Hotel Donatello
Hotel Souvenir(Florence)
  • Room Service
Delle Camelie(Florence)
View Hotel
All reviewstrain stationminute walkenjoyed our staywalking distancepiazza dellaspacious roomstayed for nightsyogurtmajor attractionsindependenciasquaretuscany
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I fully recommend you to do not go to the Hotel Donatello. It is a daylight robbery !
Reasons:
- not friendly atmosphere
- apart of the room price, you are going to be forced to pay 15€ per person cash. They say is a city tax for tourists who sleep in hotels. They didn't give me any official receipt from Firenze administration.
- they don't have free Wi-Fi and the cost is 6€/hour. At 20 meters from the hotel you have city free Wi-Fi !!!!
- My little daughter broke a hands soap plate and they forced me to pay 36€ !!! And the woman from the hotel was performing a big show against my family in front of other tourists.
- the rooms are in a very low quality. Beds are not good, aircon doesn't work well and very noisy.
- if you take a botle from the room-bar and you don't finish it to keep to the next night, they take the bottle to do not let you finish it.
- The cleaning service have not changed the sheet during our 5 nights stay.
- the baby bed was bad and I had to put towels. moreover you have to pay 15€/night
- the breakfast is absolutly disgusting
- they don't have microwave and any other primary service.

Trust me, skip this hotel, is the worst hotel I have been in my life.

Room Tip: skip this hotel, is a robbery
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Miquel_Armengol
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My daughter and I were in the same party as Judith, whose comment is below, and I concur with her description, although our issues were not so traumatic. Our Hotel Donatello experience was more Fawlty Towers than Room With A View. We had asked for a twin room, but on arrival were allocated a quad with two strangers from our party. After some discussion with people in the group who wanted to share with each other, we swapped to another quad room. Still not satisfied and a sleepless night later because my snoring kept everyone awake, we asked to be moved to a twin, as per our booking request. All the Hotel had free was an apartment in the building next door, but we had to put up with the quad room one more night. We were shown the apartment by ‘Polly’ and we all agreed it was a huge improvement. Our luggage was taken over without issue at the duly agreed time, as daughter and I had booked a coach trip with an early start on moving morning. We were very happy with the apartment as we had room to breathe and better facilities. The only downer, similar to the same in the main hotel, was a single key to each room/apartment. It was not an insurmountable issue, but spares would have been helpful.
After two days in the apartment, we were summoned to the front desk and told we would have to pay an extra 10 euros each a night to stay there, as the travel agent did not want to pay the difference. If we didn’t want to pay, we would have to move back to another quad room. All four of us decided to cough up and stay in the apartment. No brainer really.
‘Basil’, the hotel owner/manager, complained to us that he had too many people in his hotel because his prices were too cheap. I don’t think he could cope with the logistics of putting people in the rooms they had booked. He blamed the travel agent for the cock up, mind you.
When it came to service, some of the staff were brusque and unhelpful, while others were the opposite.
We had air con in the apartment, but there was nothing in the main hotel. Since I was eaten alive by mosquitoes during the first two nights and we couldn’t open windows at night for fear of letting more in, I would suggest the Donatello invests in some mesh screens instead of putting red mosquito killer plugs in the key racks on reception.
Some of the communal spaces in the main hotel could have done with a vacuum, but our rooms were serviced and cleaned every day and there were no issues with the bathroom facilities. Breakfast was continental but adequate, extra pillows were in short supply but I did get one in the end.
The Hotel Donatello is in a great location for walking around Florence, as my copious blisters can now attest and I would certainly consider booking there again for the apartment, but not for a quad room in the main hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you insist you change rooms if you are not satisfied with your allocation, especially if it's not what you requested! Take an extra pillow and if you have an apartment take something that boils water if you want to make a hot drink.
Reviewed 17 April 2014

was only going to use this room for sleeping but we had no air con so opening the window meant being bitten alive by mosquito
some of the staff were very rude but most were pleasant enough
no air con was a massive issue though

1  Thank GeorgeFoord123
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We were part of a party and the room allocation was chaotic, culminating in the hotel owners moving several people to different rooms over the course of the 7 days we were there. They moved us while we were out and packed all our clothes in plastic bags and took them to another hotel without telling us and letting people into the room while our documents were still in the safety deposit box in the room. Breakfast was quite good but when it ran out it wasn't regularly replenished. The staff and the owners could be very confrontational if questioned about their actions. Very good location

Reviewed 8 January 2014

This is one of those few hotels that make you feel in a film. Not a romantic or luxurious film, I'm talking more of films like Psycho and The Shining... Please don't misunderstand me. There's not specifically wrong with the hotel. On the contrary! The staff is nice, the rooms are ok, the breakfast is fine, the location is great. (Of course, there are some problems, like the lack of extra pillows or the overwhelmingly expensive wifi tax - in a city where there's free public wifi everywhere!)
But the hotel has this awkward decoration spreading through this labyrinthian corridors and it creates a bizarre environment.
Believe me, I'm really used to European hotels and I know some places are old and that refits sometimes lead to strange places.
But this one has a special environment. It's a genuine cult place to be found and enjoyed.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends