“Great location but...”

Ranked #112 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great location but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

I've read many of these reviews and this is a nice hotel. I think it is over priced for what you get. A small room in a good location. A breakfast that is OK - not great. An adequately furnished room, but no wow. A bathroom with a shower stall.
The one thng that really disappointed me about staying at this hotel was the cost of the internet service. If you're paying between E300.00 to E400.00 a night for a room the internet service should be free. Their insistence to charge E14.00 per day for internet is outrageous. The ironic thing about this is you can walk across the street and buy a Corona for E4.00 and get free internet.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Daniele_Carta, Direttore generale at Relais Santa Croce, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review.
I am extremely sorry to learn that you were partially dissatisfied about your stay
at Relais Santa Croce. I am also sorry to read that you did not totally enjoyed our atmophere, calm and service which make us slightly different from a "conventional" hotel.
I assure you that we welcome all constructive criticism, including the one related to the internet service as it helps us to get better.
I really look forward to welcoming you back soon and I will be more than delighted to make personal arrangements for your next stay.

Arrivederci,

Relais Santa Croce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

Although it seems like a bit of a maze with reception on the first floor and sharing ground floor access with a separate restaurant, the hotel itself is elegant from the brilliant music room/lounge to our top floor suite and its multi-doored lifts. Our room had beautiful crisp linen sheets and a separate lounge room, a dressing room and excellent bathroom. You can actually see through a glass panel into the roof void where the magnificent domed ceiling to the music room is supported. As a converted palace, it is quite grand in its formal areas but comfortable and welcoming. As a Relais & Chateaux property, we knew it would be high quality and were not disappointed

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for posting your positive feedback about your recent stay at Relais Santa Croce. For all of us it is always a pleasure to receive such remarks and I really look forward to give you personally a warm "Welcome back" in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Only 24 rooms. My family and I had 3 rooms so we had the run of the place! We spent out last night in their 'Smoking room" There was a bartender that came but to care for all our needs until he left at midnight. We sang, drank and had a fantastic time.

Room Tip: There are anly 24 rooms they all are nice. Don't upgrade to the suite as they aren't worth t...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PVCDDS
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for posting your positive feedback about your recent stay at Relais Santa Croce. Your excellent impressions are value-added for us to always maintain the tradition of high standards and good service.
I wish to assure you that I will share your comments with all Team, which will be encouraged of doing even better.
Thank you very much again and I look forward to meeting you soon personally here in Firenze.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

The hotel is in the medieval part of the city and is a short walk from the major attractions. The staff are charming - very helpful and kind. We had a cool drink on our arrival and assistance with all our cases and bags. The only down side is that the hotel is on several floors and there is no lift, but there is a room on the ground floor if you need it. The breakfast is minimal, but the coffee is good and hot. The standard double room is extremely small, however, and the furnishings are a little tired.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on ground on first floor!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth N
Daniele_Carta, Direttore generale at Relais Santa Croce, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of Relais Santa Croce.
I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us but however I was sorry to read that you did not take advantage to use our two elevators which cover all three floors of our property.

Thank you again and I look forward to meeting you personally here at Relais Santa Croce in the near future.

A presto,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

This hotel is very sophisticated, elegant and luxurious. Our room was spatious, again very elegant and suited our needs and expectations for a 7 day stay. The staff were generally very friendly, helpful and in particular - Roberto - who was outstanding. We tried the hotel restaurant and found this to be very good, service was fine and the food was excellent. The hotel is ideally situated for all of the sites and is only a few minutes walk from most, including a good selection of restaurants and bars.
There is a 3 star Michelin restaurant on the ground floor (which we did not use) but is the reason I only gave a very good rating and stated the staff were 'generally' friendly and helpful. When this restaurant opened in the evening some of the hotel staff turned their attention to the restaurant's customers! on several occassions we were almost blocked entering the hotel (as I guess our faces did not fit), we had the main door shut in our face on one occassion in the eagerness of the staff to open a customers car door and generally ignored. However, not every one and only when the restaurant was open. As others have mentioned, the €14 per day charge for wifi was ridiculous as in all other 5 star hotels I have stayed is free.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Daniele_Carta, Direttore generale at Relais Santa Croce, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your impressions about your recent stay at Relais Santa Croce.
I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in all aspects although I am sorry to learn that you had not a pleasant experience at the hotel entrance.
As you said, during the evening, Enoteca Pinchiorri restaurant is open therefore their personnel also looks after the main entrance together with our doorman.
I am sure some confusion occurred unintentionally but it is clear that we all did not perform at our usual high standard.
Please accept our sincere apologies for that.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to Florence in which case I will be delighted to arrange your stay personally.

darmstadt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

This is an exceptional hotel in an old palazzo. The common rooms are unique and beautiful. We had a well appointed room with a little terrace overlooking th roofs towards Santa Croce. Great location with all sights and places within walking distance, but away from the crowds. The hotel staff were really friendly and helpful! The hotel has ist own parking which is an added plus. One of the best italian restaurants, the Enoteca Pinchiorri, is in the same building.

Negative: the dinner in the hotel restaurant was disappointing and the service was bad even though there were only 2 tables occupied. There was a EUR 14 a day charge for internet which I find unjustified, not to say ridicolous, considering the room rates and the fact that wifi was free in all the café s we visited.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank weinweber
Daniele_Carta, Direttore generale at Relais Santa Croce, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear Guest,

I really appreciate your excellent comments regarding your last stay at Relais Santa Croce.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I thank you again.
I am anyway sorry to read that you had a bad experience in our Restaurant although it is really appreciated among our Guests.
I am sure that night we did not perform to our usual standard and I am very sorry for that.

For your next visit I will be delighted to be contacted directly in order arrange personally your stay and to revise your negative impression of our Guelfi and Ghibellini restaurant.
Thank you again for sharing your feedback and we look forward to serving you in the near future.

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in late 2012. Lovely hotel with luxurious ambience without being overly fussy or large. Felt a bit like staying in the private home of a wealthy owner - very relaxed and comfortable. Excellent breakfast every morning. Very good location: close to the Bargello, Santa Croce, the Duomo, and not far from the Uffizi and the Arno river. Only criticism: the IT charges were steep when paying this much for a room - should be included.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mary S
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for posting your positive feedback about your stay at Relais Santa Croce. Your excellent impressions are value-added for us to always maintain the tradition of high standards and good service.
Thank you very much again and I look forward to meeting you soon personally here in Florence.