“very atmospheric”
Review of Hotel Bretagna

Hotel Bretagna
Ranked #134 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 14 February 2008

Hotel Bretagna is amazing, its like stepping into another century but in a nice way! It is very handy for the main station and is a only a few minutes walk from the centre of town. Florence is a beautiful city and if you like old buildings and are an art lover its a city you must visit.
I would recommend booking a ' superior bedroom' at the hotel as they are in the process of renovating the hotel and these rooms have been refurbished and are very nice. The first couple of nights we were put into a lovely room with a fantastic whirlpool bath and a view of the Ponte Veccio, this was done at no extra charge as I fancied a bath. We were then moved to another equally nice room with a power shower but unfortunately no bath. The only thing I would say is that my partner and I found the beds exceptionally hard, so if you like a soft bed this place is not for you!
The staff were friendly and helpful, the buffet breakfast was fine, again if you like a full English breakfast this hotel would not suit you.
On the whole everything was very good (apart from the bed) and I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank historyloverGlasgow

Reviewed 11 December 2007

Granted, I selected the cheaper room, but this place was disgusting. Charm is not the word. My hall had 10 rooms sharing 1 retrofitted bathroom that is smaller than my closet. I flushed the toilet, and water bubbled out of the sink. My room also had very little heat, smelled, and there were stains on the bedspread. The room was also poorly retrofitted for electricity and would not have come close to passing code in the US. In 30 minutes, I packed up and left for any new lodging along the street. I landed at Hotel degli Orafi, which was magnificent.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank RhondaTravelAgent
Reviewed 24 November 2007

The hotel is in a good location on the river front, giving you lovely views of the Arno and the Ponte Vecchio. Everything you want to see is within walking distance, as are a great number of good restaurants & shops. The hotel is within part of an old palace & is a beautiful historic building. The part we stayed in had been recently refurbished to a good standard, the room was spacious, clean & comfy. As it was November it did get a bit chilly but we were fine once we'd worked out the heating unit & with extra blankets. Staff were v friendly & helpful. Breakfast was good, lots of choice. The only problem we had was with hot water, which was a bit unpredictable, other than that an excellent place to stay & v good value.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank laab
Reviewed 23 November 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Bretagna from Nov 12-15th in room 40 for 65 euro/night (it was low season). There are both renovated and unrenovated rooms iin the Bretagna. We were first placed in room 14 at check-in, but it was tiny, had no view, and no character. We had 3 suitcases with us and needed more space, so I requested a larger room. If I were you, I would request to see which rooms are available.. There are many beautiful, renovated rooms and it will make a big difference in your vacation. We ended up in room 40, which was perfect. A view of the Arno, a jacuzzi bath, marble bathroom, a double and a twin bed, nicely heated.
Also, ask for a tour of the rooms closed to the public, under renovation... this used to be a mansion used by a king, and it is pretty amazing! Almost better than going to the Uffizi, I really enjoyed seeing the place as it was hundreds of years ago.
The location is perfect... We enjoyed the area south of the Arno almost as much as the center of florence/duomo area. It was really nice to be close to both! And only 1.5 blocks to the Ponte Vecchio. You can't beat it at this price.
The breakfast was sufficient, crossiants, ham, nutella, jam, coffee, tea, cereal, etc... you will be eating a lot in Florence and breakfast should be the one place you try to cut back!!
The front desk scheduled our reservations at the Uffizi and Accademia galleries through email which was great.. didn't have to wait in line.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank laragrey
Reviewed 27 October 2007

Hotel Bretagna was beautiful. We had a huge room with a comfortable bed. There was big modern bathroom with a nice big shower and we had giant fresco of cherubs on our ceiling...very romantic. The building is situated right on the Arno River right by the Ponte Vecchio. Great location for walking to and from the sights of Florence. Breakfast was served every morning in a large pretty dining room where they had soothing jazz playing. A very nice touch.
However, they were renovating the building and put us in a room that should have never been rented. It was right next to the room they were working on and we were forced to wake up to drilling and sawing at 8:00 each morning. When I came home to take a nap one day at 4:00, it was still going on and I couldn't sleep. When we complained, they told us that they would ask the workers to hold off until 9:30 am to start working and the next morning they were at it again at 8. Not sun and very frustrating if you are on vacation looking for peace and relaxation. The hotel advertised that there was a TV in the room and there was but it did not work at all. When we said something to the man at the front desk, he gave us attitude and said, "well we say that you get a TV but we don't guarantee the TV works." Do not leave valuables in the room because the room is not secure and the windows are so old, they do not lock properly. We were planning on staying for 3 nights and decided to leave after 2 because we had had it. The should have given us a night's stay free of charge for all the hassle but instead they only gave us 30 Euros off.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank greek_geek
hotelbretagna, manager at Hotel Bretagna, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2007

Dear Sirs,
We are very sorry for the works that were going, but the rennovation can permit our guests to stay in better conditions, we want to make the atmosphere more beautiful. However, the room number 8 where you have stayed is the most beautiful room in our hotel, where the king of Holland Luigi Napoleone has slept. Hotel Bretagna is a hotel in an old fiorentine style, so you can't say that the room is old, because it is it's style, the room was recently rennovated. If you don't like the antique style Hotel bretagna is not for you. Usually we sell it at 160 euro, you paid only 100 euro per night. Also we didn't make you pay the cocktails of the bar. But instead of thanking us you are speaking bad about our hotel. As for TV now it works, but one that comes to Florence to see it usually doesn't stay all the day in the room, because he is busy exploring Florence.

Reviewed 7 October 2007

After arriving in Florence by train my friend and I walked to the Bretagna which is located on the Arno River. Though we knew this it was slightly difficult to find, as we walked past it twice and even joked about it not existing.
Though it is going through alot of restorations this quaint, cozy hotel attributed to a wonderful stay in Firenze. We were welcomed by Valentino who gave us the grand tour, on the way to our room.
We had a room in the back which blocked any street noise that the front rooms might have had.
A small breakfast is offered and when we asked for any help on tours, etc the front desk was ALWAYS helpful.

I will stay here again when I return.

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed 3 October 2007

hotel location one of best in world - rooms elegant, well-furnished and clean - facilities good and being upgraded - staff very intelligent, friendly and helpful - amazing value for a delightful holiday

Stayed: September 2007