“Great small hotel in Florence, Italy”
Review of Hotel Cestelli

Hotel Cestelli
Ranked #238 of 640 Florence B&B and Inns
Greenbrae, California, Usa
“Great small hotel in Florence, Italy”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We have stayed here several times and enjoy every experience. The couple who run the hotel, Alessio and Asumi, are gracious and accommodating. The hotel is quiet and perfectly situated amidst the busyness of Florence -- truly a treat. Rates are reasonable, too. We are charmed by the Hotel Cestelli, which is a tribute to the owners.

Room Tip: Some rooms require shared bathrooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jan_and_Dennis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Cary, NC
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Staying at Hotel Cestelli was a delight. After long days of walking around the city, it felt nice returning to our temporary home in the beautiful 12th century palace.

We checked in at night, entering a dimly lit lobby full of antique furniture and a large stained glass window like you'd find in an old church. I must find out what musky scent filled the air.

The room was spotless, simply furnished but completely adequate for a short stay. We shared the bathroom and had a sink in the room. I could only find one electrical outlet, which wasn't unexpected in an ancient building. I recommend bringing an extension cord or power strip anyway when traveling.

The hotel is located near the Salvatore Ferragamo shoe museum and around the corner from a street lined with designer stores...Celine, Gucci, Pucci, Hermes, etc. The Ponte Vecchio bridge is around the corner. Many restaurants and cathedrals are nearby.

If you're looking for an economical hotel and appreciate simplicity, give Hotel Cestelli a try.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank SheilaLoring
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We would definitely stay here again. The room was simple but comfortable and the location was excellent. The best part was the hosts, Alessio and Asumi. Allessio was so friendly and gave us great suggestions about where to eat and what to do in Florence. Florence is ridiculously crowded with tourists and it does get overwhelming at times. With his advice we were able to avoid many of the tourist crowds, find good places to eat and make the most of our two days there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Toulouse, France
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We spent a really nice journey in this place.
Alessi and Asumi are really kind, pleasant and helpfull.

Rooms are clean, and nice.

Prices are in adequation with the place;

I will advice to all my friends and family this place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We booked based on the Lonely Planet listing and found that Cestelli exceeded our expectations.

Only marginally more expensive than our 6 bed dorm at a hostel in Rome, this 1 star hotel in Florence, run by Italian-Japanese couple Alessio and Asumi, was excellent value. The first impression created by the hallway was lovely – the old palace has the patterned marble floors, is furnished with traditional/antique-looking furniture, and complemented by Japanese touches like oriental lamp shades, orchids, tiny paper cranes, candles and pot pourri. The room (room 8) was massive, had a really comfortable bed, wardrobe, strong wifi signal, sink and was just as nicely furnished. The shared bathroom was always immaculate – only thing was that the hot water took quite a while to heat up.

The location was also fantastic – easy to find from the station (10-15 min walk), in the historic centre, right near the river where you can cross over to find some off the beaten track dining, shopping etc.

There isn’t air conditioning which was okay because the building stayed cool, but it was a little noisy with the window open – wasn’t a huge problem for us but might be if you’re a light sleeper.

And Alessio and Asumi were lovely, passionate about their city and gave us some excellent recommendations for food and sightseeing. Stay here!

Room Tip: Room 8 is really large and has strong wifi signal
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Colle Val d'Elsa, Toscana, Italy
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Upon my trip to Florence I had never stayed in anything close to a hostel, and must say I was a little nervous about having a one bedroom with a shared bathroom. Little did I know there was little to be worried about. Upon arrival Alessio and Asumi the two owners greeted me with open arms and big smiles. My room was all ready to go and when I enter I was pleasantly surprised! There was a neatly folded towel on my bed with a little bar of soap and a mint. In my room I had my own private sink, two chairs and a little wardrobe for my belongings. I stayed two nights and was able to come and go as I please with no one to bother me. That being said someone was never far, at the front desk if you ring the little bell someone is there to help you in seconds! "Thanks Asumi"! I am glad this place is not on hostel world and is still one of those little Gems, especially seeing as I had to book with short notice it worked out perfectly! For those of you wondering if this place will hurt your wallet for my Single private room with shared bathroom it was 50 euro a night so if a little more privacy in important to you and do not want to stay in a 8 person shared room in Florence for the average of 30-35 euro, splurge and spend that extra 15 euro a night you will not regret it. Last but not least there is free wifi and the internet is great! Almost forgot about the location! It is wonderful right by Trinita bridge 10-15 minutes away from any attraction you would like to visit in Florence! A must stay if you visit wonderful Firenze!

Thanks Alessio and Asumi you were wonderful hosts!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2013

This little hotel was absolutely wonderful. Although it is a "one star" hotel, it definitely has the service, cleanliness, and coziness of a 5 star! We only got to interact with one of the owners, and she was amazing. She was so helpful in suggesting things to do in Florence and she was very friendly, always welcoming you with a smile! The location of this hotel was perfect!! It was easy to walk to from the train station. It was just one little street north of the river beside one of the bridges, so it was easy to get to all the attractions, restaurants, and shops!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4, which was one of the rooms with its own bathroom, and if having your own bathro...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple