“Avoid”

Ranked #385 of 421 Hotels in Florence
New York
“Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2007

I read great reviews of this place and was completely mislead. The place is definitely not worth your money. It has a good location, but thats about it. In fact we found the place pretty scary and couldnt even stay there. The staff was friendly and helpful, but I would recommend going for a 3 star hotel and spending the extra $20 bucks. At least you will not feel as ripped off as we did when we were given the key to our room. I was extremely disappointed and it definitely was not what I expected after reading the reviews. I was charged $100 plus tax which came to about $125/night. You can find MUCH better places for about $150. Definitely worth it to spend the extra 25 dollars!

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank NewYorkTravel12345

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2007

This is the best 1-star hotel I've seen.
The location is very convenient, it's close to all the landmarks.
The room was neat and cozy.
The service was great, we got various information and recommendation of a good restaurant.
The breakfast was very nice.
For conclusion - great value and highly recommended!

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank silenzio
belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2006

a very nice hotel with friendly staff. i had a satisfying 3-night stay in this hotel in florence. one thing to mention: i lost my digital photo storage box in this hotel, and their staff found it back and mailed it to me. i feel very grateful for this help.

• Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank xmw
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2006

I enjoyed by stay at the hotel Colorado very much. The hotel is small and the rooms are not without their flaws, but for the price I paid, I am 110% happy. The owner was very friendly, I felt safe in my room, and the bed was comfortable. The downsides - you have to walk the stairs to the hotel (not really a problem unless you have many bags). Also, in a style similar to several hostels I have stayed in, the bathroom was small (the sink was in the shower). All this being said, if you are looking for an inexpensive place to stay in florence, I highly recommend the hotel colorado.

Stayed April 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2006

We stayed at Hotel Colorado in October 2005 with our 2 little children. If you have a lot of luggage, take a taxi from the Florence SMN train station. Otherwise, it's about a 20 minute walk from there. Many steps to the 2nd floor(more like 3rd floor), where the hotel is located, no elevator. The staff is friendly and they speak English. Continental Breakfast included with room. Our triple room was large and clean with a small balcony opening to the indoor courtyard. No television. No hairdryer. Our bathroom was large and clean. Reception desk is closed at night and you have a key issued to gain entrance to the hotel which is on one floor of the building it is in. Close to the sites and minutes from the Accademia. Franco, who answered our e-mail from the hotel booked reservations for us at the Accademia and Uffizi. We would stay here again. Pack light.

1 Thank Suburbanite05
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2006

At 35 Euros a night you can't go wrong. The entrance however, is a bit scary. It means taking two flights of stairs in a dark, dingy stairwell. I was wandering what I had gotten myself into. When I opened the door to the hotel, however, all seemed right. There is only staff during the daytime but, guests are given keys to their room and the dingy stairway to let themselves in and out at any time. The staff is English speaking, friendly and helpful. The room and the bathroom are fully equiped (except for no tv) and very clean. The location is walking distance from most of the tourist sights and is also walking distance to the train station. Because the rooms are small and there is no real lobby, this is probably not a good place for children.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2005

We visited the Hotel Colorado in early November 2005. The staff was friendly, and the hotel was clean. We stayed in a double room, which included both a full bed and a small twin bed, and shower stall in private bathroom, for $54 euro per night. The rate included a typical breakfast (cheeses, rolls, nutella, coffee).

It's about a 10 to 15 minute walk from the City Center, but very close to the Piazza San Marco, which is bus hub and taxi stand. When we visited it was an 18 euro ride from the airport. Although the hotel suggests you can walk from the train station, I imagine it would be a lengthy walk with luggage. Although slightly farther out than hotels closer to the train station, we did walk easily to the Uffizi, Galleria dell'Accademia, Pitti Palace, and other tourist sites from the hotel. The area seemed safe during the evening for the two of us to walk around in.

Although the staff spoke as little English as we spoke Italian, there were generally no problems.

My only complaint was that the warm weather prompted the hotel staff to open the windows when cleaning the room each day, and half a dozen thirsty mosquitos took up residence in our room.

1 Thank washingtondcgirl