“Great View, but that is it...”
Review of Hotel President

Hotel President
Ranked #359 of 420 Hotels in Florence
Parys
“Great View, but that is it...”
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Best view over Florence. Very far from the city centre. Should be rated as a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I stayed here while on business in Florence for just one night and I should have known from the moment I walked in that it was not going to be pleasant. The hotel itself is situated up a hill and up some steps, giving it a beautiful panoramic view of the whole city which, judging by the room plan, I think every room will get a good view. However, I arrived at 13:15 to be greeted by an incredibly rude receptionist who just dismissed me saying "your room is not ready yet". Since I had not eaten, I opted to go and eat and come back in an hour, when the receptionist told me the room would be ready. I got back at 14:15 and the very same receptionist completely forgot who I was and just stared at me. I thought that obviously she would recognise me and complete check-in. After a pause of 5 seconds, she said "what do you want?!" to which I responded: "Is my room ready yet?". The answer: a grunted "No!". That was all I was going to get out of her unprompted so I asked when it would be ready and she said maybe half an hour, but she'd call the cleaners to get them to do it first when they get onto that floor. Anyway, once I finally got into the room, I was met with the usual shabby conditions of a 4* hotel in Italy which does not actually belong to some chain and, therefore, does not have any standards to keep up (after all, in Italy you get one star purely by providing a bar of soap in a bathroom and a minibar in the room, so that was two stars already!). The luggage holder was the cheapest TV stand on sale in IKEA (which I recently bought for a temporary move abroad, which is why I recognised it!) and there were plenty of cracks in tiles and mould in the bathroom. The walls were also very thin and the noise from the corridor was very loud (and it didn't help that my room was situated near the laundry room so, after working until 2am, I was not pleased to be woken at 8 with the cleaners throwing towels and sheets into metal cages and trolleys! I decided to go and try the breakfast, which is generally one of the things I look forward to most when I get to stay in a hotel. What a disappointment! It was such a beautiful location and a gorgeous long hall that had so much potential - the ambiance was a delight - but the offering was terrible. The cereals were clearly cheap (I didn't try, but you can tell when Corn Flakes are such a light yellow that they are not a leading brand!) and the coffee, which I love in Italy, was from an automated machine. I had a glass of orange juice (again, an automated machine - in fact two because I had to try both due to the shock of the mouldy froth on top of the first! - the second was not much better and I dread to think how many additives were in it. The only 'standard' item was the croissants, which were fresh at least. All of the rest was either pre-packed or just taken out of the tin. And now it was time to leave. Well, was I in luck - it was the same receptionist as the day before who greeted (?) me. I placed down the key and said I was leaving and.... "You're not going anywhere!" she said. Confused, I asked "sorry?". And she snorted: "Have you had anything from the minibar?". I hadn't. "Then you pay 4 euros city tax". I knew of the new city tax, but invited her to take it from the credit card the entire booking was made from since I was not going to pay it there and then in cash. She demanded I paid it there and then in addition, to which I said that I had been extremely unhappy with the service from her in particular and repeated my desire for her to charge the credit card used for the booking, and I left. I would have nothing against paying this tax (which is based on the star rating of the hotel), but certainly this hotel does NOT deserve 4*. Usually, when in Italy, I automatically expect the star rating to be one higher than it actually is (unless, like I said before, it is a renowned chain with a good reputation to uphold), but in this case, I would not even be sure it is worth 2*!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank bglad2uk

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2011

My husband and I stayed for just one night in this hotel and I am grateful it was just one night! The room was awful - small, dark, old furnished; the bathroom was not cleaned as it should be. During the night there were a lot of mosquitoes and nobody had given us warning about that. The staff was very impolite and unhelpful - I had to ask them for a phone call and at the reception they did their best not to help me. The parking system is not good as well so my advise is to avoid this hotel at all!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 August 2011

They must have updated this hotel since the previous reviews, because we had a great stay here! The service was wonderful, the hotel had beautiful views and the rooms were great- bed was comfortable and bathroom was very nice. There is an adorable courtyard and the breakfast room looks out on it. Breakfast was great and was replensished when someone requested. Not far at all from the city in a car.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
usa
Reviewed 24 July 2011

It is so far away from anything that the location ruined my enjoyment of Florence. Walking to the hub of Florence was so far. We had to do this since we were traveling with an Orchestra of 46. The lobby is outstanding - open, plenty of nooks and crannies for individual meetings, windows that look out at a medieval turret and the city of Florence. Our room was fine and quiet. Elevator fine. The place seems to be on the downhill side in regards to upkeep - I think they are needing business which might be due to their location. The lobby staff seemed impersonal bordering on unhelpful. Breakfast area was amazing. It was like eating in a Villa with huge windows, plenty of food and sweet tables.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I was expecting a four star accomondation but President hotel was a huge dissapointment. As soon as we entered we realised that this hotel was completely different to the one we saw on their website. The whole place looked abandoned and old and gave us a first bad impression.

When we got up to our rooms we noticed a funny smell which was noticeable in the whole floor. Soon we realized it was from the anti-mosquitos tablets. President hotel has a serious problem with mosquitos, but this in not the worst part. The walls/curtins were full of dead mosquitos which is unacceptable in a four star hotel! The furniture were again very old and the bathroom was small, dirty and rusty. Not to mention that one of our towels was dirty.
Breakfast was poor and to be honest I was afraid to taste the ham as it looked/smelled odd. Many 2 or 3 star hotels offer a better breakfast.

The hotel is located outside the center of Florence but I'm not complaining about that as we were travelling by car and we needed a private parking. In fact, free parking might be the only positive about this hotel. Wi-Fi wasn't free but it was cheaper than other hotels. I think 5 euro for 24h.

Perhaps 20 years ago this hotel was more upscale but now everything seems old and rusty.This hotel needs a renovation and a new attitude.We had a reservation for four nights but we left after the first night. Don't get fooled by the pictures of their website like we did.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank yuhuan
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Run down, dirty, and unsurprisingly almost empty. Two star if I'm being generous. No facilities, bar closed, breakfast meagre with no choice (chocolate cereal or cornflakes, salami and processed cheese, white bread which wasn't fresh every day, packets of biscuits and tinned fruit); the shower was a mere dribble and it's a good half hour walk from the centre. All in all a great pity because the views are second to none and with a bit of tlc this could be really special. We got the impression they had given up - what could be beautiful gardens are overgrown and unkempt, a balcony with amazing views over Florence is furnished with a couple of old plastic chairs and a rusty ashtray. We were not happy at all because the website we booked on listed this hotel as 4 star and a few minutes from the main sights and the station - our taxi to the hotel from the station cost €19. As we checked out the lift broke down and we had to lug the bags down the stairs from the 4th floor. It might do for students, but they aren't charging student prices!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple