“Perfect location in Florence”

La Residenza del Proconsolo
Ranked #288 of 661 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Recommended by Rick Steve's - easy to walk to from train station. Located right on corner of Duomo square, easy access to all attractions. Room was very big with great bathroom - large shower, breakfast rolled in on cart every morning ( hot - good - coffee with crossaints, cereal, yogurt, cookies and juices. Great price for the money. Staff available for check - in ( offered to help carry bags upstairs) and for check out. Difficult to find otherwise - we were looking for someone to ask questions about train tickets and print out confirmations - not able to connect with anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 June 2014

From train station – 10 min walk, just 1 minute to Il Duomo (aka The Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore), everything is on an easy walking distance – 10 min to Piazza della Signoria and the Uffizzi, 12 min to Ponte Vecchio, 15 to Palazzo Pitti etc. Continental breakfast may be typical for a pensione but somewhat sparse, mediocre coffee. We ended up supplementing it with store bought cheeses and cold cuts (there are grocery stores and specialty stores in the immediate vicinity). The owner is there in the morning, but neither he nor anyone else is there in the evening (you can use an emergency tel. # instead). Our room was huge, high ceiling, wooden beams, certain character, but furniture seemed picked up from a thrift shop, and you are afraid that it may break on you, even if you are far from being overweight . Very bad lighting – odd lamps are scattered around the room but never enough light even to read, and the combination of wall switches and in-line switches is confusing. TV has only Italian channels. At least, internet works. We had old Jacuzzi with the control box beside the tub, but the tub itself was dirty. Even after I asked the owner to have it cleaned, it still had a layer of old soap on its walls and bottom – I didn’t risk to actually use it. As it turned out, the shower head only drips water from one side and the shower curtain is confining – you constantly bump into its cold surface. This space is very awkward and there is a good chance of making a miss-step and slipping while taking a shower of getting into and out of the tub. In response to our request for a clean tub, our room’s floors were washed with something which smelled of mold for the rest of our stay. One of the evenings they probably did their laundry in one of the room adjacent to ours and the noise was such that I could not sleep until they finished sometime about 1 am. Well… I liked that the location was very convenient, but I will not stay there again and cannot recommend that you do. My experience with N4U Guest House Florence, just down the street at Via del Proconsolo, 5, several years ago was much more favorable. And they had a rooftop view of the city, including of that famous dome, from a small terrace at the top of the building.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank new1234
pro72lo, Proprietario at La Residenza del Proconsolo, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

I expected a negative review from this travellers from the beginning but not after their departure. With this review they confirmed their insincerity, so, I would like to reply in detail to their bad review.
All our guests know before booking that we serve the "CONTINENTAL" breakfast, so cheeses and cold cuts are not included. If the guests don't pay attention at the beginning they shouldn't complain afterwards. But as for all the other guests, if they had asked something extra, we would have been happy to satisfy them.

I would like to be able to stay awake for 24 hours and be at the reception all the time, but unfortunately I have to sleep every now and then. However there is always somebody present all the times for any emergency. we are a B&B and we don't have the same services of the hotels.

As for the furniture I can tell that you are experts in the issue. All our furniture is made of solid wood by a carpenter on our project. You can like them or not but we can't accept criticism on their quality.

Regarding the cleaning I invite you to read other guest's review but I would like to underline one thing. It shouldn't happen that the tub is not cleaned well, but it would be stupid to leave the tub dirty after a complaint from the guest. The tubs were changed two years ago, so, are they old?

When a review has to be negative it's better to exagerate: we use the soap that smells of mold to clean the floor. This is gorgeous!!!

If there isn't nobody after 1pm how is it possible that the washing machine works in the night? Mystery!

Inspite of all we were always available for all they requests. Now they make me feel sorry I woke up at 6am to serve their breakfast at 6.45am, out of the regular breakfast time. In that occasion they even complained that there weren't fresh croissants and bread because unfortunately the baker delivers at 7.00am.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

There are not enough positive words I can use to describe La Residenza del Proconsolo. Simply put this place is perfect.

The room we stayed in had a fantastic view of the Duomo. The room itself was gorgeous, wooden beams and high ceilings, brilliant, large windows and a lovely bathroom. Extremely comfortable four poster bed with as many pillows as you could ever need.

Breakfast was served in the room, and it was delivered to the door at a time of choosing. La Residenza del Proconsolo is ideally located and everything was in walking distance. I have seen people complaining about the level of noise at night, however both myself and my girlfriend both slept soundly every night we were there, and heard no noise - big window shutters shut out lots of the noise.

Mariano was fantastic to communicate with before arriving, and nothing was too much trouble for him. I had planned this trip to propose to my girlfriend, and Mariano was brilliant in arranging some special touches for our room on 'D-day'.

I can not recommend La Residenza del Proconsolo enough. If you want to see the beautiful city of Florence, you want to stay here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The staff, service, location and amenities were perfect for what we needed. We came on the recommendation of a friend and we were not disappointed. The staff is friendly and helpful. Request that they set you up with reservations for some of the local museums. They are very accommodating.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We were very excited to stay in this historic building near the duomo. Mariano the owner was great to communicate with before arriving. We were greeted by one of his sons and went to our Michelangelo room. It had a double canopy bed, a cot and a pullout small sofa. Leaning out the window you could view the top of the duomo.
Pros- very central location on mostly pedestrian zone, owners got me gluten free items for breakfast which was very appreciated, breakfast in room...great cafe latte! Rooms and bath was large and clean. Small b and b and we didn't see any other guests in 4 rooms.
Cons- very loud at night despite 2 sets of double paned windows. We were awoken all nights with people screaming outside, motorcycles, and loud music from a bar below which becomes a nighttime bar until late hours. Having just left a loud hotel in Rome with great sound proofing windows, we were disappointed. Sofa bed mattress was awful- very old, worn and needing replacement. My son never complains but couldn't sleep well and when I asked for another cot, they said there wasn't one. Room was on dark side with side table light not working near window.

We had high expectations for this special b and b but the busy Easter time and noise causing lack of sleep, was a big negative. Building in still beautiful, bathroom comfortable and large, owners nice and breakfast served in room. If you are a good sleeper and noise doesn't bother you this is a great place! Prices are good to as we,paid around e145 per night for our room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JeannineH-M
pro72lo, Owner at La Residenza del Proconsolo, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Jeannine,
I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to meet you during your stay in our B&B because I was absent but I would like to tell you a few things regarding your review.
First of all thank you for your nice words about us.
At the same time I can accept observations that are not good because they help us improve our service.
In the case of the noise outside, apart from putting double windows, we can't do anything else.
Our B&B is in the city center, and if you want to have a room with the view of Duomo, there is a possibility that sometimes it is noisy.
Next time, if you come back to Florence and you want to stay here I will be happy to give you one of our most silent rooms.
Best Regards
Mariano

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We didn't need fancy but wanted some charm. Location, cleanliness and a moderate price were key. We found it all here. Tucked off a corner of the Piazza del Duomo, the hotel is a 5-10 minute walk to everything in Florence. But with its high wooden ceilings, terra cotta floors, canopied bed, lace covered shuttered windows, and a simple but good continental breakfast served in the room (homemade lattes, pastry and yogurt/Nutella) it's a good place to spend romantic mornings too. We stayed in the Leonardo room and highly recommend it. To be honest, we were a little nervous about staying at the Residenza after booking the room and then reading some negative reviews online. But they could not have been further from the truth. Aside from a little late- night noisiness in the streets (to be expected in the middle of a city) this place was perfect and we definitely would return.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lara J
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Right by the Duomo, this is a great location for visiting Florence. Also, there is a cab stand a few yards away so easy to get a taxi when leaving the hotel. Since the location is great ,there is a lot of city noise. So, if you're not used to city noises when sleeping - bring earplugs. The staff is great and having breakfast delivered to the room was lovely.

Room Tip: We had the Leonardo Room which was great with a view of the Duomo.