“A balance of okay and dissapointment”

Villino Il Magnifico
Ranked #288 of 657 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

I needed a spot near the old town, a place to park a car, wi fi and price wise: 80 euros per night.

For that price, I got a good location, a 15min walk to uffizi gallery, a quiet street, a parking inside the gate. A big room and a big bed.

What I didn't get was hot water, no shower head, futile towels and a breakfast not to be touched, cakes were stale, coffee was bitter and it was best to just give it a skip.

Bit in between as to wether I would advise the hotel as there wasn't much else in that price range

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank gemine b

Reviewed 20 May 2013

We were greeted by the owner who was very dashing in his suit. He gave us a map with information and showed us to a spacious double room. I really liked the Italian decor.

I noticed a couple of reviews referring to flooding of the bathroom. We had no problems with flooding, the bathroom was great - very modern.

Breakfast was set out in a wonderful breakfast room. There was a good selection of food. We thought the location was perfect as we didn't want to be amidst the hustle and bustle of the centre. Enjoyed the walks in by the Arno river. It was only a 15 minute walk.

In the evenings we went to some excellent restaurants close by. We had a wonderful time and would recommend this B&B.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor. We had a nice view onto the street.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2012

One of the cleanest places I ever stayed in, in this aspect challenges even 5 star hotels.
Excellent bed - I now plan to replace the mattress at home.
Very friendly owners.
Takes 10 minutes walk to the historic center.
The only problem was the lack of glass wall or any other barrier in the bath to block the water flowing out, so you have to be very carefull not to flood the whole floor of the bathroom.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank IGAL111
Reviewed 12 July 2012

very nice b and b which was very clean and rustic had free air con which was very needed great location within walking distance of florence good secure parking for our motorcycles very friendly owners and breakfast had a good choice which you helped yourself to would recommend linda dave and gaz england

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank bandit1200_8
Reviewed 23 April 2012

First time I stayed there it was wonderful. Returned last November----it had been taken over by new people and it was terrible. My shower flooded the floor and I attempted to mop it up with bath towels. They left me a note stating they only brought fresh towels twice a week and if I used more that that I would be charged $20.00 American dollars. I was so insulted and furious I moved!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Joey W
evavio, Responsabile reception at Villino Il Magnifico, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Dear Guest,
first of all let us tell you we are deeply sorry that you didn't enjoy your staying at Villino il Magnifico.
If you only had told us about your problem, we would have absolutely tried to solve it, moving you to another room if needed.
Each of our rooms is provided with a list of our B&B services and customes, which includes towels and linen details; since Villino il Magnifico is a B&B and not a 4 stars hotel, towels are usually changed after 3 days of usage.
In the note we left you, we just advised that if a daily towel change was needed, a little extra had to be expelted, no dollars amount was specified.
Again our apologies, though we don't think we were insulting, nor aggressive towards you.
Maybe a little more of communication would have prevented this unpleasant situation, which spoiled your staying and makes us so sorry.

Reviewed 16 November 2011

Fairly central, Florence city centre can easily be reached on foot or by bus. Free internet, clean, spacious, quiet. Some restaurants close by. Good breakfast and friendly staff.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Chatouli
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I was pleasantly surprised on being shown my room at Villino Il Magnifico; being a B&B at the lower ranges of budget I didn't have high expectations. The room was large, clean and well appointed with nice, solid furniture; the bathroom less large but perfectly adequate. My view was of the courtyard and surrounding houses, a charming genteel outlook.
I stayed two nights and appreciated the location - close enough to the major sights to be able to walk back comfortably there and back, but distant enough to be reasonably quiet at night. The exception to this was some inconsiderate fellow guests who unfortunately ensured that my second night was regularly disturbed - obviously not in the control of the hotel however!
Breakfast could be improved by providing a few fresh options - more fruit and fresh croissants, for example. Saying that, I came away satisfied and refreshed for the day ahead.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo