“Beautiful Hotel, Wonderful Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Bretagna

Hotel Bretagna
Ranked #107 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Seattle, WA
“Beautiful Hotel, Wonderful Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2010

I read all of the reviews on Trip Advisor and was leery of booking at this hotel. Lots of people complained of the service and room quality. But this hotel was the only one with a river view room that we could afford so I took the plunge and reserved a Junior Suite with river view.
We were not disappointed. The room was gorgeous! 25' ceilings, huge bed and an enormous bathroom. The hotel itself was so beautiful inside! And an easy walk to anywhere you want to go in Florence. The staff was wonderful to us - from making reservations for the Uffizi to making me another cappuccino at breakfast. Also - if you bring a computer, they have free wi-fi in the sitting room (the only hotel we found with FREE wi-fi)
About breakfast - we stayed in three different hotels throughout our trip. The Bretagna had by far, the best breakfast available. Fresh hot croissants, ham, eggs, rolls, and if you brought her a cup, the lady behind the bar would make you an espresso for free (they charge at other times of the day) - or two as was in my case.
I can imagine how, if you paid for a single room with a shared bathroom you might not enjoy your stay here. I probably would not have chosen this particular hotel for a 'budget' stay. But the Junior suite rooms, though they are a more expensive, are totally worth the money you're paying.
One more comment - about the noise. Yep, it is noisy. Even though we were on the river side and three floors up, it's still noisy. But I've never been to a major city WASN'T noisy. If you're looking for peace and quiet please you'll have to look farther afield.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank snickerpants

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Bangkok
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2010

This hotel is located beside the river which has a good view and also very service-minded staff. I'd recommend my friends to stay here, very cheap........

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
carbonile, Owner at Hotel Bretagna, responded to this review, 2 February 2010
I would like to thank you very much for your review. Hope to see you in Florence again.

Regards
Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2010

Great location, in front of the Arno river and very near the Ponte Vecchio, the Uffizzi galleries, the Pallazzo Pitti, etc. Warm staff and huge rooms very comfortables.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
carbonile, Owner at Hotel Bretagna, responded to this review, 2 February 2010
We really hope to see you again at the Hotel Bretagna.
Buenos Aires
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Bretagna in a superior room with a view. The room was really big, nicely decorated and had a beautiful view of the Arno river. The air conditioning was OK, the bathroom was clean and had a Jacuzzi, which was much appreciated by my two kids. The location of the hotel is very convenient. Florence is a small city and everything is within walking distance, so it was nice to be able to come back to our room in the middle of the day to relax and unwind before starting off again in the afternoon. Breakfast was simple but filling. I would absolutely stay here again if I return to Florence.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
carbonile, Owner at Hotel Bretagna, responded to this review, 2 February 2010
We really thank you very much for your review.

Hope to see you again.

Regards
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2009

I stayed at the Hotel Bretagna in a superior room with a view. It was a wonderful room with a gorgeous view of the Arno river. The staff was very attentive and helpful. Plus, the breakfast was simple but filling. I would absolutely stay here again if I return to Florence. The location was also superb.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
carbonile, Owner at Hotel Bretagna, responded to this review, 2 February 2010
We really hope to see you again in Florence.

Thank you very much for your review.

regards
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2009

Hotel looks clean enough and it is basic, but then again you dont pay a lot to be in a good location. However we are pretty sure that the bites we got (and we all got over 20!) were bed bugs. I wouldnt recommend this place purely for that reason.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank toolbox99
carbonile, Owner at Hotel Bretagna, responded to this review, 27 November 2009
We are very sorry for stapling she has received during the stay with us. We did check the room from a company specializing in pest control and found no harmful insects. However we arranged to disinfect the room.

Best regards
Fabrizio Botticelli
Hotel Manager
Federal Way, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2009

All I know is, when I left the hotel I had over 20 bites all over my body.

I had stayed at Bretagna 7 years ago, and LOVED it, but this time I was bitten to the quick, and the staff was surly.

Not recommended by me

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
carbonile, Owner at Hotel Bretagna, responded to this review, 27 November 2009
Until the day of publication of his commentary on this site, had no complaints about bedbugs stapler. We were not informed in good time otherwise we would have done so to disinfect the room immediately. Unfortunately this did not happen and disinfection was carried out only after the next client was probably also a pinched by the same insects. As you can read in the comments later.
Anyway I invite you to check your suitcase carefully, because as you know the bugs like the old cloth bags while we hate the modern cases and is known as the bugs move from place to place through the luggage of guests. Please check your luggage and possibly throw it away, only to avoid transporting bedbugs in another hotel.