All reviewsshared bathroomno elevatorgreat locationold buildingprivate showerflights of stairsno air conditioninghigh ceilingsheavy luggagethird floordecent breakfastwould stay here againstreet levelcentral locationtrain stationloved this hoteltoilet
Reviewed 14 September 2009

The hotel is located only 5 minutes away from the Duomo and about 20 minutes from the train station and it's situated on the second floor of a very large building. Which means, you have to climb at least 4 flight of stairs (I climbed an extra flight as our room were upstairs)

The staff were polite, courteous and friendly. They also provide a nice little map of Florence so you dont need to hunt for one at the train station or information centres.

The room I had was for 4 adults and it is very spacious. No problem putting luggages anywhere. My major gripe is the heat. It has only ONE standing fan to accommodate the whole room which wasnt enough in the summers heat. All of us slept uncomfortably and woke up with a headache due to the heat. The window (only one) faces another part of the building so you dont get any breeze either.

The floor is from wooden timber beneath the tiles and it felt kinda wobble walking on it.

Basically a no frills hotel, though the breakfast is OK, with cereal, bread/croissant and drinks.

If you dont mind the heat (like in winter) it's a good value with alot of space. Not sure how bad will be the heat in the peak of summer though, and frankly I wouldnt want to :)

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Hotel Bavaria's top features are its location, between Basilica Santa Maria del Fiori and river Arno, close to the main attractions and to the shops, its staff, a group of very nice and helpful people, and its price.

There are a few flights of stairs till the hotel, so be ready for some luggage carrying. The room itself was large but basic, but that was to be expected considering the price we paid (around 42 Euros for a double with shared bath). The bed was ok, but there was no aircon - we did have a small fan, though, but even so it got really hot and it was hard to sleep at night. We left the windows open but had no problems with mosquitoes. There was a sink in the room, which was good. The bathrooms were very clean, a good surprise... you never know what to expect from shared baths, but these were good.

Two things that were a little umconfortable were that they asked to keep our passports with them (we traveled to 11 towns and thiw was the only placed where that happened) and the breakfast buffet was set late at night to be ready in the next morning (we actually saw this when going to the bathroom late at night). That means that the cheese stayed in a hot environment for at least 8 hours before breakfast, and we actually got one that had gone bad.

Overall I found our stay to be ok, it was sort of what I expected. I'm not sure I would recommend this hotel to a friend, since people have different levels of tolerance to basic lodging. I'd probably look for a place more comfortable within the same price range, but honestly I'm not sure I'd find it.

Reviewed 22 August 2009

Just as what everyone else said - terrific, helpful staff. My friends and I had long trips and arrived late between 2 - 3:30 am. (the front desk is scheduled to close at 1 am) Staff was happy to help. We also arrived by car - not a good idea in central Florence where you can't get in without permit. Staff was willing to register our vehicle details at 2 am so that we don't get booked by police.Sign for hotel is not very obvious - do look for bridal shop. Hotel is opposite that bridal shop. Great location, central with central Florence. The rooms are sweet with the paintings and spacious - much nicer to have the old Florentine rooms for a typical experience. Although rooms do not have air-con, a silent operating fan is provided. Rooms are kept nice and clean. Quiet in the sense that one does not hear the street noise. My room faced the courtyard and we could hear the electronic gate opening and shutting. Still by at midnight, that front door opening and closing would have ceased by then (except for when my friends and I were checking in at 2 am then). Guilty!

Reviewed 14 August 2009

Centrally located for all the big attractions. Clean, big rooms and the staff are amazingly helpful. Go!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2009

Central, clean, rustic, big (huge really) rooms and pleasant staff right next to the main tourist attractions for a ludicrously low price. Good stuff!