“Wonderful experience!”

Ranked #144 of 420 Hotels in Florence
Miami, Florida
“Wonderful experience!”
Reviewed 8 January 2012

This was my first time in ITaly, so everything was quite new to me. The first night we arrived to the hotel, Mario, his wife, and his daughter were sitting in the lobby. First impression, they seemed reserved but welcoming. We arrived super late, but the room was ready. The breakfast was really good. The staff was always helpful, respectful, and discrete. The location was spectacular, two blocks from the train station and two blocks from the Duomo. Everyone (the staff) was a character on their own!
The room was beautiful, it had lots of closet/storage space. The beds were not super comfy, but they were not that bad.
I would def recommend this hotel to anyone, given that I did not suffer from any bad experiences!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Laura C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 15 December 2011

We decided to stay an extra night in Florence, and fortunately, our original hotel was completely booked. After a quick internet search, I found this hotel and booked it. We had no idea what we were walking into, but it turned out to be the best room in a 2 week trip! We were given the studio apartment on the first floor (actually outside the gated entrance). It was STUNNING! The bedroom was in a loft above the living room, reached by a wooden spiral staircase. The bathroom was very small but manageable and there was a small kitchenette, although it was inoperable during our stay. The architecture and furnishings were amazing. I can't really speak for the service as we were only there for one short night. They were friendly and helpful finding a restaurant for dinner. If I ever go back to Florence, this will be the ONLY place I will stay!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SpencerSAS
Patterson, California
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We just returned from our second trip to Florence and this hotel. It is a wonderful, charming place in a very central location. The rooms are extremely well appointed and Mario and le signore are fabulous hosts and hostesses, making you feel as though you have been part of the family for years. Mario is also very helpful in finding things to do in Florence should you contact him ahead of your arrival (or once you are there) as he knows so much about the city. The 17th century frescoes on the walls add to the charm and comfortable feel of the hotel. Rooms are large and reasonably priced compared to other Italian cities. Breakfast when we were there included several items that had been baked that morning and were absolutely delicious. We chose to return to this hotel a second time because of the kind service we received and the overwhelming positive feeling you get just being there. The proximity to the train station, cathedrals and museums only added to the wonder of the place.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Katiel7
Reviewed 1 December 2011

We were upgraded to this hotel from hotel alloro (upstairs) due to us being on our honeymoon and the burchianti was meant have the best room.

After checking in and being shown our room by the middle aged man we were amazed by beauty of the paintings and decor.

We then started to put some of our goods in the fridge, such as wine, cheese, beer etc. The shelf on the fridge popped off and a beer exploded on the tile floors. Due to the nice room and feel we decided to ask them for a mop instead of using their bath towels. Wasnt this a mistake, the middle aged man came in with a broom and tools and proceeded to clean vety unhappily, cusing and cursing and taking all our stuff out telling us we arent allowed to use the bar fridge for our own things. It was an acident and easily to clean on tiles nad he carried on like a 2 year old kid. Needless to say we didnt bother leaving the room as we felt very uncomfortable and could not believe how he carried on.

Breakfast if you can call it that is a few croisants in plastic, some yoghurt, muesili and another type of cereal. I was asked what coffee i would like so i ordered a latte, i was given a little jug of frothed milk, no coffee whatso ever.

So the room was nice although your not allowed to use the fridge, probably can't use the cupboards to put your clothes in and suprised we were allowed to use the bed for 'our own use'.

If you stay here and spill anything do not do the right thing and ask for help, clean it yourself with their towels and then rinse their towels!!

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank worthy01
New Jersey
Reviewed 22 November 2011

we stayed for 7 nights last week (2 nights last nov). the hotel is a gem. the entire staff, mario, la signora and the others are a pleasure and go out of their way to please you. great location and frescos on the ceilings.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
San Jose CA
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We just returned from 3 weeks in Italy, with the Burchianti our first stop upon arrival in Florence. I always seek out small boutique hotels and this one is a perfect example of a non-chain place to stay. The hotel itself is clean and comfortable, and Mario the concierge is a true gift to travelers. He recommended places to eat and museum exhibits to see, gave us a map and helped orient us to the neighborhood, and made calls and reservations for us. We explained that we were only staying two nights, then going away for a week, and then returning to Florence but staying in an apartment for a week--and Mario offered to help us with reservations and information upon our return to Florence, even though we would not be staying at the hotel again.

The hotel offers a nice breakfast with great coffee, and the building itself is really wonderful if you like old palatial spaces. Our room was the studio apartment on the third floor. It had great views of the city, a small kitchen, and was probably much larger than the other rooms. The trade offs were:
1. No frescoes on the ceiling, which I would have liked
2. Elevator service did not go to the floor our room was on--it was sort of like a lovely, nicely renovated garret. This was important mostly for our arrival and departure, but we needed to lug our baggage up a narrow flight of stairs to our room.
3. Wifi service seemed to be better downstairs than in our room, where we ideally would have liked to access it.
4. There was not much space for storing our belongings....no closet, just, if memory serves me well, one dresser and a desk.
I don't think that any of these were deal breakers. However, on my next trip to Florence, I will be sure to ask for a downstairs room so that I can see what that experience is like as well.

Room Tip: When booking, if you don't want the studio apartment, be sure to mention that you want a room ne...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Malaysia
Reviewed 21 October 2011

I stayed in a single room in this hotel. Be aware that you will not have a room that has a fresco if you stay in a single room. The photos of the rooms that are provided by the hotel do not depict their single rooms.

When I arrived I was initially given an unacceptable room. These were the problems:

The room had no proper window. It is true that there are glass panels, covered by wooden shutters, in the door to the room. What I mean is that there are windows, of a sort, literally in the middle of the room's front door. These “windows” look out into the hotel's hallway, as opposed to the outside of the building like a real window. So, if you open the wooden shutters to reveal these “windows”, you will not have any privacy. Opening the shutters will mean that anyone in the hallway will be able to see your entire room and whatever you are doing. There really isn't any natural light. There is no natural light because there are no real windows, and by “real windows” I mean windows that open to the outdoors.

This room was a strange narrow rectangular shape with single beds against the wall. It really did look like they'd actually converted a broom closet into a room. No windows, narrow rectangular shape, I really wouldn't be surprised if this room actually used to be a closet or store room of some kind. In the bathroom they had a very strange hairdryer. Unlike every other wall hair dryer that I've ever seen, this one had a nozzle like a vacuum cleaner.

In my opinion, it is totally unacceptable to expect someone to pay to stay in that room and the owners/manager should know better. It was terrible and the room should not be used to house guests.

After I saw this room, I asked to be changed to a room with a window. The man who I asked was not the manager (a middle aged man). Rather, I asked a much younger man who I saw working in the hotel a few times during my stay. This young man was so lovely, genuine and very helpful. He moved me to a better room (room no.7) and this room had a window that opened out to the courtyard. This new room had pros and cons:

Pros: The internet connection worked and the connection speed was good enough. Also, the double bed was very comfortable and I slept well. The water pressure in the shower was fine and the wall hairdryer had a normal nozzle, unlike the one in the room that I was initially given.

Cons: The room really needs a fresh coat of paint. The walls are grotty with many scuff marks. Also, there were no free power points in the room. In order to use my laptop, I had to unplug the fridge. The power point in the bathroom is a low voltage outlet for electric razors, so it is not an option. For me, the lack of free power points was a problem. The safe in the room didn't work. Another problem was the minibar. When I arrived it was not fully stocked. It only had a bottle of water and two cans of soft drink. I drank the bottle of water but no new bottles were put inside. The mini bar wasn't restocked at all during my stay. So, if you want a cold bottle of water, make sure that you buy some yourself and put them in the fridge.

As for the hotel in general, the foyer is nice, with a high roof. The woman who makes coffee at breakfast is really nice, as is the young man who moved me to the second room.

It is hard for me to rate this hotel as “poor” since some of the people working there seemed very kind. The reason why I'm doing this is because it simply wasn't good value for money and while the second room was much better than the first, it still had problems. It wouldn't take much effort to improve the hotel so that solo/business travellers could have a very good experience, comparable to the experiences that are discussed in the favourable reviews on this site.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get the room with no window!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo