“Cheap and cheerfully”

Ranked #303 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Adelaide, Australia
“Cheap and cheerfully”
Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

Hotel Palazzuolo is a basic hotel on the cheaper side which we found to be perfect for us.

It is close enough to the train station to make travel to and from easy and the proximity to the town centre and sights a short trek. The rooms are basic but with all the necessities required for a comfortable easy stay.

Defiantly worth a visit if you are looking for a comfortable place on a budget.

Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 September 2012

A stone's throw from the train station. Spacious rooms, air-conditioning and TV all fine. Bathroom set up was a little odd - narrow, with the shower in between the basin and the toilet!? Easy walking distance to the centre and all major tourist attractions. One negative: older man on overnight reception duty tried to grope my friend when she was drunk after asking to take some photos with her.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Saratoga, California
Reviewed 26 August 2012

My family (2 adults, 3 children under 12) stayed here for 1 night. Our room was large and new, not fancy, sparsely decorated but with all the necessities: a bathroom (looked newly done, very clean), A/c, a TV....We had a queen bed and 2 singles. The sheets and towels were clean and crisp, we all slept well. We paid 85 euro for the 5 of us, not a bad deal in Florence! breakfast is 3euro and a good deal. The hotel is located on a quiet street very close to the station. free wi-fi throughout.

Room Tip: Rooms are all different I think and all over the building (up and down and over different stairs). O...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Arriving in Florence a little after midnight, Hotel Palazzuolo was chosen for a cheap crash pad - and that's what it was.

Our room was clean, open and spacious, located through the hotel, down some stairs and next to the buffet breakfast.

After a good night's sleep, we woke up to brilliant Italian sunshine, the sound of mopeds outside and an eagerness to explore the wonders of Florence, which is a beautiful city.

Great little cheap crash pad - not The Ritz; but it is what it is!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FrazJam
London
Reviewed 18 May 2012

stay here if you're only in Florence for a very quick visit enroute to another location otherwise it really is just a very very basic BnB - basic amenities, old looking rooms. Paid €65, so that says it all. Location is great - although anywhere in Florence is good - given the size of the city. The hotel is very close to SMN station and to all the attractions. This isn't a hotel for a romantic getaway, or with family - more a backpackers ideal. Nevertheless, room provided an 'ok' clean bed, and a 'clean' basic bathroom.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank rksLondon
Scotland, UK
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We arrived late at Hotel Palazzuolo (around 1am) - it has a 24 hour reception which immediately makes it better than any of the similarly-priced hostels in Florence.

Our room was very large and clean, with comfortable beds, bed linen in good condition and an en-suite bathroom (even though I don't think we booked a room with an en-suite bathroom). The decor wasn't luxury quality (there were nail holes that had been filled with unpainted polyfilla, for example), but the price was great and we really just needed somewhere we could comfortably spend a night. The water was hot in the shower, the place seemed safe and secure and the receptionists were friendly. We got a good night's sleep and were not bothered by any noise from the street.

The hotel has an un-manned breakfast room where you can have a nice breakfast of croissants, cake, toast, coffee, muesli etc.

The location is perfect - 5 minutes' walk from the main station, 10 minutes' walk from the Duomo.

I'd happily recommend this place to anyone - it's like a friendly Italian equivalent to a Travelodge!

You wouldn't want to spend your honeymoon here, but as a 'base camp' in Florence (where hotels are quite expensive), Hotel Palazzuolo was perfect for us.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Prooshty
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed here with my Mrs. in mid April 2012, I was a bit apprehensive having read some of the bad reviews on here and once again I was glad I ignored all the "DON'T STAY HERE" reviews. Basically it's a 1 star hotel in the centre of Florence (2 mins walk from the main station), it's very cheap and cheerful, my attitude is if you want 5 star pay for it, if you are looking for somewhere central to lay your head for a few days that doesn't cost the earth then this is the place if you visit Florence. Firstly after we checked in we found the guy on reception to be friendly and helpful, although the guy who worked the night shift spoke little english (this is not a complaint as I was an english person visiting Italy), secondly we found the room to be adequate, it was clean and the bathroom was clean too, the shower was good, the bed was a little uncomfy as it was 2 single beds pushed together but not a major problem for either of us. I read some reviews on here complaining about the floors being tiled which I found to be a bit ridiculous, I mean yes the hotel has floor tiles, so what? I thought it gave off an air of cleanliness, and if the guy who owns the hotel likes tiles who am I to complain about it, anyway virtually every building you enter in Florence has tiled floors so if you don't like tiles don't go to Florence. Also the complaints about the stairs where a bit ridiculous too, I mean all the buildings in Florence are old narrow 4 storey type buildings with tiled roofs and narrow staircases, so unless you are very elderly or disabled I wouldn't worry too much about the stairs. Anyway to sum up my review I'd say this about the Palazzuolo: It's a 1 star, don't expect 5, it's cheap, it's clean and tidy, it's central. So if you stay at the Palazzuolo and don't expect it to be the Ritz you won't be disappointed. Would I stay here again? Yes, if I decide in the future to visit Florence again for a day or 2 I'd check in here no worries. If I visit Florence for a week with the kids or In-laws then maybe I'd look elsewhere. I paid a total of 105 euros for 2 nights here for me and the Mrs. and I wasn't expecting it to be the Hilton, so If you have the same attitude you will have no complaints about the Palazzuolo. Anyway if you decide to book the Palazzuolo it's really close to the station, you head to the right as you leave the station, cross the tram lines and street, you will see an american bar, keep it to your left and walk past it, then turn next left, walk straight up to lights, go straight over and up to next street then right, the hotel is no. 71 Via Palazzuolo. If you exit the station and are facing a McDonalds on the other side of the road then you need to turn to your right and cross the tram tracks as before. In front of the station to the right is the Santa Maria Novella Church, behind the church is a big square, in one corner is the Roma Hotel, Via Palazzuolo can be reached from here too, just walk about 30 yards past the Roma with it on your left and Via Palazzuolo is on the right.

Room Tip: No. 23 was at the back and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple