“Good location, decent price”
Review of Hotel Bijou

Hotel Bijou
Ranked #283 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Baden
“Good location, decent price”
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Perfect accommodations for people who plan on only using their rooms to sleep in. Florence is full of places to go and things to see so having a nice comfortable and clean bed at the end of the day should be all you need from your hostel/hotel. It is very close to the train station (6 minute walk) and close to a bakery and a grocery store. It is a 10 minute walk to the Duomo and has 24 hour reception so you can come and go as you please. We also got a very good restaurant recommendation from the staff.

The only negative thing I can think of is that the doors slam pretty violently and the sound is very booming (or it did on the topmost floor). It is impossible to sleep in when your fellow building occupants are coming and going from their rooms but at least you'll be up early to enjoy Florence.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank KristenDayna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Small yes, unobtrusive no, why would anyone want to stay in fancy hotels in Florence - I have no idea - it's not like you spend any time in your room anyway right? It's next to the station about 10 minute walk to where all the action happens - and seemed to be good value for money!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I went to this hotel last summer with 2 friends of me.
We were surprise by the quality of the rooms whereas it was not expensive. The staff was really kind, they open the terrasse for us until late in order that we can appreciate the nice weather of Italy.
I recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Clementine_from_FR
berlin
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Although we booked a budget room with a shared bathroom, when we were at the reception to check in we were told that we would be given a better room with a private bathroom for the same price. That was a good welcome surprise for us in Florence. We really got quite a luxurious room with a private bathroom and air conditioning with room service at the more-luxurious sister hotel next door, Hotel Anabell, for the same price. The attendee, Teo, was very warm and helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
new jersey
Reviewed 9 August 2011

This hotel is attached to a sister hotel called Hotel Anabella, which seemed to have a older clients, we assumed this hotel would be a upgraded version of Bijou.

Bijou's location is optimal, there is a a great grocery story around the corner, my friend and I would pick up yogurt, bread, fruit, cheese and water for our trips, and then walk over to the train station across the street for day trips. Meals were always very affordable, just a few euros. The bus station is next to the train station, so location was very convient.

My friend and I stayed just the two of us for 4 days and then we were moved to a bigger room for nights 5&6 because we were joined by two other friends. You could not beat the rate!, Every day we received clean towels, You do not come to this hotel for the beds, tv or the ambiance, you come here because it is a affordable, clean place to stay and it is in the best location for those traveling back and forth to other cities. There was a bathroom next door. This did not wake us, it only warned us when someone was in there in the AM so we didn't have to wait outside. The showers were very typical European showers, we did wish the shower door closed completely so water did not wet the floor every time someone showered.

This hotel is supposed to be nonsmoking, however, someone smoked several nights during our stay. The smoke was so overpowering my eyes became irritated every time. I suspect it was one of the desk attendants. This is my one complaint.

Room Tip: I don't believe there are rooms that surpass the others
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Issaquah, Washington
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Three girlfriends and I stayed at this location in May and it was definitely the lowest point of our trip. Aside from being very conveniently located next to the train station, this hostel offered nothing but oddities. The hostel is located on an upper floor split with a sister hotel. The Bijou rooms are to the right off of the elevator.

There are two shared restrooms on this main floor. The showerhead in the bathroom on the left was left balanced above by the previous user, so that when I was showering, it fell off and bashed me in the head. I thought perhaps the previous user had halfhazardly tried to replace it, so I tried to place it back in the holder. Wrong! The holder was broke, and so, I was bashed in the skull once again. I had to hold the shower head for the remainder of the shower, which was inconvenient, but oh well. I was more upset about the knot on my head.

Our room was worth what we paid, which is not much. We paid less than 100EU, so I wasn't expecting much. It was very hot and there was an airconditioning unit in the room, but we were told that they would not turn it on and to open the window instead. That night we were EATEN ALIVE by mosquitos. The next evening when a different attendee was at the front desk, we again asked for the airconditioning to be turned on, which he did without hesitation! Not sure why it was not able to be done the night before. Could have avoided the colony of mosquitos that dined on us the night before.

Lastly, and this is so strange, we wanted to go to the rooftop terrace which is featured on their website. We were told first that no one was allowed up there. Then we were told by a different attendee that we could only go up one at a time! What? Why do you feature a rooftop terrace on your website with multiple chairs if we have to go up one at a time?

I have read other reviews and noticed the manager often uses, "you must have stayed at a different Hotel Bijou!" instead of just owning up to the concerns over the poor service and amentities. Trust me, I stayed at Hotel Bijou, the same one listed here. As a very stingey budgeting traveler, I highly recommend spending a little more on your Florence accommodations.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank mel3202

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Moreno Valley, California
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I have to tell you the location, staff, and room were excellent. I went and stayed there with my three girlfriends and we had a blast. The staff really helped guide us through Florence and helped us to stay on budget. They didn't have to really give us any recommendations or tell us the best kept secrets of Florence, but they went above and beyond. They informed us of the tourist traps and made sure we were well taken care of. The rooms were very clean and the bathroom was spotless. They even had additional restrooms to use. The staff spoke very good English and made us feel like we were at home. The hotel is literally around the corner from the train station. There is a small grocery store around the corner too. So if you want to stay on budget and see Florence this is the place to stay. It is not super fancy, but well maintained and the location can't be beat. My only regret was that we didn't get to stay longer, but there is always next time. Ciao to Simone, Vittoria, Fabio, and Teo. Julia, Linda, Vivian, and Kristin all agree Grazie Mille!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends