“Rescued us from Air BnB nightmare - friendly and helpful staff”
Review of Hotel Genesio

Hotel Genesio
Ranked #359 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Rescued us from Air BnB nightmare - friendly and helpful staff”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We had just had to leave a horrible Air B and B at 8.30 at night and walked in here. They negotiated on price (it was cheaper than Air BnB in the end), and everything about it was better, It's a basic hotel, but if you know that then I'd recommend it. I met four staff members and all were smiley friendly and helpful. The room was adequate, and reception staffed 24 hours. The bathroom had a kind of wetroom - ie the toilet was in the shower - but we couldn't have cared less, it was clean and equipped with all we need. I liked the breakfast, plenty available and tables laid with care.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Greek first
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We chose this hotel for the location. It is only a few blocks from the train station and is centrally located to every major site in Florence. We also chose it because of the price--we realized that at this price it was going to be a sparse accomodation. The hotel itself is located on the 2nd floor and you have to climb steps. There is a hostel type accomodation below the hotel, and the staircase smelled of the outside garbage. However, once inside the hotel it was pretty insulated from the rest of the building. The bedcover needed updating, but the room was very comfortable. There is not a hairdryer or refrigerator, and the shower is located in the middle of the bathroom floor. Still, for the price it could not be beat. I would reccomend it, but definately with a caveat to not expect a whole lot except for the great price and location.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gulielmus4
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Yes, the location was great for us rail travellers. Plenty of restaurants (affordable), shops, groceries, and younger people in the streets. Very good place to hang out if you are 20-30's or if you prefer young people. Kind of like 'spring break' minus the loudness or the drunkedness.
There is a street market about two blocks away that is fantastic for leather goods and other stuff. The Duomo is three blocks away.
Yes, the staff was extra nice and helpful. there is a dog that sleeps in the lobby and snores.
Yes, the room was clean and comfortable.
Yes, the breakfast was very nice.
Yes, I would recommend the hotel. ABSOLUTELY. We thought it was fun. We loved our stay.

And yes, it is three flights up with no elevator. I have never stayed in a room where I could sit on the toilet and put my toes on the bed. The shower was super tiny. Kind of like opening an umbrella that has a shower curtain attached and trying to shower while banging into the sink. It was not The Embassy Suites but I did not go to Italy to be in the United States.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street to get the most natural light. the streets are not noisy. Keep an o...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Trackstars
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Our room was large, clean and airy, with windows opening out on a garden, and the hotel is close to Michelangelo's "David" in the Accademia. The staff was pleasant and the breakfast buffet was good. The down side to the hotel, common in the centre of Florence, one must walk up three flights of stairs to reach the hotel. Carrying luggage up so many stairs is tiring, to say the least. There is a parking garage around the corner, but because we arrived later in the evening, I had to park our car in a garage several blocks away. I felt safe enough walking back to the hotel after depositing the car, but didn't relish such a long walk after hauling all the luggage up the stairs. Also, if you book at this hotel and you are driving a car, be sure to review a map showing the streets in the area beforehand -- there are many one-way streets and block-off streets to curb tourist traffic -- it can be quite confusing. If you arrive by train, no problem -- the hotel is not far away from the train station. As others have said, wifi must be used in the reception area, but no problems doing this.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the garden.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in August 2011 as I'd always wanted to visit Florence and the location and price sold me on this hotel. Having seen a number of reviews about the hotel some positive, some negative, I thought I'd give my opinion.
Before I got to Italy I received an email from the hotel asking if there was any info I required. When I stated that I was looking to visit a number of musuems and asked the best way to get tickets without facing long clues, the staff stated that they could book tickets for me. This was a great help and meant that my time was spent on seeing the sites rather than standing in 40c heat. Amazingly helpful staff which made my stay. Yes the rooms are basic, no lift, etc but I would gladly stay again if in the city

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Andrew B
Dorking
Reviewed 23 June 2013

The hotel appears something out of the 1930s a long climb to the 3rd floor where the pictures on this site are nothing like the real place if you go to room 1 don't it is so small and cramped the bed takes up 75% of the room the paint was peeling and the bathroom is so small you have to squeeze past a sink and then a bidet just to go to the toilet and if you wanted a shower you needed to be some sort of contortionist Glad it was only one night it spoilt our time in Florence Use this hotel only as a very very very last resort

Jacqui and Kevin

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel unless you really have to
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Married0509

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Tiverton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I have stayed here for only 2 nights as I was moving on from Rome and into Milan. It was easy to find the hotel from the train station and, although the entrance to the hotel made me wonder what I've let myself into, I was pleasantly surprised to find the staff being very pleasant. The room wasn't massive but that wasn't a problem whatsoever. The breakfast didn't consist of a massive variety of food but it was good enough to fill you in. However, I can see how people would have trouble getting up to the hotel if they had massive bags with them (I only had a small one, and in any case, what's the point of packing so much that you can't lift the bag? :D) I'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo