“Hotel ´cool´, but only stairs ...”
Review of Fiorentino

Fiorentino
Ranked #344 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 17 February 2013

In a XVII century building, this hotel is renewed and very ´cool´, but the rooms are in thirty floor and no have elevator...The owner is atentious and cordialy can help you with your luggage, but the location (few minutes from Santa Maria Novella station) is privilegious and near to all Florence historic sites and atractions.

Room Tip: Find the small hotels
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Antonio G

Reviewed 28 September 2012

the hotel is very near Florence SMN station, it's the best part. However, there are many drawbacks.
1. No air conditioning. I was so shocked when i knew there is no air conditioning in a hotel. So, there were lots of mosquitoes, lives....etc. very hot during the night.
2. No elevator. There is high headroom in the old building. we need to climb so long before we reach the 1st floor.
3. Big dog. There is a big dog coming down to welcome you when you arrive and always at the lobby. See if you like a big dog.
4. Wifi 2 euro / hr.
5. Curtains were torn a bit
6. Shower and basin in the bedroom, toilet outside.
7. No fridge.

I thought i was cheated and totally ruin our mood there.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gal692
Reviewed 27 September 2012

We stayed in Fiorentino for two nights in the middle of September. The only best thing about this hotel is a distance to the train station. The room was too small and looked aged. No air conditioning, Wi-Fi is too expensive (2 euro per hour), too noisy. I was surprised when manager asked us to pay for the whole stay during check in, but not during check-out as i used to do in other places. Well, we agreed. But when we got into the room, I understood why we were asked to pay in advance. I would refuse to pay and most likely would look for any other hotel around, if i saw the room first. For my opinion, the hotel is too expensive for level of service and comfort it provides.

Room Tip: See your room first before pay.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alexander S
Reviewed 23 September 2012

The hotel is located very close to the train station- really ideal if you are on foot with a 20kg bag to haul. The manager was terrific and adjusted mt reservation after I had already booked on a website so that I could extent my stay at a great rate for one more night.

The single room was very clean, the bed very nice and a good size, and overall just way nicer than I expected- the shared bathrooms worked out great too (just woke up early to enjoy a empty room and clean floor). There are stairs to climb to load in but once your loaded in, your in...and if you are carrying more than you can huff up 100 stairs or so then you are travelling too heavy anyway!

This hotel is a gem and I will stay again, thanks!

Room Tip: Don't miss the Ferragamo Shoe museum!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2012

The room was adorable with modern decor that looked like a study abroad apartment. We did have to climb to the third floor with steep narrow steps to reach it however. It was extremely comfortable with air conditioning and a great view of a local church. You have to pay for WiFi - €2 for an hour which was a downside. Other than that we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We're not fussy about amenities and wanted something conveniently located at a very good price and this fit the bill perfectly. We stayed 3 nights and each day I was thankful that it was located at the perfect spot to get around the city. It's clean, a little noisy and only a fan for ventilation and you have to pay for wifi, but this place is a good bargain. The proprietor was friendly and helpful and though the room had a few glitches, he was very fast to correct them. I'd stay here again.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I read some good reviews here on Trip Advisor before booking this hotel. I was looking for something close to the train station, clean and not run-down, and a reasonable price. I liked the photos (looked bright and modern) and so I booked it. Then I read some bad reviews and started to worry. But I was very pleasantly surprised! One review said it was hard to find, but we had no problem - we headed towards the church and took the road to the right (right alongside the church) as the website said. Then I said to my husband, "It might be hard to find, some people said so." He asked, "What's the name?" "Fiorentino." "There it is". Simple. The man checking us in was nice, contrary to some reviews. I think some things he said were phrased in a way that could be misconstrued as not nice, but I think it was just that he's not a native English speaker. For instance, as we were checking in, he said something like, "do you have 160 euros?" Now, in the US, with a native English speaker, I might think, "Of course I do, how rude to ask! I booked the room at that price, didn't I?" But this was just his way of prompting us to pay. A native English speaker might be more elaborate by saying, "The total for your stay will be 160 euros, and payment is required upon check it. How would you like to pay?" So just give him the benefit of the doubt, that it is a language issue, not him being rude. Once I realized this, I actually thought he was quite nice!

The room was up several flights of stairs, but I expected this from reading reviews here, and we were fine with that. We had a room with a private bath, and it was nice and clean. I liked the shutters on the windows, for keeping out the daytime sun/heat, but I wish the windows had bug screens - a few mosquitoes got in and we had to close the windows. But screens seem rare in Europe, so I can't hold it against them. The owner said something about in-floor radiant cooling. I'm a little skeptical of this, but we were there in relatively cool weather, so I can't really say. I would perhaps consider this when booking in July & August, that the room might be warm.

The owner isn't always there in the morning, so if you want to leave your bags there in the morning you check out, before leaving town, try to ask him the night before - we did, and everything went smoothly (he gave us another keycard for the lobby area, to leave our bags there for a few hours, even though he wasn't around in the morning). I would definitely book here again, though perhaps not in July & August because I'm not sure of much cooling (AC).

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple