“Not up to Relais&Chateux standards.”
Review of Relais Santa Croce

Relais Santa Croce
Ranked #110 of 412 Hotels in Florence
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
“Not up to Relais&Chateux standards.”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I felt a bit deceived by the information about the room I booked. According to this hotel's standards a junior suite is no more than an ordinary double room with a veranda which, by the way, had not been cleaned once during my stay. The flower pots were littered with cigarette butts (I don't smoke) and dusty.
The TV set is much smaller than advertised. It's location is also subpar. It deserves a reassessment visit by Relais&Chateaux inspectors. Also I have no plans to return to this hotel ever.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank ANTONIO S
Daniele_Carta, Direttore generale at Relais Santa Croce, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having stayed with us at Relais Santa Croce and after the long correspondence we had privately, I thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry you did not consider room 308 a Junior Suite. As you have experienced, our property is quite unique and the hotel was remodeled within a 17th century Florentine palace, therefore it is impossible to have all room categories similar in terms of room size, seating area, bathroom etc.

On the other hand, your room, despite a smaller seating area, had the unique walk-in terrace within our property with an amazing view over the hills and the stunning façade of
Santa Croce Basilica. Sorry you did not enjoy because it is the most requested room in the hotel and surely it is inspected daily by housekeeping with no cigarette butts.
I would also like to highlight that when you reported your dissatisfaction due to the room size, our Receptionist on duty immediately offered you to see together other Junior Suites with larger space and seating area.
I am sure you would have loved room 302 but however you refused to see any other room leaving us with no alternatives to make you happier and your stay as comfortable as you expected.

We accept any kind of criticism because it helps us to improve our service but in all my honesty your final words are just a simple attack to damage our International and world class reputation which is also confirmed by three inspections per year (including one conducted by Relais & Chateaux) and above all, by thousands of people which stay at Relais Santa Croce and demonstrate us how beautiful our property is and the excellent, sincere, friendly and
warm service we extend to the Guests.

I feel frustrated and sorry you did not enjoy your stay but should your plans bring you to Firenze again, I would be pleased to organize your stay with us in order to revise your negative impressions.

Relais Santa Croce, Firenze

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I had high expectations for this property given the price and reviews. After numerous communications regarding the type of room we wanted (Jr. Suite with a view) and told this would be honored, upon check in we found out a different story. We were informed that our request could not be honored. Instead, we were up graded to a larger room at no additional expense. What they failed to mention was that this room was obviously one that was used as a last available option. Not only did the windows look directly at the neighbors clothesline (covered by underwear), but is was in next to the elevator and was in desperate need of thorough cleaning. While I can appreciate the juggling of rooms to accommodate reservations, what I cannot accept was the amount of communication going into this stay, and the fact they did not hesitate to charge a one-night stay prior to check-in, locking us out of any reservation changes. I have stayed at many 5 star hotels, but I have to say that at $900 per night, there are too many other options in Florence that are nicer, with a better location and less expensive. Also, if you choose to stay here, order room service for your breakfast instead of partaking of the buffet and save several more euros in the process.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca K
Daniele_Carta, Direttore generale at Relais Santa Croce, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your recent stay at Relais Santa Croce.
I am very sorry that you did not find your stay with us up to your expectations but I would like to clarify some points raised by you.

First of all I have personally checked all correspondence you had with Relais Santa Croce and surprisingly I do not find any regarding a particular view.
In consideration that you reserved directly on a 3rd party website, where information is extensive and correct informing the guests that Junior Suites overlook Santa Croce church or Florentine roofs.
We are always very attentive to guest needs, but firstly you did not request it to us and secondly we cannot really guarantee any particular view because not all Junior Suites have Basilica view.

I also wish to highlight that you stayed in one of our Full Suite in free upgrade and we assumed it was something you would have appreciated and it was done sincerely and not for compensation of something.
The room was totally remodeled and painted last March and I am sorry you did not like it although you did not report that to us.
Having said that, the Suite has a view of Santa Croce Basilica and typical Florentine roofs and we ever receive complaints about the noise.

With regard to the procedure of room charge prior to check in, I wish to clarify that you did reserve directly online a very discounted rate with some rate restrictions. Indeed in the terms and conditions was clearly stated that the reservation had to be prepaid upon reservation.
I frankly do not think anyone of us forced you to reserve this rate plan, which details were clearly shown on the web and it is just a non-refundable rate which millions of hotels around the world offer against a further discount on the room rate.

In conclusion I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay but above all I am sorry that either myself or the Duty Manager were not contacted in order to give us the opportunity to help you trying to find another solution and leaving you happier.
I anyway really hope to welcoming you back soon to Relais Santa Croce and in which case I would be honored to arrange personally your stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I had the privilege of staying at the Relais Santa Croce on the 26th May 2014 and was treated like royalty the minute I stepped through the door. My checking in was smooth and was offered a drink - on the hotel (a glass of champagne)
The Hotel is very historic and has been kept up to standard. It is an old 18th century palace that used to be owned by the popes treasurer. The furnishings are also sumptuous.
My suite was out of this world, from the furnishings to the hand painted ceilings.
The Hotel is very central and easy access for walking around Florence and all the main sights.
The bar is nice and located in a high ceilinged room which used to be used as a music room.
The restaurant is also highly recommended . Apparently it is one of the best in Italy and people come from afar to sample its delights
I highly recommend this Hotel to anyone . All the staff members very friendly, helpful and professional. Staying here was one of the highlights of my stay in Florence and I give it a 10 out of 10

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank alukok
Dear Guest,
I wish to thank you for posting your excellent feedback about your past stay at Relais Santa Croce. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
I will certainly share your comments with the team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and I personally look forward to welcoming you in the near future to this Florentine Palazzo.

