“Two stars is one too many”
Review of Hotel Guelfa

Hotel Guelfa
Ranked #357 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We chose this because of its location and the fact that it had air conditioning. I'm not sure why it is considered a 2 star property as the furnishings were very out of date and there was no shower stall (you pulled the shower curtain across the toilet area and the water went into the floor drain). The internet allowed you to sign in once (in the evening) but when we tried in the morning to plan our day, it didn't allow us to sign back in and the desk clerk didn't know anything about computers/internet.

There was a breakfast, which was nice and very convenient. And, we were there during a hot spell, so having a/c was great!

The biggest drawback was that it was a gated hotel, so you had to wait to be buzzed in. It felt a little like we were naughty teenagers coming in after curfew.

I would not stay here again and I would encourage others to find a different hotel in the same price range.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank cathyindc

Reviewed 20 July 2012

I stayed one night in this pensione on my way back home to the states. They marked down my reservation incorrectly (for the wrong day), and when I arrived, I had to boot up my laptop to find the reservation confirmation. It did have air-conditioning and a continental breakfast in the morning with cappuccino, which most don't offer. It's a small place and my room was small with older furniture, and my room overlooked an unkempt patio/landing with screeching cats. With all the places I stayed during my time in Italy, I did feel the least secure here as a female traveling alone since the owners were both male, and I wasn't sure how many other guests there were in the hotel until I'd been there for a couple of hours. The pensione is a short walk from the major sites and the train station, which is a plus.

If you need a place to crash, it's ok. If you are looking for cozy or quaint accommodations, you can probably do better.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Noisy hotel with poor air-conditioning, forget about breakfast - better not to eat.
Staff hardly speak English, so be prepared to communicate in body language on Italian.
I won't come back. Pretty sure there are many other places for the same price.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 April 2010

This hotel was the worst I have ever stayed in, I could not say enough bad things about it! It was filthy, old and grotty. There was a huge rug on the floor which was filthy so we had to wear shoes at all times. We were supposed to stay for 3 nights but we only stayed for one night and checked out first thing the next morning and found another hotel. When we went to use the bathroom, the shower door came loose and the dirt underneath was disgusting. We could not even shower there, we got dressed and left immediatley. We were both covered in bites the next day. The air conditioning was useless and when we arrived we had to ask for the controls to use it as they were not in the room - we were then told to keep it low as it costs alot of money to run! It was about 27 degrees. We couldn't leave the windows open as there were gangs of young people hanging aroung an arcade or internet cafe underneath the hotel so we could not sleep. This hotel ruined the experience of arriving in Florence which I had looked forward to you for years. We made a great decision by checking out and finding another hotel and we really enjoyed the rest of our holiday!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Happytraveller1379
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Hotel Guelfa is in a great location, really close to the Duomo, shopping, and food. If you are a Rick Steve's fan you can find many of his dining and gelato suggestions close-by or within walking distance. The Hotel is family run and they really went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. The rooms are comfortable enough for the price. We were in a room with a private bath that had obviously been recently remodeled. There must have been some kind of problem with the plumbing in the new bathroom because there was a raw sewerage smell...since it was late we decided to open the window and go to sleep. We awoke in the middle of the night being attacked by mosquitoes. But when we shut the window we suffocated from the smell! Needless to say we did not get a good night sleep. My husband told them about what had happened and they seemed genuinely surprised about the smell...but here is the good part: They moved us to an even bigger room, probably the best one they had with no questions asked. They were very, very accommodating and really went out of their way to rectify the problem. We slept like babies that night. We really enjoyed the rest of our stay there, the breakfast was also pretty good, your basic Italian breakfast fare and it was included. I would say for what we paid we got a great deal, the staff was very friendly and helpful with dining suggestions as well as the cheapest way to get internet access. They also provided internet access for a small fee. We walked all over the place from the hotel, we even walked from the train station when we first arrived and walked back when we left. If you are looking for luxurious rooms that look like the Hilton or Holiday Inn in America, then this is not the place for you. If you are a seasoned traveler and you know what to expect with European hotels and you know a good deal when you see one, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marbacca
Reviewed 3 October 2009

Very central hotel close to all amenities,plus the staff is so helpful and nice .The rooms are very clean and well sized too. I would definitly go back.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2008

Given certain restrictions on the language and content which I may use I enter this message with a certain number of ‘conservative’ opinions. Firstly the room for 60 Euros was adequate but was extremely dark and depressing. With a loud air conditioning unit and windows opened by the maids so that flies and mosquitoes could get in made the stay even more uncomfortable. I suppose one may say that it is a cheap room in a good location, given its proximity to the Duomo and the Firenze SMN (central train station). However the room may not be seen as so cheap when around £400 worth of sunglasses went missing there. When we left our key at reception and returned it was not there. The room was open and the key inside it, and I will not make any further accusations. When I telephoned after our stay, the staff were very unhelpful and did not give any adequate explanation, given that there is a security gate controlled by the staff.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank studenttraveller2008