“DO NOT STAY IN THIS GUESTHOUSE.”
Review of Locanda Gallo

Locanda Gallo
Ranked #480 of 675 Florence B&B and Inns
East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“DO NOT STAY IN THIS GUESTHOUSE.”
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

DO NOT STAY HERE unless you want to go home with flees, bed bugs. We booked to stay here for 2 nights, just for somewhere to sleep. Once arriving in Florence, we could not find the plac. as previuisky mentioned in one of the other reviews, 'the area looked very dubious'. once we found the place, there was no name above the door or displayed anywhere on the property, windows all boarded up and the building itself looked derelict. We rang the bell outside and the door opened. We stepped into a very, dark, smelly hallway. Took us a while to find the light switch. We didn't have a clue where to go so knocked on the first door we found. An angry Italian shouted through the wooden door, GO AWAY (swore, angrily in Italian) - 3rd floor and sounded like he threw something at the door from the inside. By this time I was starting to feel apprehensive, we began to climb up the narrow, steep stairs with luggage towards the 3rd floor. Once there, again no sign of anyone or in fact, anything! A door was open on the 3rd floor, we entered after knocking to find a young girl (around 16 years old) sat on a chair. Tge girl didnt dpesk and She took us up some more stairs to show us our room. I'm not sure where to start with describing this room!!! To enter the room, it had a sliding door. The lock did not work. Looking inside the room, the size was no bigger than 6 x 10 ft. In this was a very small double bed, corner 2 ring cooker, fridge underneath, and a pole for a wardrobe. Towards the back a 2 foot square for a shower with toilet underneath. To say the least, it was tiny. I did think, it's compact but guess it worked utilising the space. However, the smell of drains, bad egg hits you as soon as the sliding door was opened. There was no electiticity and when the girl turned it back on, the electiticity switched off again. The girl explained, it happens if someone is using the electiticity....!!!! On closer inspection, there was water all over the floor of this very compact room, again the girl said it was coming from the fridge and will dry out eventually? This water was at least one inch thick!!! After the girl left us in this room for a few moments to try and sort out the electiticity, I glanced at the bed and closely inspected the sheets and pillows, there was urine and diarrheor stains (and other stains I'd rather not mention). I pulled back the sheets and found the mattress to have the same stains. This was when I was bit. I then began to notice flees jumping. At this point my son had been sitting on the bed (nowhere else to move basically) and he had been bit several times. It was then when i realised there was no way we could stay in this room. I picked up our suitcases and fled from the room. i found the girl leaving the property, i was surprised, as i thought she was sorting the electricity. i told her i was unhappy with the room, she said, 'You get what you pay for!" and left us staring at her open-mouthed in astonishment. I tried to call the manager but no reply.. As I previously said - DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE .....

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Kat6707

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Greek first
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I stayed here with my sister and I found the room to be really nice. Everything is clean and tidy. Rooms are quite large with lots of room for luggage etc, and the bathroom was big too. The decor is sort of old fashioned and quaint, as you would expect an old Italian house to be, and it had a cosy effect. The man that runs the place is really nice and tried to help us out in any way he could. We really appreciated his friendly nature, and we would definately stay here again if we visit Florence in the future. The location was excellent and we were able to walk everywhere: to all the historic sites, restaurants, shops, and across the river, as well as back and forth to the train station for our side-trips.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tina A
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Entrance hall was not inviting upon arrival, could do with a coat of bright paint. When coming back in the dark. The lights were on a timer, and with six lots of stairs to climb after a long day spent in the city, the lights would go off before we reached our floor. Very dangerous.

A smell like a drain was constant in our room. Namely the Leonardo room. Booked a double room. Got two singles pushed together. The bed my husband was on had a lump in the middle. After first nights sleep, he woke up with his legs, arms and body covered in little red bite marks. My side of the sheet l slept on had dried blood on from a previous occupant. So we slept on the top of the bed for the remainder our stay.

Bedding was not changed during our 6 night stay. Towels changed only the day before we left. View was onto an unattractive courtyard. Could only see the walls of the surrounding buildings.

Kitchen facilities were poor. Two hob cooker only. Pots and pans did not look clean. No tea towels, only a very used washing up sponge. Did not therefore use 'kitchen'.

Decor did not look as good as it did on the website! The yellow and green on the walls and part over the sink/cooker was not good. The TV was stuck high up on a shelf in the corner, with a small screen, could hardly see from sitting on the bed, and it kept going off.

Florence itself was everything we expected it to be and the people were friendly and helpful. So, for two people who travel widely in Europe and the UK. Using hotels and bed and breakfast accommodation. This guest house was far below anything we have experienced .

Disappointed from Lincolnshire.

Room Tip: Do not believe everything you see on a website. They are like holiday brochures from a travel agent...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pamela G

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We were 9 people attending a wedding in Florence and we stayed in 3 rooms in Locanda gallo guest house. The place was wonderful !!! Rooms were very big and absolutely clean. The location can't get better cause you are just 5 min. walking distance from the Duomo but at the same time in a quiet and relaxed street. But the best of all was the hospitality and nice attitude of the Italian girl (really sorry I forgot her name) that welcomed us. She was extremely helpful in whatever we needed! Thank you very much for that! Anyone who chooses this place I think will definitely enjoy his time in Firenze! Cheers!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2012

My boyfriend and i stayed for two nights and the hospitality was great. CAROLINA welcomed us and she was very friendly and helpful. All the staff very nice and willing to assist you. The location is also great, its about 10-15 min walk from everything. Excellent location and will definitely go back there, i will definitely recommend this place. Lee-ann(south africa)

• Stayed September 2012
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I stayed at Locanda Gallo one night before checking into my study abroad program the next morning. The owner, Carolina, picked me up at the airport and completely took care of me on my first night in a new city on my own. She made sure I knew everything I needed to know to get around the city, and I immediately felt so comfortable! I am so glad I stayed here as opposed to a hotel or hostel that would not have helped me in such a friendly was as she did. It was also very affordable. The accommodations were very nice- just as adorable as the pictures! Ideal location for a reasonable price. I would recommend being sure you know how to get there- it could be a bit confusing to find your way up the stairs to the guesthouse. Overall, I would recommend to anyone and would stay there again. Carolina provides great hospitality and keeps a wonderful guesthouse! thanks, Carolina! :)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2012

My fiancee and I arrived in Firenze, on a whim to meet up with a friend but we had no place to stay. Many hotels were booked full and very expensive but we ended up coming across a hotel that suggested Locanda Gallo. We called their phone number (since it was late in the day and registration was not open). The owners quickly arrived to meet us there, tidy up the room and show us around.

I never got their names (my mistake) but the woman was very nice and spoke English very well. The room was very clean and "cute" and it was a short walk to anywhere in the city. The air conditioning was cold, there was free wifi and the room had a hair dryer and TV.

One night, I saw the owner on the street and we talked for a bit. She was very helpful in suggesting a good place to eat named "Mostodolce" as well as a pub near our room. Mostodolce was great and had excellent local beer. We went back to Mostodolce many times before we left.

When it came time to check out (we had to leave very early in the morning) the owners were very accommodating and let us leave the money in the room.

It helps to have a phone if you plan on staying here in order to keep in contact with the owners.

Next time I need a place to stay in Firenze, I will definitely be back to Locanda Gallo. The rooms were great and the owners were very helpful. A great place to stay for a couple on a budget!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple