Villa la Stella
Grand Hotel Minerva(Florence)
US$390
US$373
  • Breakfast included
Hilton Florence Metropole(Florence)(Great Value!)
US$194
US$445
US$418
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewspeaceful staytaking buswifi connectionfiesoledomenicoconferencefirenzecooperativeconventtuscanyterrace
Reviewed 14 July 2012

This hotel was recommended to us. We were looking forward to staying at Villa La Stella. This was part of our 8 week European holiday. We were booked in for 5 nights.

Om arrival the staff (Thomas) was not very friendly, nor welcoming and was not very helpful with any sort of tourist information. This included where to get lunch nearby after having travelled four hours to get to the hotel. We found this hotel to be outdated and more in keeping with a backpackers hostel than a tourist hotel. The breakfast was poor and was not restocked to accommodate all the guests. The table cloths were dirty and were not changed in the time we stayed in the hotel. The kitchen staff was rude and not helpful and yelled at a guest for taking 2 glasses from the dining room to use in the room as none had been provided.

Accepting that this hotel was a former monastery the bed linen was of poor quality and had burn holes in the bedspread.

The WIFI was supposed to have been free and didn't work very well in the room on the second floor even though we were assured it would work okay. The WIFI cost EU10 for 12 hours and didn't work a lot of the time.

We would not recommend this hotel due to poor staff attitude and the generally poor facilities available.

The hotel probably would be suitable for backpackers and large school groups. The latter of which arrived during our stay and caused some disruption.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this hotel unless you have low expectations.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2012

My family and I spent a week at this place, and enjoyed every minute of it. Check-in was wonderful and fast and the staff is very nice and frendly. Our room was fantastic. High ceilings, lovely fabrics, comfortable bed and the location is superb.
We recomend this place ,quiet and very clean, a palce to return.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2011

okay.... so here is the disclaimer for my rating: this is not a 5 star hotel. It doesn't claim to be and you shouldn't book it if you are expecting 5 star service and accomodation. That said.... I would return to Villa La Stella in a heartbeat. For the price, it ticked every box... super clean, friendly, great location and nice views.

And, since I knew it was not 5 star I was thrilled to be served 5 star breakfast every day by the most amazing chef. All of the pastries were hand made each morning (and you can smell them baking from your room.... something Roberto, the chef, says was one of his goals in baking them every day). There is a simple assortment of cheese and meats, wonderful, fresh fruit, croissants (homemade and still warm), often a tart, homemade yogurt, and cereals. Not to mention wonderful Italian coffee. If you are lucky enough to be there while Roberto is still cooking, you will not be disappointed.

A couple of downsides.... the bed was rock hard, the room was very small (but fine for me and like I said, extremely clean), there were limted bathroom amenities, and I observed one person who stayed there at the same time having trouble with service (flowers were not delivered as promised, left out overnight without water, and then no one wanted to take responsibility).

But for the price, location and most of all breakfast these things were merely distractions. Fiesole, right up the hill, Florence down below... surounded by olive trees and views. What more could you ask.

BTW - unlike others, I thought the pizza place nearby in San Domenico was horrible (soggy pizza, overprized and terrible, rude service making fun of my not understanding their accented english) On the other hand.... don't miss Vinandro in the square at Fiesole for dinner... fantastic, or the very first cafe you get to on the left hand side of the square/main street for pizza, perfect and inexpensive (sorry I dont have the name).

if you want to read more about my experience feel free to check my blog on my website, deannewilsted.com

Ciao

Room Tip: top floor,
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank dsw_pdx
Reviewed 8 August 2009

I have to admit being disappointed when I arrived at Villa la Stella. The double room was very small, though it had a great view, and there was a big, noisy school group of teenagers staying on the same corridor on the top floor. Due to the thickness of the walls, the internet wouldn't work in the room (WiFi, 10 euros for 12 hours). There is a large study on the ground floor to use the internet / have meetings. And breakfast is basic (bread rolls, yoghurt, fruit, tea and coffee). The TV is all Italian. If these things matter to you, don't stay. If you're more easy-going about this, you'll have a very decent and relatively cheap break.

However, its charms grew on me... The room was exchanged (at no extra cost) for a larger room with a much better bed (!) big terrace and balcony, from which you could see the Duomo in the distance. You receive mosquito repellant to plug into the wall sockets (mozzies are a big problem in high summer). When there were no groups staying, it was very calm and tranquil. Villa la Stella is about half-way between Florence and Fiesole (route 7), and about 10 minutes on foot (uphill) to San Domenico village (which has a great pizzeria, a deli, newsagent and church). It's easiest to get the bus to both Florence and Fiesole, and the service is very reliable. The simplicity of the place grew on me too. You could pay 100 euros extra per night for mod-cons and a better breakfast - but I'd prefer to use it shopping!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2005

Great views, comfortable and spacious rooms but a little shabby, good breakfast. A pretty far from city by bus. Somewhat difficult to find.

• Stayed: June 2005