Hotel Palazzuolo
Adler Cavalieri(Florence)
Hotel Magenta(Florence)
Patrizia Hotel(Florence)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsdecent budget hoteltrain stationafter midnightshared bathroomduomocerealkey
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We arrived late at Hotel Palazzuolo (around 1am) - it has a 24 hour reception which immediately makes it better than any of the similarly-priced hostels in Florence.

Our room was very large and clean, with comfortable beds, bed linen in good condition and an en-suite bathroom (even though I don't think we booked a room with an en-suite bathroom). The decor wasn't luxury quality (there were nail holes that had been filled with unpainted polyfilla, for example), but the price was great and we really just needed somewhere we could comfortably spend a night. The water was hot in the shower, the place seemed safe and secure and the receptionists were friendly. We got a good night's sleep and were not bothered by any noise from the street.

The hotel has an un-manned breakfast room where you can have a nice breakfast of croissants, cake, toast, coffee, muesli etc.

The location is perfect - 5 minutes' walk from the main station, 10 minutes' walk from the Duomo.

I'd happily recommend this place to anyone - it's like a friendly Italian equivalent to a Travelodge!

You wouldn't want to spend your honeymoon here, but as a 'base camp' in Florence (where hotels are quite expensive), Hotel Palazzuolo was perfect for us.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Prooshty
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed here with my Mrs. in mid April 2012, I was a bit apprehensive having read some of the bad reviews on here and once again I was glad I ignored all the "DON'T STAY HERE" reviews. Basically it's a 1 star hotel in the centre of Florence (2 mins walk from the main station), it's very cheap and cheerful, my attitude is if you want 5 star pay for it, if you are looking for somewhere central to lay your head for a few days that doesn't cost the earth then this is the place if you visit Florence. Firstly after we checked in we found the guy on reception to be friendly and helpful, although the guy who worked the night shift spoke little english (this is not a complaint as I was an english person visiting Italy), secondly we found the room to be adequate, it was clean and the bathroom was clean too, the shower was good, the bed was a little uncomfy as it was 2 single beds pushed together but not a major problem for either of us. I read some reviews on here complaining about the floors being tiled which I found to be a bit ridiculous, I mean yes the hotel has floor tiles, so what? I thought it gave off an air of cleanliness, and if the guy who owns the hotel likes tiles who am I to complain about it, anyway virtually every building you enter in Florence has tiled floors so if you don't like tiles don't go to Florence. Also the complaints about the stairs where a bit ridiculous too, I mean all the buildings in Florence are old narrow 4 storey type buildings with tiled roofs and narrow staircases, so unless you are very elderly or disabled I wouldn't worry too much about the stairs. Anyway to sum up my review I'd say this about the Palazzuolo: It's a 1 star, don't expect 5, it's cheap, it's clean and tidy, it's central. So if you stay at the Palazzuolo and don't expect it to be the Ritz you won't be disappointed. Would I stay here again? Yes, if I decide in the future to visit Florence again for a day or 2 I'd check in here no worries. If I visit Florence for a week with the kids or In-laws then maybe I'd look elsewhere. I paid a total of 105 euros for 2 nights here for me and the Mrs. and I wasn't expecting it to be the Hilton, so If you have the same attitude you will have no complaints about the Palazzuolo. Anyway if you decide to book the Palazzuolo it's really close to the station, you head to the right as you leave the station, cross the tram lines and street, you will see an american bar, keep it to your left and walk past it, then turn next left, walk straight up to lights, go straight over and up to next street then right, the hotel is no. 71 Via Palazzuolo. If you exit the station and are facing a McDonalds on the other side of the road then you need to turn to your right and cross the tram tracks as before. In front of the station to the right is the Santa Maria Novella Church, behind the church is a big square, in one corner is the Roma Hotel, Via Palazzuolo can be reached from here too, just walk about 30 yards past the Roma with it on your left and Via Palazzuolo is on the right.

Room Tip: No. 23 was at the back and quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DJBirch
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed there for three nights and it was perfect for us since we were looking for something cheap in a good location and just to sleep. Our room was in a separate building inside in had a private bathroom. It was clean and very spacious for European style rooms in this type of hotel. We didn't have breakfast included but there were quite a few shops close by that opened till late and sold groceries and food. It was about 7 minutes from the station and 10 to 15 minutes from the main sites in the city center. Bed was relatively comfortable and there was hot water. There was good wifi. Staff might seem serious, but they were helpful, specially a nice man that called to help us sort out some problems we had with another booking. The only thing we didn't like was the constant smell of cigarettes. There was no smoking in the building but there seemed to be a smell that never went away. Apart from this we would recommend this hotel for a short stay.

Likes: LOCATION, ROOM, CLEANLINESS, PRICE, WIFI
Dislike: SMELL OF CIGARETTES

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank minniechis
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed here as a family for four nights. Hotel is centrally located and an easy walk to all tourist attractions.
The room we had was spacious. And the price was exceptional.
I agree the sewage did smell at times. Also we had the disabled room and the hobbless shower had little drainage and leaked everywhere, but they gave us clean towels everyday.
Breakfast was cakes and sugar and coffee.
The housemaid and older gentleman were exceptionally nice and helpful. However the younger man appeared disinterested in the hotel and it's customers.
For the price I would stay here again.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Having just returned from Italy, I can only warn you NOT to stay here. I know its cheap, however we also stayed in similar priced accommodation in Rome & Venice and this was by far the worst.
The position is very central but the rooms are disgusting especially the bathroom which hadnt been cleaned in months judging by the mould in the shower and on the shower screen. Compared to where we stayed in Rome & Venice, this was third world quality.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family