“Almost Perfect”

Ranked #110 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Chepstow, United Kingdom
“Almost Perfect”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We arrived at Villa Tolomei and I do agree with a previous reviewer the main drag to the Villa looks a little run down and at this point I felt that we had made a mistake,how wrong was i !!! after parking we found our way to to main entrance (not clearly marked yet) we were early and our room was not ready but they kindly took our cases to a holding room so that we could relax and change into our swimwear.
The swimming pool is lovely with amazing views over Florence the pool service was a little slow but only expected as all the staff seem to be getting used to their new roles,the building itself has been sympathetically modernised retaining many original fresco's with contrasting contemporary furniture, we didn't try the Spa but must say they need to advertise it better.
After relaxing by the pool we tried the restaurant the light lunch was excellent although we did notice that the manager spoke with with one Dutch family and ignored the other guests making us feel just a little uncomfortable we wondered how they were getting special treatment ,it is important to treat all guests equal.
We then went to our room No 12 it was amazing spacious with lovely views of the gardens ,massive bed great bathroom and toiletries ,but No Hotel information book, Breakfast needs a little more work on but overall i wouldn't stay anywhere else when visiting Florence its a perfect combination , all my grips are related to teething problems and will be ironed out and i hope to return in the not so distant future , a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Dont have room 12 its mine
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mike_tay
BelliniGianluca, Direttore at Villa Tolomei Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, 17 December 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
thanks for your wonderful review and kind words shared on TripAdvisor; your comments are very important to make our services always better.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Villa Tolomei and really hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Warmest regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Having lived in Florence and visited it almost annually for 20 years I was very interested to read about this project. The newly opened Villa Tolomei is a brilliant 5 star hotel that offers a different way of experiencing Florence. As opposed to feeling the heat and tourist oppression by basing yourself in a hotel within the city walls, Villa Tolomei allows you to be a part of the city (a short, 5 minute trip down from one of the beautiful hills above the town) but also to bask in a relaxed atmosphere, enjoy the swimming pool and spa and take in the splendid views.

Swimming pools and Florence just don't normally go together but the Villa Tolomei has solved this problem for you.

The bedrooms and bathrooms are large and of the highest standard. The Group General Manager Gianluca is extremely charming and 'hands on' and the restaurant food is 'superior' and innovative. When meeting one of the Villa's owners, Vicenzo, it was easy to understand how his passion has resulted in such a painstaking and successful restoration of this 15th Century monastery.

Do Florence differently and enjoy the Villa Tolomei !

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ian M
Dear Ian,
thanks for your wonderful review and such awarding words shared on TripAdvisor.
The hotel reopened last year after a long period of renovation; as you wrote it is an old monastery from the 15th century.
It is just 5 minutes by taxi from the city center and is the perfect place to relax by the panoramic pool after spending a day downtown.
We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Villa Tolomei and really hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Kindest regards
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2013

A new property that exudes old world charm with a touch of moderne flair. The interior of the hotel is exquisite, fully refurbished florentine art in this historic villa. The hotel would not be complete without the friendly, attentive team. Every detail has been considered. The restaurant on the terrace was my favorite destination after a tour of the city. Peaceful, serene and a beautiful view, it is tempting to enjoy the hotel for the entire day. The pool had just opened when I arrived along with the spa. Also with a view of Florence, the pool is surrounded by the hills of Florence and offers a spectacular sunset view. The spa also faces the pool area and offers top of line equipment and services. This is a perfect location to tour the city then escape to a relaxing and beautiful resort setting.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank E M
thanks for your wonderful review and such awarding words shared on TripAdvisor.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Villa Tolomei and hope to welcome you back to enjoy once again our facilities.
Warmest regards
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I want to say thank you to all the staff of this beautiful hotel, Villa Tolomei. I spend a romance week end with my wife in this beautiful Tuscany Villa very close to Florence and everything was perfect. The Suite was beautiful with a 5 stars view , a very comfortable bed and a fantastic shower. I advise everybody to try the Restaurant “Il Conventino”. The food is genuine and really good. My wife tried tha SPA and she was very happy and she is very difficult. The Bar tender Antonio is Magic. So thank you to everybody for this beautiful weekend.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
BelliniGianluca, Direttore at Villa Tolomei Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, 16 December 2014

thanks for your wonderful review and such awarding words shared on TripAdvisor.

We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Villa Tolomei and had the chance to experience our restaurant Il Conventino.

We really hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kindest regards
los gatos
Reviewed 7 July 2013

As we approached the villa, I began to question my decision. It was raining, the skies were grey and it seemed as though we were really far from the city center. I worried and my worries did not subside as we turned onto the unpaved driveway. A beautiful entrance and signage fronted what appeared to be an unkept disaster between it and the villa at the end of that driveway. Weeds, construction tools sitting in the overgrown yard, dust everywhere...I started to think about the theme song to the Addams Family! (duh, duh, duh, dum (snap, snap)....)

As the taxi stopped, the front door flew open and there was one of the uniformed employees struggling to open umbrellas for our arrival. At this point, with the theme song resounding in the back of my mind, the scene became somewhat comical. There appeared not to be another soul in sight and I immediately thought that this was how so many horror movies from the 50s started! But that was the end of the scary movie and the beginning of a wonderful week in Florence.

The hotel itself is amazing. A beautiful old villa, restored to its former glory - even the frescos are freshly retouched. As it is recently completed, everything is in top shape including the new gym, the pool, bar and restaurant. What's more, the staff is meticulous in cleaning every inch of the hotel every day. Honestly, I worried that they were wearing the floors down by scrubbing them so hard both morning and night.

Our room, the Junior Suite, was spacious and comfortable. For three of us, two adults and an almost 6' tall 13 year old, it was more than enough space to put out our suitcases, set up all of the computers, and even have a snack area for cheating before late night dinners! The bathroom was equally large and comfortable. Honestly, it is one of the best showers I've taken in Italy!

The pool area is lovely. It is large and clean with all new furniture and it overlooks Florence. Lovely to spend a late afternoon cooling off after walking around Florence for the better half of the day. The woman who services this area was just fabulous. She was SO kind to my son and when we didn't go out with him, and without our asking her to do so, she stayed right at the pool the whole time he was swimming. She brought us drinks and newspapers and made us wonderfully comfortable. Kudos!

Our first night there, at the bar, we met Antonio. What a great stroke of luck that was for us! We drank BEAUTIFUL grappa and talked food and wine for an hour. He is extremely knowledgable about both and has a lovely demeanor. His willingness to make the guest at home is exactly what general management should aim for in hiring staff, especially at a new resort hotel like Villa Tolomei. In the end, we asked him to point us to two places: restaurants that locals would enjoy that were fit for foodies and great boutique wineries (<20,000 btls / yr) in the Montalcino area that we could visit unannounced. He scored on both accounts. Super committed...that's all that I can say.

After that, we met Gianni who also works at the bar with Antonio. Another gem in the hotel. He was SO kind to everyone in our family and knew us BY NAME! This really isn't difficult when the hotel has so few guests and we stayed there for 5 nights. Why doesn't everyone try to do this? His smile was so warm and his service was extremely gracious.

Another helpful person that we relied on was Kachid. Kachid was my "umbrella" guy one our arrival. Although sometimes his professionalism could have been a bit misinterpreted, I realized after a day or so that he had our best interests at heart. He was resourceful and worked quite hard to please us each time we made a request. Thank you Kachid.

Breakfast - well, you've read it all. Not a bright spot for them but when I discussed this with Antonio on the second night, I saw a vast improvement by the third day. Would I go out of my way to eat there? Nope. And frankly, the breakfast kept us from eating there in the evening. If you are VERY clear what you want, ask for it. They will work hard to accommodate. Whether or not it meets your expectations when delivered, may not be as simple... Food service needs work.

The other place that the hotel failed miserably? Technology. We got no signal in our room so we were forced to work in the hallway, outside in the cold or in the lobby with all of their customer tours happening, laborers getting their daily instructions, etc. Extremely unpleasant. I informed the manager on duty numerous times and they instructed me that everything worked fine. And yes, they are correct, if it was 1996, this would have been state of the art but....well, if you can run your business without email or access for days, it's fine. If you require connectivity, this may be a reason to reconsider or at least bring a mifi as we did.

Finally, one thing I must say is that, while the whole staff worked hard to please the guests, the general manager, the one who should be most concerned about his/her client's comfort was MIA. There was a "welcome reception" for guests but no sign of the management team. Why would I want to go and have a glass of prosecco on the terrace without meeting the management given that I have a glass before dinner each night? Waste of time....

Oops, one more final thing.... The hotel will tell you that you can walk down to the city center to start your day. Ha! The walk is 30 - 40 minutes for those of us who hike 10 - 15 miles per weekend in California! Take the taxi unless you are there simply to exercise your sense of direction. It is about a 10 euro cab ride and the hotel is stellar at getting taxis to the property within about 5 - 10 minutes. And to the staff that believe it is walkable.....manage the expectations of your clients and they'll love you for it. Nobody wants to waste time on their holiday.

Again, working the kinks out but with more potential than most any other property that we've stayed at in Europe! Highly recommend Villa Tolomei!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank annette f
HK
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I stayed in this place for 3 nights in June 2013. Like the previous reviewer, I got hugely discounted rates so it was extremely good value. So I suppose I should not be complaining but there are issues that I would like fellow travellers to be aware of. The hotel is new and thus very clean. It is excellent for those who want to have a serene base. The facilities, both inside and outside the room, were very good. There is a pool, a gym, a restaurant and a bar. The room was spacious and well-equipped (see my photos). There was even a walk-in closet! Both the minibar and the welcome drink were included in the hotel price, so that was good. Two not so desirable issues though: First, the place is rather far from the town centre. If you have a car, then there is no problem. Else you need to rely on taxis. Bus 42 stops right in front of the hotel but it is rather infrequent. An alternative is to take a bus to Porta Romana (many buses stop there) and then walk uphill for about 20 minutes. Second, some guests commented on the good service of the staff. Unfortunately, I personally did not feel particularly impressed. They provided me with some information when asked, but I am afraid I did not notice the friendliness or eagerness to help, which is important for a five-star hotel.

Room Tip: I think all of their rooms are spacious because they are either double rooms or suites.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank PhoenixLam
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2013

For the discounted price we paid, this was truly fantastic value. If we'd paid the 'list' price, not sure I'd have been quite so happy. The hotel has a truly wonderful setting with one of the best views of Florence you'll find. Room was very nice. That said, it is still getting up and running and there's a fair bit of snagging to do and minor building work ongoing around edges. Clearly, a few things have been put together quickly to get the place open for the season. Staff friendly (Antonio a ball of energy) and willing, but they have not got onto the little details yet. For example, no robes in rooms (so what do you wear to and from Spa/Pool/Gym?). No tissues in room. At breakfast both days I had to ask for tea/coffee as (new) staff clearly not briefed that they are meant to ask you when you arrive. Hot food at breakfast was cold, as no heat under containers (just bain marie, may not even have had hot water in it) and nobody was checking. These are just little niggles and I'm sure they'll have this sorted once the team gets into their stride. Restaurant fine, but suspect running limited menu as few guests staying midweek. Breakfast buffet could be more imaginative. Had place just about to ourselves. Oh, and roads up there are narrow. Probably fun in the dark. I'd recommend it, but go prepared to cut them a little slack for the great deal you get.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JTL58
BelliniGianluca, Direttore at Villa Tolomei Hotel and Resort, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your review, the time you spent to write your suggestions is a great value that we will take care of. Maitre Antonio, with his energy, and the whole staff with their efforts will improve our services day by day. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the restaurant with breathtaking terrace, we look forward to welcoming you back!