“excellent place to stay”
Review of Il Bargello B&B

Il Bargello B&B
Ranked #79 of 640 Florence B&B and Inns
Portland, Maine
“excellent place to stay”
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We spent 4 nights here and loved it. It is very central to all the sights in Florence. It is clean, well air-conditioned with windows that can be opened if the weather is nice. It also has a great private terrace from which most of the dome can be seen. Gabrielle and Simone were very friendly and helpful. We would definately stay here again. The only improvement/recommendation I would make would be to add some protein to the carb heavy breakfast, perhaps a boiled egg or some cheese.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
Arvada, Colorado
Reviewed 15 July 2014

First stay in Florence, there were six of us traveling from the states. We could not have asked for a better place to rest our traveling bodies. Gabriella makes you feel at home, with a wonderful cup of coffee in the morning, great conversation, and a garden terrace that provides a roof top look at the city of Florence. Her location was perfect to all the sights we wanted to see and Gabriella and Simone provided little tips on restaurants and shopping that helped us a lot in a city we were unfamiliar with. Highly recommend this B & B!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Nelson, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Our first stay in Italy was a great way to start our vacation, what a gem of a B&B. Gabriella makes your stay even better, what a wonderful hostess. Our room was so comfortable, and we really enjoyed our small balcony. Breakfast in the morning was a wonderful start to each day, we visited
with all the other guest and Gabriella, met new friends, and the cappuccino is awesome. Gabriella
was always so helpful with directions, attractions, and resturants, so happy to help in any way. Just remember there are many stairs to climb to get to her door, but well worth it !

Room Tip: 3 flights of stairs to climb to get to the B&B
2 Thank Shayroni
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This B&B was very nice. The owner and her helper were friendly and very helpful. We arrived in Florence much earlier than expected (10:30 am) and were a little hesitant about showing up at the B&B too early. When we rang the bell and told them that we had reservations, the owner responded with a very friendly exclamation of my first name and expressed excitement that we have arrived. I knew from other reviews that they were on the 3rd floor (4th for US) and that they had no elevator. The owner and her helper came running down the stairs to help us with our luggage. Once at the B&B, they were more than eager to get us settled even with our early arrival. Throughout our stay they were very friendly and continued to provide helpful information.

The location was ideal and very convenient. The hotel is only a half a block from the Bargello Museum and 1 block to the Uffizi Gallery. It was only about a 2-3 block walk to the Duomo.

Room Tip: Our room had a balcony which was a very nice place to kick back and relax for an hour before heading...
1 Thank karenupp
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights. Location is perfect- close to everything we wanted to see. You can see the top of the Duomo and the tower of the Bargello from the rooftop deck, which is an excellent spot for early evening wine and snacks. Gabriella is a great hostess, and we enjoyed the breakfast in her kitchen along with the conversation. The room was small, but neat and clean. The only complaint we could make would be the outside noise at all hours of the night. But, that comes with sleeping in the heart of a tourist filled city. The steps to the rooms are steep and long, which might be tough for some. Bring small luggage!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Boscoe1695
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed at Il Bargello only one night, as we only spent one night in Florence. The location was fantastic! The owners were very nice and were there to greet us the afternoon we arrived. They gave us a quick tour and then let us hit the town. The rooms were nice, with great views. The roof top terrace is a must see. We grabbed a bottle of wine from a local shop and enjoyed the late evening views. Breakfast was good, they make a mean cappuccino. We got up a little early so we were trying not to wake other guests. If anything, the walls are a tough bit thin, so you could hear people stumbling back in during the wee hours. The stairs are a bear as well, it feels like you will never get to the top ;-)

But alas, the place is a great place to stay. Clean, close to everything, and only a 6-8 euro taxi ride to the train station, and about 15 minutes to the airport. It was really a gem, we wish we could have stayed an additional night.

1 Thank OrangeCoLumberTruck
Winter Park, FL
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Just finished another stay at il Bargello, this time with my grown daughter and a good friend. I have stayed at il Bargello several times in the past few years; in different rooms and in the apartment. I would stay nowhere else in Florence. Beyond the cleanliness, the view from the terrace and the unmatched location, it's Gabriella who makes this B&B an extraordinary experience. Over several stays she has fought the airlines on my behalf about lost luggage, given great advice about navigating Florence, helped me try to sound like an Italian when ordering food...and does it with vitality that always impresses. Frankly, I don't know how she does it. She genuinely makes you feel at home.

Simply, I would not stay anywhere else in Florence. My advice is that you cannot go wrong and will be delighted with all aspects of il Bargello. I wish I could give more than five stars.

My daughter and friend thanked me several times for insisting we stay at il Bargello.

My only reservation about giving five enthusiastic stars is that I will shoot myself in the foot by contributing to her popularity and she will become so booked-up that the next time I seek a booking, she won't have a room. I would probably rearrange my trip to get a room with her (and I'm not kidding).

Go to Firenze, stay at Gabriella's and it will be gold lining to your trip.

Note...I saw one reviewer complain about breakfast. I'm not sure if they didn't take their medicine or they come from another planet, or have never been in Italy before or what, but I'll be polite and only say I strongly disagree with them.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent...just pick one and enjoy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends