“single person review”
Review of Hotel Duilio

Hotel Duilio
Ranked #374 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I stayed in Hotel Duilio during Feb. 15, 2013 thru Mar. 21, 2013. Vencenzo was so very helpful to a person who had never traveled to Florence, Italy before, alone. always smiling answering any question. . Believe me I asked a lot of questions. This hotel is very clean and although modest meaning there is no elevator (or lift) as they say Vincenso helped me up the stairs with my bags. The area is quiet and near everything. I miss it already. I hope to go back and I hope Vincenzo will be there or where ever he is I will try to go there because he is such a great host. Calista from Connecticut, U.S.A.

Room Tip: All rooms looked very clean and pleasant good basic clean, good for budget traveler or travelers. in...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank calista g g

Reviewed 15 February 2013

The location is great. So quiet on a residential upper class street just yards from the Arno. Best of all for lovers of classical music the Hotel is directly across the street from the main concert hall. It is a short walk from train and bus stations so an easy base if you are making side day trips by bus or train to Sienna, Lucca, Pisa etc.
Vincenzo is kindest of hosts. He does not just know but loves his city. He gave us wonderful non-touristy restaurant suggestions. He suggested the perfect time to make reservations and avoid the crowds at the Uffizi Gallery.
The cafe he sends you for breakfast is a short two block walk on a very pleasant street. Cafe has a chic clientele and very helpful staff who treated me and my college-age niece like cafe "regulars" by the third of our fifth morning. It has fabulous pastries. Do bring your own tea bags there, if you are a tea drinker.
Our hotel bathroom was small, more like France, but was spotless with plenty of hot water Bedroom has very comfortable mattresses. He carried our bags up the two flights of stairs.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank saintlouiswomen
Reviewed 14 November 2012

The location is 4 star, just a 10 minute walk and you are in downtown Florence, that's where the positives end, shower didn't work, just a dribble of cold water, a bad drain smell the 1st night but admittedly it was not there the 2nd night.

To be honest if the shower worked I would have rated it a 3 but we just don't cope without a hot shower at the end of the day.

Vincent was friendly, breakfast at the nearby Cafe (Crossaint & Coffee) was fine and the steps up to the apartment not really a problem, after all you are advised that it is up 4 flights of steps.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Convenient in terms of location not too far from the train station (around 15 min walk), close to the River and the main tourist sites. Vincenzo was nice and helpful.
The room may not have been the most glamourous and modern but it was fonctional and clean. Indeed, rooms are not soundproof but I had no noisy neighbours during my stay.
The "free" breakfast (available in 2 different nearby bars) is indeed "very Italian" with a coffee/tea and a croissant only but obviously prices in Florence are usually very high for hotel accommodation (sometimes for rooms which are not en-suite and with no breakfast included). Overall a good compromise.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Though the hotel Duilio at Corso Italia 13,50123 Firenze with website:www.hotelduilio.it is rated only one star,the services we received from Vincenzo were no doubt 5 stars. Though check out time is 11 a.m. we could leave our lugguages until our time of choice 3 p.m to come back and get our bags. Although our bus leaving for Pisa Airport was 5.15 p.m.,Vincenzo entertained chatting with us,telling that we could leave the hotel premises anytime for the bus-station anytime we wanted. Only problem for us is,we missed Vincenzo and his hospitality. One more thing,he gave us good tips on restaurants,places to visit,etc. Hotel lies near the American Consulate along the Arno river and not very far from Vecchio Bridge and other sights,so very safe at night or day and not much noises. Though there is no lift for this hotel,the services,cleanliness and comfort,one couldn´t complain not to forget the price. My wife and I would come back to this hotel on our next trip definitely.

Room Tip: Always read the reviews of other travellers before you choose hotels or rooms
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Excellent location. Value for money. The hotel owner is very friendly and helpful. Free Wi Fi.

Room Tip: Breakfast is a real Italian – small croissant with a cup of coffee. It is served in a nearest café.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank vilen
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I had booked 4 nights for my Mom and her two friends in mid Oct. at this hotel.
When they arrived, apparently, they did not like the accommodations at all.
Their complaint, later I found was the room itself; small and smelled bad; and the flights of stairs; the ladies are in their sixties and seventies.
They asked if they could be given a different room that was at least bigger but apparently this Vincenzo person became very rude and threatening so they ladies literally ran away from his place in fear.
I received an email from Vincezo saying that there is something wrong with these ladies and they have just taken off for no reason from his place! That he was going to charge them the full 4 nights!!!
At that time, I had no clue as to what was going on! I was quite concerned!
After, I heard from my Mom and heard the story I found the whole experience disturbing but after much walking and inquiring they had been able to find a place to stay.

Now after a few months I am receiving another email from this Vincenzo person which I am copying exactly as sent to me:

ciao
do you remember me

I'm vincent from hotel duilio in florence

you are very poor ...

What a psycho!
This person scares me even thousands of miles away!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends