“Centrally located to bus station” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Montreal

Hotel Montreal
Ranked #149 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Northern California
“Centrally located to bus station”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2008

Rooms were very clean; fortunately there was a "lift" to take our suitcases up or down. Breakfast was terrific. And the hotel was about 5 minutes to everything.

Stayed October 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
San Mateo Ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2008

We were here in April so not too crowded and we had a room on the 1st floor quite near the elevator. I did explore and found the long hall and stairs to the other floors as mentioned by others. Our room was small but otherwise fine as was the small bath.
Breakfast was meager even for Italy but better than nothing.
We booked because of the location near the train station, though in the rain it wasn't close enough! We also took a bus to Siena from the station right close and yes, walking to the main sights and market was very easy.
One of the best things was a little restaurant a couple of doors away called "La Grotta di Leo" where meals were reasonably priced and apparently popular with the locals. We ate there 3 times along with family and school groups in the various rooms which were always full.

• Liked — Location for sightseeing
  • Disliked — Price and breakfast
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2008

Small, basic, clean hotel. Great value too.
Good location - very close to train and bus station which was great when we arrived at midnight!
Staff were friendly and helpful.
Our double room was clean and well equipped, if a bit small.
Bathroom was clean and well equipped also.
Hotel is a short walk to the main sites - generally no more than 15 minutes.
Breakfast was ok. Basic continental choice. Avoid their coffee though - it's dire!

• Liked — location and price!
  • Disliked — coffee - urgh!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Utrecht
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2008

We booked via booking.com and had two double bedrooms. The rooms and bathrooms were nice and clean. We stayed at the 'depandance' unit which is simply a short walk from the main hotel. It was no problem to walk down the road for the included breakfast. Keep in mind there are a few stairs though to get to the rooms. Very close to the train station!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Falkirk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2008

My friends and I recently spent two nights at this hotel and would highly recommend it. The hotel is very central and within walking distance of all the beauty of Florence as well as being only two minutes walk from the train station.

The staff were welcoming and very helpful. The rooms were larger than I expected with a small balcony. They were clean and bright with air conditioning, a definite must in the heat of Florence in the summer.

The hotel is in a quiet side street so no noise late at night.

The hotel is very reasonably priced with the added bonus of breakfast included in the price. I would use this hotel again and would recommend it for both business and pleasure.

• Liked — large airy room with balcony
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank am16green
Hong Kong
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a night on August 17, 2008. First, this hotel is very close to the train station, but so are loads of hotel in the area - so nothing unique or special about location. The room I got is Ok for a triple, is on the small side but it is fine with me as basically I use hotel to sleep only. Carpet on the lift - very dirty. My room was on 1st floor where I suspect hotel must have used it as their storage area as well, outside my room, loads and loads of big blue sacks piled at the entrance hallway, worries me that should a fire broke out at night, my children and I might not be able to run due to these obstructions, wouldn't recommend to travellers with small children or seniors. Beside my room is a toilet (I have my own bathroom so I don't have to use this one). The problem is it opened and closed the whole night causing a lot of noise and keep waking me up, people (not sure if travellers or staff of the hotel) keep walking and talking outside my room. The major problem is air-con doesn't work, I went down to inform the receptionist, he told me flatly there is nothing he can do, can't change room as it is fully booked (I don't believe him), I requested a fan then, he went down the basement supposedly to look and told me there is no fan, and just turn his back on me like I am a nuisance. I am so tired after travelling the whole day so wouldn’t want to argue with him. Imagine, almost 30 degree in a room with no air-con, can't open the windows as overlooking the roof, for security reason, it is unwise to open them. Breakfast is definitely something you could miss, can't even remember what I have eaten except for a bread. When I went out for sightseeing in the morning, Mr. Receptionist requested I leave the room key and he hung it on a rack at the reception area. At around lunch time, I decided to return back to hotel to have a shower as it is really hot, there is no one at the reception area. I waited for about 7 minutes, still no one in sight and I just go around the table and grab my room key and go straight to my room. Absolutely no security at all!! Room keys are hung in open area; people can come in and just grab keys on the rack and ransack every hotel room. There is still no one at the reception area when I went out again after my shower so I decided to take the key with me. And even when I checked-out later there is still no one in the reception area so after waiting for a while, I just return the key on the rack and pull my luggage and left as I have train to catch.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — air-con, security, noisy
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tonkaabby
boccaFlorence, Hotel Manager at Hotel Montreal, responded to this review, 2 September 2008
Dear Sir,
I read your "impressions" about your very short stay in Florence and in our Hotel .
I am very sorry thay your stay was very terrible , 1 night stay cannot consired enough time to have a full and real idea of the Hotel .
we all work very hard everyday to ensure a good stay to all our customers and we all do make mistakes in our work.
We will keep improving and try to ensure always the best for our precious customers.
I apologize again if our Hotel did not satisfy your expectetions .
With concern
Roberto Boccacelli
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2008

Don't be fooled by some of the reviews. If you are given room 303, run away!!! We were told to take the elevator to the first floor(of course they neglected to tell us that was as far as it goes), we had to haul our luggage through a labirynth of hallways and up 2 flights. The room smelled as though someone had deficated on the rugs. Some other druken tourists, decided also to relieve themselves in a vase that stood just outside our doorway. The smell was unbearable and when I complained all they could say, was "Mi Dispiace". The stay at this hotel put a damper on our visit to Florence.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — deception about the elevator, and smellly rrom!!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family