“Simple but really budget and comfortable” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Erina

Hotel Erina
Ranked #367 of 421 Hotels in Florence
California
“Simple but really budget and comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2008

I didn't read TripAdvisor reviews before booking Hotel Erina...and I'm pretty happy of my choice!

The hotel is completely refurbished and shows a nice and personal style. The real plus of this small hotel was its location, 10 minutes from Florence main monuments, and a stone's throw from CAF tours I really appreciated (don't miss the Chianti, I want to live there one day!)

Very spacious (completely different from European standards), spotlessly clean rooms. The staff seemed really polite and always at disposal (I'm not the kind of traveler with 10 thousand requests, though).

I think this is a great choice for families and travelers that seek comfort most of all. If you're looking for luxury, please see somewhere else :)...

• Liked — Spaciuos and clean rooms - central location - excellent breakfast
  • Disliked — poor high-tech room services
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank matt67_cali

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2007

I have to tell you after reading these reviews I almost called my travel agent to get our hotel changed. I'm very glad I didn't! We arrived at the hotel a few hours before check in time at the hotel (3:30pm). They were kind enough to clean our room first and have us in by 1:30. After reading the review we were vigilent about bad smells and other unsanitary problems...we didn't find any of these problems. There was a bad smell a few hotels down though. The hotel is very close to the train station and is just outside of an area where buses park..so I am not suprised that such problems could exist. However, no problems on the day we were there. The room was beautifully decorated. Large and clean. In fact, we were given a triple room for the price of a double. The shower was tiny, but this is not the first time I have seen such a small shower in Italy. The bathroom looked new and was pleasantly decorated also. Breakfast was ok, simple but good enough. Staff was helpful in regards to questions about how to find places. We were given a map with directions. Various tourist information was made available. The only problem that I should mention is that I did find ants in the room. About 1/2 an hour before we were to check out. I did have sweets in my backpack..which may have attracted them...but I was dismayed none the less. No apologies were made for this problem...just a comment about letting the manager know. If I were to stay again I'd look really close for ants before checking in for good!

• Liked — Hotel decor
  • Disliked — The ants in my bed!!!!
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank TravelingEurope2007
Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2007

We stayed at Hotel Erina in May 2007. We are a family of 4 that was traveling through Italy via train. Hotel Erina was very conveniently located around the corner from the train station. A big plus when you have 4 people all pulling suitcases! It is kind of a boutique hotel that is located on the 3rd floor of an office building. Very small. Front desk help was always very friendly and helpful. Room was perfect for what we needed it for ...sleep. As a family of 4 it is often hard to find a hotel. The Quad room at the Erina was just right. A double bed for me and my husband and single beds for our children. Breakfast was typical European (meat, cheese, yogurt, fruit). The cappachino was excellent! This is not a high end hotel but it is perfect for the traveler that will be spending most of their time out sightseeing and needs a good bed to sleep in at night.

1 Thank FitMom2
Launceston, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2007

This hotel does not offer what it promises on its website. The hotel is part of a consortium of hotels that advertise Florence accommodation and hence a generic posting is made; however, one is led to believe that the hotel you are booking into can offer many amenities, such as laundry facilties, phone in the room, internet connnections, night watchman, 24 hour reception, in room safe, air conditioning - none of which was actually available. We had booked into this hotel as part of a last minute deal. We had a terrible 2 days stay at this hotel.
The first morning we attended breakfast at 8.45 am, only to learn that there was no more cereals, the cold meat was finished and we got what seemed to be the left over croiisants from another visitors bread basket. When we enquired about restocking the cereals and meats we were met by a disinterested shrug by the gum chewing girl who was serving.
Our shower had a black film of soap scum all around the edge and when we complained to the owner about this, he denied that it was dirt and said that it was black plastic sealant (which seems to dissolve when you spray hot water on to it ...) We noticed however that later that day that shower had had a film of white sealant added to it - and this time it really was sealant!
The hotel is situated on the third floor and the lift was out of order for most of the time that we were there.The area outside of the hotel, although conveniently close to the station had a very strong smell of urine around it. When we arrived back in the evening there was a used syringe on the stairs.
When we checked out we confronted the owner about his misleading advertising. His reply was that the laundrette was about 3 street blocks away from the hotel, similarly there was an internet cafe further down the street and we have our own mobile phones, why would we want to use a room phone then? He became very rude and insisted that there was nothing wrong with his hotel, stating that after all, we had paid a lower rate and should therefore be satisfied with what we got. He even added that seeing as we got 2 cappucinos at breakfast we should consider ourselves doubly privileged to have stayed at his hotel. Needless to say , we did not get an apology or amendment to the bill to compensate for a very bad experience. Do not stay at this hotel, even if you are offered discount rates, it definitely is not worth it.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — extremely poor customer service
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Amsterdam, Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2007

From the internet description it looked great but it was terrible.
I chose it for its location near the railway station.
The entrance was thru a courtyard (smelly) into an antique elevator, hotel was on third floor of the building. The room was big with only a bed in it, nothing else, apart from an old closet.
the 'ensuite bathroom' was a prefab room inside the room, the toilet seat became loose just by looking at it, the shower was ok if you are a midget.
I stayed long enough to book another hotel ( on my cellphone because there was no phone in the room).
The internet site and other reviews were totally misleading!
To their credit, they did not charge me for my cancellation.

• Liked — zero
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled solo
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2007

This basic hotel was fine for the money. Large spacious double room with adjoining balcony to the other 3 rooms next to us. Friendly staff and a complimentary fruit in the room. Ensuite small and basic, but adequate. Double glazed and secure patio windows. Its not as noisy as I thought it would be as its on quite a busy street and the station is near by. Ideal location as train station is only a 5 min walk away. Its pretty central to all sights. Good breakfast aswell. Would use again.

Stayed May 2006