“Amazing!”

I Mosaici Di Lastrucci
Ranked #165 of 646 things to do in Florence
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We were so excited to stumble upon this artist studio and be invited in to look around and take photo's. It gave me a new appreciation for what goes into making one of these mosaici that I see around Florence in store fronts. Some of them take as long as 3 years to be completed. The artistry is inspiring.

2  Thank Pinksky77

Reviewed 30 August 2013

We were renting an apartment only a couple of blocks away and accidentally stumbled upon the open doors of the studio. Although we weren't sure that visitors were welcome, since it is obviously an artists' studio with work being done, we were motioned in by the owner and wound up spending over an hour with him, his son, his daughter in law and some of the other artisans, learning about the work being done and given a tour of the gallery. This is a hidden gem in Florence and should not be missed. They are incredible people who love to explain the work and we feel very lucky to have found them.

5  Thank SteveRBrooklyn_N_Y_
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I completely agree with all the positive reviews. We were just there last week and were amazed at the beautiful hand crafted work done by these modern masters! We were a bit discouraged by the high prices for once you see them, you will want to take one with you! We ended up buying three very small pieces that have not arrived at our house yet that I will cherish forever!

It is definitely worth a 1/2 hour of your time to visit their studio! They couldn't have been nicer and it is an experience to see them working. I also saw the Monet's Waterlilly piece that another visitor had mentioned. It was a commission from someone in Los Angeles and was completely amazing!!

1  Thank Rana_970
Reviewed 20 May 2013

My husband and I just fell into this little workshop one day when we were wandering around Florence on foot. It was real serendipity because a few days earlier, we'd toured the Museo Opificio delle Pietre Dure (also has reviews here on TripAdvisor). I'd definitely recommend doing the two sites in that order. It was really cool to see the historical pieces first and then get to see artists doing the exact same work today.

Just like the artists supported in centuries past by the Medici family, the artists here create and sell utterly amazing landscapes and other "paintings" made of inlaid stone. There is absolutely no pressure to buy anything; you can just wander about and look at the works on the wall and the works in progress.

One of the junior artists followed us about to answer our questions – as best he could, since we didn't speak Italian and he didn't speak English. One piece in the works is a copy of a Monet Waterlilies painting. He told us that it will take three artists six months to complete the piece! There was also a piece that was a copy the Libyan Sibyl from Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel ceiling that he said took three years to complete! another thing that was cool was seeing a copy of one of the tables we'd seen at the Opificio delle Pietre Dure. I pulled up the picture of the original on my camera to show my husband and the artist who was walking about with us proudly told me that he'd made the copy. (I got a picture of him with the piece!)

We probably spent about half an hour in the studio. No pressure to buy, no cost to enter. What a fun surprise!

We just loved walking around this little workshop and gallery. The artists' pri

1  Thank AnnCS
Reviewed 21 January 2013

These guys are great!
We were brought here by a guide, just to see how the mosaics are made. We didn't even know they sold them. It is a workshop/studio/school first, not a gallery where their main goal is to sell you something. The works are absolutely amazing, and we ended up buying one. It is run by a father and son, and you can see many works in progress. They even showed our sons (teenagers) how to cut the stones.