charge. We thought that inappropriate at this level hotel. Surely if you are in a buffet situation and want a fully cooked to order breakfast you should expect to pay for it. But just a couple of fried eggs. We also thought the buffet a bit limited but this may be due to how long we stayed and the fact that there was little if any change from day to day.
4. My big gripe is that the hotel rations ice. Why, I do not know. But at the end of the day I wanted to get some ice to give my poor knees some respite from all the waking and stair climbing (67 with bad knees). It was like pulling teeth. Same situation on the occasions I asked for an ice bucket to chill some wine - two inches at the bottom of the bucket. On one occasion they actually brought a bucket with ice water - but no ice - in it. Not quite sure what the issue was here.
5. Last was spotty Wi-Fi, at least in the room we occupied. Not horrible, just not what one would expect in a very highly rated hotel. Again, it may have been our room as it was in a remote corner of the property.
All things considered we enjoyed our stay at Number Nine, but only consider it to be a four star property, albeit one with exceptionally good service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Next the Medici Chapel in the historic centre of Florence, Firenze Number Nine is a boutique property that combines luxury, art and design offering a "tailor-made" stay and a warm hospitality. Every room and suite is unique and furnished in a and elegant and the staff is always ready to assist the guest in every request. Pleasure and relaxation meet in the Klab Fitness Center & Spa , an oasis of well-being and energy adjacent to the hotel and with direct access. Try Arya Beauty & Comfort Zone, the new Day SPA of Number NiThe spa is renowned for its ayurveda rituals, a practice which works to align the body with nature's rhythms. Our therapies range from a variety of massages and facials to personalized treatments using natural products and contemporary techniques. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Firenze Number Nine Wellness Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.