A presto,

Cambrige
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We spend 3 lovely days in this wonderful hotel:the room was very nice decorated with a very comfortable bed.The restaurant gourges, food was amazing, breakfast with a huge variety and good quality produce.We have been impressed by all of the staff members who were helpful and friendly. Hotel is well located in the heart of the historical city center.A very good Italian travel experience, I highly recommend this fantastic hotel!

• Stayed May 2014
Daniele_Carta, Direttore generale at Relais Santa Croce, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Mrs. Katia,

I wish to thank you for posting your very nice review about your stay at Relais Santa Croce.
Your excellent impressions are value-added for us to always maintain the tradition of high standards and good service.
We truly hope of welcoming you back soon to Firenze and I hope we will be your Florentine home for the future.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We were impressed from the very start with this hotel, once a Florentine palace. Aside from the exquisite beauty of the place, the staff was top notch. The manager personally came to introduce himself upon our registration, and offered us a glass of sparkling water and pastries. The lady who checked us in spent considerable time giving us an overview of Florence, suggesting where we might want to visit while there. Breakfasts were elegant and a variety of food was available, including fresh fruit salads, juices, fresh-baked pastries, Italian-style cold cuts and breads, and made-to-order omelets for Americans. They also provide several tours of Florence and Tuscany. The venue is very convenient. The room was lovely and quiet, though the lighting over the bathroom sink was dim, which made shaving & makeup application less than ideal. The "nightstand" was an artsy little table with several tiny shallow drawers that were difficult to open and close. The light at the closet/dressing area went off at will, so often we couldn't see well while dressing. Each room has its own central air control which was very welcome. The sheets are real linen, pretty and crisp, probably cool in summer, but also rather scratchy. The main issue --and it was a big one-- was that the mattress was unacceptably, painfully hard. There was no pressure point cushioning, so our hands went numb all night. We tried lining up all of the pillows to sleep on, but still had sore shoulders and backs every day. Housekeeping kindly placed a thin layer of foam between the mattress and sheet, but it may as well have been on the wood floor. Even after we added all three blankets atop the foam, then lined up the pillows, there was little improvement. It was disappointing to spend 5 days at a very high-end, luxury hotel only to be denied a basic, comfortable good night's sleep. The hotel was unable to move us to a room with a better bed, as all of their mattresses were the same. We travel extensively, and can honestly say that this was the worst hotel mattress we have ever experienced. Sadly, this one issue will prevent us from staying here on subsequent visits.

Room Tip: Ask for SEVERAL layers of foam mattress topping if they have not changed out the beds. You will be v...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Daniele_Carta, Direttore generale at Relais Santa Croce, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your impressions about your recent stay at Relais Santa Croce.

I am extremely sorry to learn that you were partially dissatisfied about your stay particularly with regard to your rest during your vacation. In all my honesty I normally receive a lot of hotel comment cards from our guests and I had rarely received a bad comments regarding the hotel mattresses.
Of course each one of us has own preferences and for this reason I will now put in place together with housekeeping some improvements in order to satisfy guests not very happy with consistency of mattress, especially if guests prefer softer one.

For this reason we really hope to have a second chance to welcoming you to Firenze and in that occasion I will be more than delighted to make personal arrangements for your stay.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

As soon as I walked through the door I knew I would love this hotel & I was very lucky to have a lovely room with a view of the Duomo.

The staff were wonderful and very helpful, the only problem we had was finding our way around the hotel, however this meant that we got to see the true character of the hotel(and some impressive rooms like the music room).
To get to reception you have to either take the lift or walk up the stairs to the first floor, it did seem strange to have reception in such an unusual way.

The location of the hotel was great, with most of Firenze at your doorstep within 5-10 minutes. For the location the hotel was incredibly quiet.

It would definitely stay in this hotel again when I next visit Firenze and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Daniele_Carta, Direttore generale at Relais Santa Croce, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Guest,

I thank you so much for your recent positive review.
Your words are very important to us and we shall always try our utmost to go beyond your expectations.

Grazie and we look forward to welcoming you back to Firenze in the near future.

Bordeaux, France
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I liked this hotel from the first minute when I came inside.
The staff is very pleasant and helpful. One problem is that reception is situated on the second froor and nobody invites you near the main entrance, you should guess where the reception is.
All the rest is perfect-breakfast, restaurant, rooms, sleeping conditions, silence and of course, location!
I can recommend this hotel for everyone who visits Firenze.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Didier M
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent comments regarding your stay at Relais Santa Croce.
I will be delighted to share your comments with our team, which I am certain will be encouraged by your very nice words.
I am sure you know that we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations and we will be honored to be your "home away from home" for all your next trips to Firenze.

Thank you so much and arrivederci.