“No problems and a good location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Giotto

Giotto
Ranked #250 of 421 Hotels in Florence
uk
“No problems and a good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

I can understand both the good and bad reviews of this hotel.

I travelled around Italy a decade ago and stayed in a lot of places like this, so when I walked in and saw the owners and their dog watching TV in the breakfast room I didn't blink an eyelid! But if you're looking for a proper "hotel", then you may want to stay elsewhere.

The good points: fantastic location (minutes from the Duomo, minutes from the train station, in a safe and popular area), check-in and out was very easy, room was cleaned each day, very modern bathroom, comfortable room. I found the owners perfectly friendly, despite them speaking little English, we got by with smiling and thank yous and had no trouble! Breakfast, like most Italian B&Bs was coffee, bread, croissants, yoghurt etc and was perfectly fine.

The "bad" points (I say this loosely, because we found nothing actually bad): it is more a B&B than a hotel. The street was a little noisy at night but we were happy to be in a busy area. We had to get a new internet code for the wifi every 24 hours and it cut out after a while. The décor is a little old fashioned, but again, no problem for us.

Some people have complained about trouble finding the hotel/finding the reception, but again we had no problem. Like many Florence hotels, the hotel is on the upper floors of a building, so you have to come through a large door on the street and up a flight of stairs to find a reception. It feels like you're going into a residential apartment block. If arriving at night, there is a clearly marked doorbell with "Hotel Giotto" and you just buzz it and the door opens. There is also a big neon sign with the hotel name, so not hard to find.

So in all, for our budget, we were very happy to stay here and be near the sights of Florence. It's a wonderful city to explore.

If you're looking for a 5* hotel, this isn't it. If you're looking for an affordable, comfortable B&B in the heart of the city, look no further. I would happily return to the Giotto.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cathw66

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

We had a nice, large, double room with a high ceiling that was decorated Renaissance-style. The location was great, near the SMN train station and the San Lorenzo market, and a short walk to the Duomo.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chugzy
New Port Richey, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

I think we met Diana from the last review at breakfast while staying there. We were so jealous that her family was leaving that day, and we had 2 more nights to go! COMPLETELY agree with all complaints, especially regarding the air conditioning. The owner was grumpy, and continued to cutoff the AC even when asked politely (in Italian.). There were no fans or air flow once it shut off, and it was too noisy to open the windows. Our rooms were up several flights of stairs, through another locked door, and through a room with no AC or windows. Claustrophobic to say the least! Rooms were clean, but plain, and we barely could fit in the shower. Breakfast was dismal. Other hotels served meats and cheeses, with good coffee. This hotel was definitely cutting costs at every corner. Even their dog looked miserable! Only positive was the location.
Definitely a Debbie Downer experience...."Wah Wha"

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Heidi S

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Miramar, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

No Air Conditioning after 12 pm they shut it off, was extremely hot, noisy street and of the 5 hotels we stayed while in Italy this had the worst breakfast. All the people there where complaining. Hotels.com should check them out and not put them as a 2 star it should be noted as a1star. We were very unhappy .

Room Tip: I can,t recommend it at all
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Diana P
Zürich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

This is a nice and very cheap hotel, situated in the heart of Florence. Rooms are clean and spacious. Breakfast was basic but ok. Family-owned, with italian charm. Highly recommended.

Hotel molto carino e MOLTO economico, situato nel cuore della città. Camere pulite e spaziose. Colazione essenziale ma buona. Hotel di proprietà familiare, ricco di tutto il fascino italiano.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
adelaide
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

We were not expecting much from this hotel due to its 2 star rating, however even with this low level of expectation we were disappointed. The place is run by an elderly couple who speak almost no English, are grumpy as hell, and spend most of their day sitting in front of the television in the breakfast area watching Italian soap operas when they're not bickering with each other. Fortunately my husband speaks Italian. We had two rooms - a double and a triple - which were clean, ugly, and basic. The triple had a relatively new bathroom, but the double's bathroom was old with a cracked toilet seat (ouch!!) On the first day when my son in law took a shower he realised there were no towels in the bathroom and sent my daughter to ask for some. The woman basically accused her of stealing the towels and wanted to go into the bathroom where my naked, dripping son in law was standing to check for herself. She reluctantly handed over two towels but it was clear that she thought the originals had been stolen. The breakfast was not good, but in reality no worse than most of the places we stayed in throughout Italy, however the ever present management team was a constant dark cloud on anything that might otherwise have been acceptable. The whole place had an oppressive ambience of doom and gloom which was a bit reminiscent of the Hotel Hello in "Psycho". (Apologies to those for whom this cultural reference has no meaning,)

On a positive note the location of this hotel was very good, and the reception and breakfast areas had beautiful painted ceilings - not quite the Sistine Chapel, but pleasant nevertheless.

My personal advice is look very hard for an acceptable alternative to this place, but if you are just after location and a bed to sleep in you may be okay here.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank kathryn62
Huntington Beach, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

First off, the owners speak no English at all. I do speak Italian as a second language so for me this was not a problem. However, for the average English speaking tourist, this would be a major concern. If you are going to list your hotel on Expedia, which numerous Americans use, shouldn't someone in the hotel know at least 10 words of English. We got there late at night and it was nearly impossible to find this location, although it is located near the city's historic center. No one that we stopped to ask for directions had ever heard of the place. The owner finally answered the phone and attempted to give me directions. He got so frustrated, he cursed at me through the phone. We found the place after we got a map from another hotel. The hotel was advertised on Expedia as having parking that was next door for the hotel. What Expedia's site neglected to mention is that there is no specific parking for the Hotel Giotto, it is a private parking garage that cost over 30 euros a day! What misleading information. The next mishap occurred when I came downstairs at 8:40am and all of the "breakfast" was cleared away. I asked what was happening. The younger gentleman that works behind the desk in the daytime told me I was too late. Too late! I said by whose standards is breakfast over at 8:40am? He pointed to the sign on the wall. I read it in both Italian and English and it clearly stated breakfast ends at 9am. He looks at me with all seriousness and says well, since you have a little child with you, I will make an exception. I was very confused at the hotel policy and his strange reaction. Then his elderly mother came out from the back with the ugliest looking expression on her face and said, we are done with breakfast, tell them they are too late, there is nothing for them!!! Not realizing that I understand Italian was her first mistake, second was being outwardly rude. However, her son shut her down and gave me 2 yogurts, 2 croissants, and some nutella. All this commotion for that little of nothing to eat. I was shocked at their unprofessional behavior. OK, so the kicker of all of this nonsense was that they remotely shut our air conditioning unit off at 7am and we could not turn it back on! It came back on by itself at 4pm. We were sweltering on the 4th story. I asked about this shut off and they told me to keep my hands off of the thermostat! The older woman mentioned earlier, said in a very rude manner, "open your windows, that's what we do here in Italy, not waste!" Really? I am a dual Italian/American citizen and the last time I checked every paying patron should not be berated by some grouchy cheap owner for using the air. Thank goodness my husband does not understand Italian or there would have been more upset. We were very dismayed with the all day construction going on outside the windows that we had to open due to having the air cut off. It was so loud, no one could relax. The one redeeming quality about this hotel of horrors was that the bathroom was remodeled and well equipped, which as you know is a plus anywhere in Italy. The one thing that upset us about the bathroom was that if you wanted a fresh towel daily, you had to pay 3 euros per towel to get one. Again, can you say cheap? The owners need to understand what if takes to have foreign guests. They should not take guests for granted just because they have a great central location. Steer clear of this place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family