“Beautiful View”
Review of Hotel Bretagna

Hotel Bretagna
Ranked #133 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Stayed at this hotel for only one night and in a single room. The location is fantastic with wonderful views of the river Arno. The staff are very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was abundant with plenty of choice and you can enjoy your breakfast while your eyes feast on the view of the river and the lovely buildings along it. From the balcony you can see Ponte Vecchio. My room was small but very clean and it had everything I needed. I would stay there again and ask for a room with a view though I imagine the price would be higher.

Room Tip: As I said it would be worth it to have a room with a view but maybe making sure that it is also quie...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,112)

Reviewed 29 August 2014

I stayed here with my daughter for two nights. I'd say the main part of the hotel is classic style while the annex part we stayed in has more boutique style rooms, even though it is in a wonderful old building. With a cute little, old lift or a wonderful marble staircase. The room we were staying in was huge. I have always liked traditional furnishings but the furnishings and decor in our room were very modern and stylish, very nice. The room was spotlessly clean and the staff were friendly. The dining room for breakfast was in a splendid room with beautiful ceilings and a wonderful view over the river. The location is excellent and only a few minutes from shops and restaurants. The Ponte Vecchio, Uffizi Gallery and Pitti Palace are only a ten minute walk away. An ideal location to explore Florence. Would recommend 100%. I couldn't smell anything fishy around the entrance as some previous reviews have mentioned BTW.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed 3 nights to explore Florence. We found the reception staff very helpful and welcoming on arrival, even assisted with booking tickets to skip the lines (Thank you) Unfortunately we had an issue with A/C (it was not cooling at all) we had to request a fan to make it bearable. The phone in our room didn't work to be able to call reception so we had to leave our room and walk to reception personally to inform them of the A/C and Phone issue. Also hot water stopped working completely by the 3rd night which I informed reception when paying our final bill (the night before checkout) The hotel is aware of the issue but can't do anything for us...lucky it's summer! Other things to note is the curtains didn't fit the width of the window therefore light comes in day or night when trying to sleep. (I used my aeroplane mask to compensate). No tea & coffee making facilities in the room. No bottle opener for wine (however reception kindly gave us one to use) Breakfast was ok, the staff at breakfast seemed to have an attitude not friendly like the reception staff. To finish on a positive as I don't like complaining: our room was a great size and furnished beautifully. The view was lovely over the river and really the location is amazing you can walk everywhere comfortably to see all you need to in Florence. When I come back I would consider staying here again but I would keep my options open as I didn't feel €537 for 3 nights was worth no A/C & no hot water.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We have stayed at the Bretagna since our son was in school there in 2000. At first it was more of Penzione! Now more of a full amenity hotel. Fantastic location, great staff, very comfortable accommodations and great price. Would stay there first when visiting Fierienze! Could not be more convenient to every important attraction, restaurant--shopping if you are so inclined--we are not other than the Mercato!

Room Tip: Get a room in the back off the hallway if you want real quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Perfect place to stay while exploring Firenze. The hotel is facing the river and has a great view of Ponte Vecchio. Its less than a 5 mins walk to Galleria Uffizi and near to all tourist attractions & shopping as well as walking distance to the train station. The staff is extremely nice and breakfast is great! There is also a great ice cream shop right across the river in front of the hotel. So enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This hotel is perfectly situated overlooking the many bridges including ponte vecchio and right by the river. Our room had glorious views overlooking the above and the restaurant had a balcony where one could enjoy a chilled glass of wine whilst taking in these most amazing views.
The hotel reception staff were really friendly and helpful and it was a pleasure to spend a few days here.

Room Tip: One overlooking the river and bridges.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We spent one night , two days in this beautiful old hotel on the River Arno in Florence. We booked late and got a substantial reduction in price. Florence is a nightmare to park in. We drove direct to the Hotel through restricted zones, on their instruction, and parked in the loading bay outside the front of their Hotel. The receptionist then called a garage who for a blanket fee of 27 euros per day drove our car to their nearby garage facility and paid our "congestion charge".
Our room was huge, elegantly modernised and afforded a dramatic view along the river to the Ponte Vecchio. The receptionists were fantastically helpful, booking us reservations for The Uffizi Gallery the next day and looking after our bags in reception after we had checked out at 10:30 until we had finished the Uffizi visit at 6:00pm. The garage were similarly flexible, even if we had to teach them how to locate the foot brake on a Prius.
We ate breakfast at the. hotel and this was again friendly and they offered a wide range of different foods, mostly cold such as fruit, yoghurt, varied croissants and cakes...but also bacon, sausages and scrambled egg. We should add that we were located in Hotel Alfieri next door to Hotel Bretagna which is an annexe with its own Viewing Room on the fourth floor overlooking Florence.
Altogether a charming experience, a painless way to spend time in a marvellous city.

Room Tip: Alfieri was probably quieter than Bretagna so one could enquire about availability. It is only a sho...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple