All reviews shared bathroom no elevator great location old building private shower flights of stairs no air conditioning high ceilings heavy luggage third floor decent breakfast would stay here again street level central location train station loved this hotel toilet
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I was surprised that there were no elevators to go up three very long flights of stairs, so we had to drag our suitcases all the way up, and that was not fun. An elevator would have been nice, but of course, this is a very old building, so it comes with the territory.

Our room was very basic and very hot because there is no air-conditioning (this is crucial in June!) We had a little armoire, table, bed, and sink because we had to share COMMUNAL BATHROOMS! Yes, like in college. Not fun. Not fun at all.

That being said, you're really not supposed to spend much time in your room when you are somewhere as incredible as Italy, so we didn't suffer too much. The location is great and very close to the Duomo.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Cannot complain about this place. The room was big and adequate and the location is spectacular. About a minute from Il Duomo. In Florence, you want a place to sleep and go to the bathroom if you are like us...and this hotel is just fine. Cheap, clean, friendly staff, nice little breakfast. I would do it again. If you can spend an extra few bucks, get a room with its own bathroom!!

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2009

Hotel Bavaria is a small family-run business, located in the heart of Florence. The owners went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable, well-informed and ready for a wonderful stay in Florence. The room was clean, the shared bathroom was a little walk down the hall, but convenient enough, and overall, the place felt safe.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 14 September 2009

The hotel is located only 5 minutes away from the Duomo and about 20 minutes from the train station and it's situated on the second floor of a very large building. Which means, you have to climb at least 4 flight of stairs (I climbed an extra flight as our room were upstairs)

The staff were polite, courteous and friendly. They also provide a nice little map of Florence so you dont need to hunt for one at the train station or information centres.

The room I had was for 4 adults and it is very spacious. No problem putting luggages anywhere. My major gripe is the heat. It has only ONE standing fan to accommodate the whole room which wasnt enough in the summers heat. All of us slept uncomfortably and woke up with a headache due to the heat. The window (only one) faces another part of the building so you dont get any breeze either.

The floor is from wooden timber beneath the tiles and it felt kinda wobble walking on it.

Basically a no frills hotel, though the breakfast is OK, with cereal, bread/croissant and drinks.

If you dont mind the heat (like in winter) it's a good value with alot of space. Not sure how bad will be the heat in the peak of summer though, and frankly I wouldnt want to :)

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Hotel Bavaria's top features are its location, between Basilica Santa Maria del Fiori and river Arno, close to the main attractions and to the shops, its staff, a group of very nice and helpful people, and its price.

There are a few flights of stairs till the hotel, so be ready for some luggage carrying. The room itself was large but basic, but that was to be expected considering the price we paid (around 42 Euros for a double with shared bath). The bed was ok, but there was no aircon - we did have a small fan, though, but even so it got really hot and it was hard to sleep at night. We left the windows open but had no problems with mosquitoes. There was a sink in the room, which was good. The bathrooms were very clean, a good surprise... you never know what to expect from shared baths, but these were good.

Two things that were a little umconfortable were that they asked to keep our passports with them (we traveled to 11 towns and thiw was the only placed where that happened) and the breakfast buffet was set late at night to be ready in the next morning (we actually saw this when going to the bathroom late at night). That means that the cheese stayed in a hot environment for at least 8 hours before breakfast, and we actually got one that had gone bad.

Overall I found our stay to be ok, it was sort of what I expected. I'm not sure I would recommend this hotel to a friend, since people have different levels of tolerance to basic lodging. I'd probably look for a place more comfortable within the same price range, but honestly I'm not sure I'd find it.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple