“Nice large room, very quiet”

Soggiorno Annamaria
Ranked #292 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Dexter, Michigan
“Nice large room, very quiet”
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Katti's House also owns Soggiorno Anna Maria, which Rick Steve's said was the quieter of the two. Our room was very quiet, quite large, and everything you could want for 100 euro ($144). I do recommend the hotel. The only reason that I gave it a 4 instead of a 5 was that communication was not very good. When I reserved the room over the website, I received back a very nice comunication in English. But then I asked if they could reserve us a specific time for two museums, and the response was all in Italian. I tried using a web translater, but that didn't help. It appeared that they had reserved days and times for me, although they had the museums switched around from the days I had requested, and one time was off 2 hours, which ended up being fine. I didn't know if my requested times and dates didn't work out or what. Then I asked if we could leave the luggage with them since checkin was 3 pm, and if we could have an early breakfast. The response was in Italian. I responded back that I didn't understand them, and could someone there respond to me in English. More Italian. I sent the messages to my brother who works with Italian's, and I was told that the response sounded like someone who was really not Italian but was trying to responsd to me in Italian! I gave up, but it all worked out. We showed up early and were able to leave our luggage, and the breakfast was already in our room in wrappers for the next day. Maria was VERY friendly, but it caused me a lot of frustration with the communication, and wondering if I really had reservations for the museums (which I did, just not exactly what I had asked for)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sharkgarden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Oakhurst, CA
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Staying in Soggiorno Annamaria is like visiting family...lumpy bed, small noisy room on the street, pretty barebones, but I've been there twice because it's convenient for a solo woman traveler..close to the bus and train stations, great location for exploring all of Florence. I feel very safe and feel like I've really accomplished something when I've managed to communicate with the owners. I think it's a real Italian experience...just wish the room wasn't so incredibly noisy. The street vendors store their wagons in the adjacent building so you go to sleep and wake up with the rumbling of the wagons on the cobblestones. Be sure to try their new trattoria next to Katti House.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street. Ask about A/C and how to work it.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank curlyred52
Reviewed 6 October 2010

Nice rooms, clean, great location. Perfect for visiting florence. I totally appreciated it, and will come back!

• Stayed September 2010
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 May 2010

My wife and I were visiting Florence to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Over the years we have done a great deal of traveling and have stayed in a variety of accommodations. Our goal was to only spend time in the room to sleep, shower, and change, so we could spend the rest of the time seeing Florence. The location is good and easy to walk to most of the attractions. The rooms are simple and clean and we were in the back room of the Annamaria with a private Bath. Some noise traveled from the hall into the room, as guests entered and left the hotel, but since there were only 5 rooms on the floor, we rarely heard anyone. The other guests who stayed there were considerate and quite, so there was never an issue. The woman who runs the place is friendly and helpful, and though we only speak English, making it challenging to communicate, she will accommodate and assist requests such as reservations for the museums or pointing out a restaurant. There is free internet access in the main Katti house. For budget travelers looking for a clean, well located accommodation, the Annamaria is a good choice and a great value.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael_in_NYC
Placerville, California
Reviewed 21 April 2010

This hotel choice was doomed from the start. We arrived at the location and hit the buzzer designated "Soggiorno Annamaria" and the person that answered said that we were at the wrong place. I tried again and got no answer. I then called the hotel phone number and the person answering said that I only had a one night reservation even though I had the email confirmation for 2 nights. The owner came over from their affiliate hotel to let us in, and while it was a pleasant room it only had one small double bed even though I had an email confirmation for 2 twin beds for me and my adult daughter. That night was when the fun began. We were in a room with a window on the busy street side. Even with the windows and shutters closed, the loud noise from the people shouting and laughing, and the vehicles going up and down the street did not stop until around 1 or 2 in the morning. We got a few hours sleep until the sounds of the vendors and delivery folk woke us before sunrise. The next day we were moved to a room with 2 twin beds, but it unfortunately had the same noisy conditions.
The icing on the cake was that the key to the front door never worked. We had to wait for someone to let us in each time we went out.

• Stayed April 2010
1 Thank happytrails9518
Australia
Reviewed 4 June 2006

Great room!
You won't believe it until you open the door. Totally charming. First rate.
Fully refurbished.

However, it took us AGES to find the hotel. We walk back and forth past it about 10 times. There is no foyer, just a locked door on the street! There was a small sign that said to go down the road to another place. We finally found the owner and they gave us the key and escorted us up.

It's right in the heart of Florence, just a stones throw from the Domo et.al.

No internet though, but there are internet places next door.

They did goof up our credit card transaction and they charged us twice, currently trying to get it back. Not really their fault though (the printer failed), the old couple who own it just can't handle this new fangled technology.

• Stayed April 2006