“Best choice!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #272 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Best choice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

What a cozy hotel! The rooms are spacious and large, and the bathrooms are very clean. The location is perfect, in downtown at a short distance from the main train station. Also, the room price was cheap: a very good deal for us. But most of all it's about the roof terrace: from the rooftop you can enjoy an amazing view of the city and its wonderful hills! We'll choose this hotel on our next trip for sure.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alfred J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Korean first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We spent 4 nights very happily at the Hotel Bijou. The room was very large, cozy and had a lovely balcony overlooking a courtyard. We also liked the location -- close enough to everything (train station, stores, museums, monuments). The restaurants and trattorias in the area are very good. The rooftop terrace is a must. The building is ancient, and the elevator is amazing! I would absolutley return -- a very good choice and an excellent value.

Room Tip: A quiet room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Glenn O
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

Upon my arrival to the hotel I was greeted by a very unfriendly hosts (a female and male). That rushed my mother and I to our room. Once in our room, we were not able to open our room. I knocked for help and the lady and man came outside the room trying to assist us to open the room. They kept yelling in a very rude and mean way, "turn the knob to the left!!!!!!!" I responded that, "I am I am." After minutes of the no success and horrible tension, screaming to us in Italian. The lady instructed me to go the bathroom and open the window and give her the key. As I was opening the window I could hear screaming between the man and woman. Once I was able to open the door, I was confused on where to give the key. At this point I was shivering and scared and all they could do was scream at me. Once the key was given to them, they were able to open the door from the outside. The man and woman screamed, taunted and yelled at me for not being able to open the door. At this point I feared for my life. What if an emergency were to happen how can I open the door? The woman and man were so upset at me that they could not stop yelling at me. I decided that this is not a safe place to be. I demanded for our passports and ran out.
Besides the rooms are nasty and run down do not stay here.
I request my money back due to the harsh and unsafe circumstances at this hotel. I have already sent an email to venere customer care as instructed. This could have been a very fatal and scary circumstance.

Moris Aynechi

Stayed October 2013
6 Thank Nana2266
Etrusco1966, Direttore at Hotel Bijou, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
First, a real clarification is necessary against your slanderous and defamatory comments: you have never arrived at the Hotel Bijou, we have never seen your faces. You have invented this false, absurd and ridiculous story by defaming us on this website only not to pay the penalty; in fact, you have booked through Venere / Expedia, and you know very well our cancellation policy on Venere, which is as follows: for late cancellations made after this time 100% of the entire stay is charged; for no-show, 100% of the entire stay is charged.
Therefore, according to our cancellation policy, we can charge the full amount of the booking, but generally we charge only the amount of one night. In any case, if you arrive at the hotel, you do not like the room and go away, you are still obliged to pay the penalty: our cancellation policy is clear, for late cancellations we can charge 100% of the entire stay.

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

The Hotel Bijou is a great choice for people arriving by train (it's around the corner from the main station) or seeking a quiet spot away from the city's crowds. We had a triple room -- clean, quiet, well-maintained -- which became our sanctuary after a long day of sightseeing and I don't think we walked into the hotel once without receiving a big smile and warm welcome from the manager. If we ever get back to Florence, we'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

We very much enjoyed our shirt stay at this hotel. Situated in a beautiful old building. It is well located, in a nice quiet situation. The rooms are clean and the staff very friendly an welcoming. I would definately recommend this hotel, and should we return to Florence we would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

Nice hotel in an excellent location in Florence. Wonderful staff who are very polite, helpful and warm. Our room was very spacious, with a balcony overlooking a little courtyard (no noise in downtown! Absolutely fantastic!), so we could sleep very well. Breakfast is very good and served in a marvellous room.

Room Tip: Choose the room #2
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Liberia, Costa Rica
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Can't explain enough reasons to not book here,
We came open minded and got treated like trash. We had foot prints all over the walls in our room, no safe in the room, had to turn our key in every time we left-only to ring a bell and wait for someone to get our key and not having to show ID. We were checked in by one person and saw different staff constantly. They gave us internet code and it said invalid password, so even after staff punched it in same thing, so the owner said it was my phone and got fuzzy.

We tried to gain access to the so called 'roof top' and we had a Pepsi each in hand and the lady looked at us and this is before sunset. " we don't let kids up there to drink " Obvious reasons I walked away while my boyfriend stood in awe, I told her we wanted to finish our pops and this is how we were treated. (were both in late 20's) .

Not to mention no air conditioning. And bed bugs or something that liked to feast on us. We both woke with new bites and welts each morning.

There is no reason to stay here, especially this time of year-just sleep outside.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jbrock705
Etrusco1966, Direttore at Hotel Bijou, responded to this review, 21 December 2014
No one has treated you like trash: rather, you wrote a pile of lies and insults against our Hotel, without any reason. First of all, before your arrival and after your departure there were no foot prints all over the walls of that room, so the question is: where did you take that picture? Definitely not in our hotel. In any case, as anyone can see, the pictures are not clear. Of course guests must leave room key when they get out: if they take the key away and lose it, they have to pay Euro 30 to refund the hotel. You wrote that the hotel gave you an invalid code for the Wifi connection: this is the mother of all the crap! Why do you write these colossal untruths? Do you think everyone is stupid? Regarding the access to the roof terrace, another colossal lie: the terrace is closed from 11 pm to 7 am, but you wanted to go there at midnight (12:00 am is not before sunset, sorry) and of course the concierge said no. For that reason, you also shouted and made a lot of noise here, waking and disturbing the other guests in the hotel: not ashamed even a little? With regard to your last false accusations, air conditioning is ok here but obviously you did not know how to use the remote control: you could call the concierge and he would have resolved the problem immediately. There are NO bed bugs in our hotel, and you know that very well: who are you kidding with this defamatory accusation?? Obviously they were only mosquitoes, very common insects in our city: it was enough that you informed the concierge, and he would have given you the diffuser anti-mosquito. But asking for help to the hotel concierge would have been too simple: you preferred to give vent to your frustration by writing insults, lies and slanders on a nice and decent as our hotel. Really congratulations, but do not expect the people believe you ....