Il Bargello B&B
Ranked #82 of 659 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This B&B was very nice. The owner and her helper were friendly and very helpful. We arrived in Florence much earlier than expected (10:30 am) and were a little hesitant about showing up at the B&B too early. When we rang the bell and told them that we had reservations, the owner responded with a very friendly exclamation of my first name and expressed excitement that we have arrived. I knew from other reviews that they were on the 3rd floor (4th for US) and that they had no elevator. The owner and her helper came running down the stairs to help us with our luggage. Once at the B&B, they were more than eager to get us settled even with our early arrival. Throughout our stay they were very friendly and continued to provide helpful information.

The location was ideal and very convenient. The hotel is only a half a block from the Bargello Museum and 1 block to the Uffizi Gallery. It was only about a 2-3 block walk to the Duomo.

Room Tip: Our room had a balcony which was a very nice place to kick back and relax for an hour before heading...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank karenupp

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed two nights. Location is perfect- close to everything we wanted to see. You can see the top of the Duomo and the tower of the Bargello from the rooftop deck, which is an excellent spot for early evening wine and snacks. Gabriella is a great hostess, and we enjoyed the breakfast in her kitchen along with the conversation. The room was small, but neat and clean. The only complaint we could make would be the outside noise at all hours of the night. But, that comes with sleeping in the heart of a tourist filled city. The steps to the rooms are steep and long, which might be tough for some. Bring small luggage!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Boscoe1695
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed at Il Bargello only one night, as we only spent one night in Florence. The location was fantastic! The owners were very nice and were there to greet us the afternoon we arrived. They gave us a quick tour and then let us hit the town. The rooms were nice, with great views. The roof top terrace is a must see. We grabbed a bottle of wine from a local shop and enjoyed the late evening views. Breakfast was good, they make a mean cappuccino. We got up a little early so we were trying not to wake other guests. If anything, the walls are a tough bit thin, so you could hear people stumbling back in during the wee hours. The stairs are a bear as well, it feels like you will never get to the top ;-)

But alas, the place is a great place to stay. Clean, close to everything, and only a 6-8 euro taxi ride to the train station, and about 15 minutes to the airport. It was really a gem, we wish we could have stayed an additional night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OrangeCoLumberTruck
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Just finished another stay at il Bargello, this time with my grown daughter and a good friend. I have stayed at il Bargello several times in the past few years; in different rooms and in the apartment. I would stay nowhere else in Florence. Beyond the cleanliness, the view from the terrace and the unmatched location, it's Gabriella who makes this B&B an extraordinary experience. Over several stays she has fought the airlines on my behalf about lost luggage, given great advice about navigating Florence, helped me try to sound like an Italian when ordering food...and does it with vitality that always impresses. Frankly, I don't know how she does it. She genuinely makes you feel at home.

Simply, I would not stay anywhere else in Florence. My advice is that you cannot go wrong and will be delighted with all aspects of il Bargello. I wish I could give more than five stars.

My daughter and friend thanked me several times for insisting we stay at il Bargello.

My only reservation about giving five enthusiastic stars is that I will shoot myself in the foot by contributing to her popularity and she will become so booked-up that the next time I seek a booking, she won't have a room. I would probably rearrange my trip to get a room with her (and I'm not kidding).

Go to Firenze, stay at Gabriella's and it will be gold lining to your trip.

Note...I saw one reviewer complain about breakfast. I'm not sure if they didn't take their medicine or they come from another planet, or have never been in Italy before or what, but I'll be polite and only say I strongly disagree with them.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent...just pick one and enjoy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank R W
Reviewed 19 April 2014

It just shows how subjective trip advisor is. I loved just about everything in this place and this was by far the best breakfast we had in Italy, we were so sick of pastries that it was so refreshing to have good muesli, lovely seeded and wholemeal toast, fresh fruit and delicious butter and jams. Coffee also excellent. I would recommend this place to anyone, the position so central, rooms tasteful and clean. Living areas relaxing and being able to make coffee, tea and use kitchen facilities was such a bonus. Krista was so helpful and lovely. So reviewer who complained about breakfast well I am amazed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Family of 4 adults stayed at the Bargello for 6 nights over New Years. Excellent location and the room was great looking out at three bell towers. Wonderful people, loved the common kitchen, living room and rooftop patio. Rick Steves was right on mark with his recommendation.

Dead tired from walking and climbing stairs all day, we would enjoy the kitchen and rooftop patio with a good bottle of wine, great cheese and sausage.

Gabriella was wonderfully helpful with anything we needed. The Bargello made our trip to Florence very memorable.

Room Tip: We had two rooms: one double and one with two singles. Both were large and very comfortable. Loved...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2014

This was the first time for my hysband and myself in Florence, and I must say that Il Bargello was one of the highlights of the trip :) you get an instant feel of a family-like place, very cosy, we stayed at a relatively spacious room (Michael Angelo). Very clean rooms and bathrooms. The place has around 6 rooms, you get a nice cosy kitchen, and it has a nice small terrace with a fantastic view of Florence rooftops (and a tiny bit of the Duomo), it's a nice place to unwind. Gabrielle (the owner) was very welcoming, and makes great cappuccino in the morning :) So if you don't mind going up 3 floors on the stairs, this bed and breakfast is a great place if you opt for something small, cosy, and central (everything is a walking distance, and right behind the Duomo). Big thanks to Gabrielle :)

Room Tip: "Michael Angelo" room was more spacious than others. Also there is another room with a pri...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple