“Very basic but very central.”
Review of Costantini

Costantini
Ranked #348 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 19 April 2010

I stayed here with my partner and inlaws for 2 nights in August. I have mixed feelings about this place. It is very central (less than 100 m from the Dome) and it only cost us 60 euro per night for a double room, including breakfast. This is a bargain in Florence! Our room was big enough and clean (Well, cleanish), but dated. One of our main concerns when booking was aircondition, we didn't even look at places without aircon. But here, the air conditioning was only on for a little while during the night. We commented at reception, but the man there didn't really care. So the room was very hot, and very stuffy. Opening windows only helps a little, and then you have the noice from the street and the bells in the Dome.
I was a little concerned about security. The hotel is on the third floor I think, and if I remember correctly the entrance onto the street is open during the day, and has a code during the night. You have to leave your key at reception, and when we were going out the first evening the man at reception said that if we come back very late, he might have a nap in the next room, and would leave our key on the reception desk... Not what I call security, but we were never out late, so it wasn't really a problem.
As others have commented, I think this is a family owned hotel. The man at reception was leisurely dressed to say the least- all in all, this hotel doesn't exactly scream professionalism.
The breakfast was served in a small room by reception. It was poor, and I was a bit concerned about hygiene.
There is a guest computer with internet. I think there is meant to be free wireless, but it didn't work in our room- it did work in reception though.
The redeeming features about this hotel is obviously the price and the location. If you are going to Florence for a night or two, it will do you. But I was pleased to leave.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 October 2009

I booked Hotel Costantino at the last minute after I arrived in to Florence and realized that the hotel I originally booked (Florence B&B Hospitality) was a scam. Thankfully, Hotel Costantino had a single with ensuite bath available for a very reasonable price (40 euros a night... half what I paid for the scam hotel!!). The Hotel seems to be family run and the staff are all very friendly and helpful. The rooms are basic, but clean... my single room didn't have a fancy view, but it was plenty spacious for a single, and I had my own bathroom, rare for this price in Europe. The hotel has free internet, I was also able to connect via wifi from my room, and a free basic breakfast. The best part about the hotel is the location... right across from the Duomo... doesn't get better than that!! (This was especially helpful since my visit to Florence was so short... I didn't want to waste time walking back and forth to my hotel.)

Thanks to Hotel Costantino, for saving my vacation in Florence!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 September 2009

This hotel is about 40 steps from the Duomo - I was so impressed I counted! You are within easy walking distance of all you will want to see. The Uffizi complex is no more than 10 minutes away - but it takes longer because there's so much to see. On our first evening stroll we arrive at the Piazza della Republicca and stood with many others enjoying the opera singing busker. Stunning voice and great repertoire.The hotel is on the second floor so not so good for those with mobility problems but the lift is very eficient.
We were given a warm welcome by the patron who was always willing to ring for a taxi for my wife's work commitments. In spite of this being a pedestrianised area taxis stop at the door.
Our double room was a delightful surprise - four single beds! Space enough to swing a very large cat. Ample wardrobe space and a fridge in the desk cupboard. The tall shuttered windows look out onto the pedestrian street and - with a gentle lean - at the Campanile. With the windows open you get a rich bell accompaniment to your waking moments.
The bathroom while it was 'cosy' as my wife put it was well appointed and everything worked - good big shower, bidet, loo, washbasin, hairdryer.
All in all - a great place to land, especially for our short break

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2009

What can I say ...I had such a dreadful experience with this hotel and yet some people think it is fine. I was supposed to stay here for 4 nights but when I arrived in the 40 degree heat and was told that the air conditioning would not be turned on until later that night I wanted to cry. The manager was sitting at reception with no shirt on and he had a small child on the reception desk - I had to peek around the child to see the manager and I could hardly hear what he said due to the child shrieking. I did manage to get the air conditioning turned on [supposedly] but then I was shown my disgusting stuffy smelly hot room and found that the air conditioner in that room didnt work. The manager did not care at all and kept asking me what the problem was (it was 40 degrees for crying out loud!!!). I sat on the bed and cried. It was a dreadful start to my stay in Florence. I decided then and there that I could not stay here but I had no choice but to stay that one night. I checked out the next day as soon as I could - didnt even wait to have breakfast.

As for being safe ....ha! I went out for dinner with friends and when I got back to the hotel that night the only "people" on reception were two naked children - the oldest of which was about 6 or 7. They handed me a room key which turned out to be for the wrong room! I could have been anyone walking in off the street. I then spent a restless night trying to get some sleep in the searing heat. it was a night of pure hell. The room finally got cool around 4.30am and I finally fell asleep only to wake up in a pool of sweat at 7am because the air conditioning had been turned off again. Thank goodness I only spent one night there.

I know that this is only a two star place and I had already experienced 2 and 3 star hotels in Italy so it is not like I was expecting the Ritz ....but honestly...this place is the pits and the management style is just disgusting. The hotel probably has [slightly] better rooms than the one I was given (I saw they had a triple room that had windows overlooking the street and it looked "ok") but it is the attitude of the staff, and the isues with the air conditioning that are the clincher. I would not recommend this place in a million years and I definitely would not stay here even if you paid me.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank BrisCaz
Reviewed 2 June 2009

Very basic hotel near Duomo. Oddly hard to find. There's a very small sign on the hotel's building. Rooms clean and staff is friendly. The AC is ineffective and the room was stuffy. Opening the window just lets in an incredible amount of noise. Being next to the Duomo is nice but those bells are loud.

There is free wifi but it does not extend much beyond reception and did not make it to my room. The bathroom was recently redone but there is no walls for the shower. This lead to a pointless splattering of water.

All in all not a horrible hotel but I would not recommend it beyond it's convenient location and low cost.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2008

This hotel was great. The location couldn't be better, walking distance from all the sites, and in Florence that's a super bonus. You can see the Duomo from the bedroom window! The hotel was clean, lots of towels and supplies, a fridge and the AC worked just fine. The staff is very friendly, and always willing to help. We have teenage children and they didn't have any complaints, for the amount of time you spend in your room it's not worth paying the price of a 5 star. We would surely return to this hotel in the the future.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 6 June 2008

I knew from the beginning that this was a simple and basic hotel, and that is accurate in every respect. However, we spend so little time in our room that paying for 4-star luxury would be a waste of money. If you expect luxury, then this is not for you. But if very clean, well-maintained, friendly staff/owners, and comfortable are high on your list, then Costantini serves very well. The bed was comfortable. I saw no "threadbare" linens as in earlier reviews. The bathroom was large and modern with a hairdryer and fluffy, plush terrycloth bath towels (a rarity in Italy at the 2 or 3 star category). And the location at any price cannot be beat--literally steps from the Duomo at the heart of Florence. Breakfast in their frescoed breakfast room was just enough, but nothing to get excited about (typical for Italy, though).

FYI--I am a travel agent and I chose this for myself based on location and budget, but I would not hesitate to place clients here who know what to expect and don't need or want an "Americanized" experience.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)