“Decent price but I'll go stay somewhere else next time in Firenze”

Soggiorno Alessandra
Ranked #363 of 657 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 July 2010

My wife and I stayed here for several nights in May 2009. Our room was clean and we had a private bathroom across the hall from our room. The room had a window but it looked into a storage / utility room that had a skylight and sinks / mops / brooms. Also, the room had a noticeable mold / mildew odor. It was not very pleasant.

The bathroom did not have a shower in it when it was originally built, but a drain and shower head were added at some later point as a remodel. This caused two problems: 1) while there is a shower curtain, the water still runs all over the bathroom floor because the drain is level with the rest of the floor, and 2) there was not a vent or other means of air circulation in the bathroom which caused it to smell of mold / mildew.

We found the self-service breakfasts in the room to be enough to get us started, and later in the morning we would grab a cappuccino and pastry at a cafe.

The location was okay, but if you're going to spend a lot of time north of the Arno closer to the Accademia or Duomo, then you may want to find lodging that is closer to those attractions. If you think you'll spend most of your time in Oltrarno, then this may be just fine for your needs.

The cons I've mentioned were not horrible, but they were enough to make us wish we had gone somewhere else. Perhaps more experienced travelers in Italy will find these issues to be nothing for them. Alessandra was courteous, but next time in Firenze I'll spend a little bit more money to get a better lodging experience.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 September 2009

I don't stay at hotels or fancy places, so if you're the opposite, you wouldn't agree or benefit with my review. The rest of you, read on...
GREAT LOCATION: a bridge away from Ponte Vecchio, steps away from the best gelatos in florence. You get the benefit of being near the tourist spots AND near the local neighborhood where you can get authentic food without the tourist price.
GOOD SERVICE: Room was cleaned everyday (we didn't expect it).
RIGHT PRICE: yes, there's really not a real breakfast, but the price is right for it.

Our room was so huge that it had an extra bed and a desk. Alessandra was so friendly and helpful. She spoke English as well. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jensfbay
Reviewed 12 May 2009

Alessandra was welcoming and friendly. She got us set up in our room and gave her phone number in case we had problems when she wasn't in her office. She also allowed us to keep our luggage in the building while my friend and I toured more of Florence on check out day. She also let us pay with a credit card, even though it was listed as "cash only".
Unfortunately, we had "an inside room"; our only window was very small and looked out onto a very tiny "courtyard" that was about 4 feet by 4 feet. We could barely see the sky from our room. That being said, it was very quiet!
Our bathroom was just across the hall from our room, but was ours exclusively. It was also very small, with the toilet in the same space as the shower.
The place listed "tvs in every room", which ours did indeed have. However, it didn't work. That was fine, since we were not using our room for its entertainment value (and I had a DVD player with me.) :)
The Soggiorno is situated just one block away from Fiume Arno and one bridge down from Ponte Vecchio making it a decent home base for Florence.
My only complaints are the "breakfast" is just in-room packaged pastries, cookies, and toasts/jellies. The entryway to the soggiorno, which is a good size hallway after entering the secure, locked outside door, is shared with many other businesses and personal living quarters and seemed dark, dirty, and run down. It had a funky smell to it, too. The lack of elevator was inconvenient, especially since I'd strained my back a few days earlier. There are two flights of stairs to navigate to get to the entry floor of the soggiorno.
Overall, Soggiorno Alessandra is a decent place to stay for the price and location in a busy expensive city.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2008

Located in the Oltrarno quarter of Florence, this B&B is recommended in Rick Steves Florence & Tuscany guidebook - and heartily by me. It is a great budget choice in Florence; not a budget town. Despite reading a somewhat negative review, we made a choice to lodge here. Long ago I discovered that there are reviewers who bash small rooms, European breakfasts, church bells and smoking, among other complaints. Those travelers, IMHO, should stay at a Hilton or Sheraton, in their home town. That said, I seek out locally owned and operated B&Bs in Europe such as the the Soggiorno Alessandra. We booked there and stayed in three rooms, sharing one bath, down the hall, but all on one, private floor. It was nearly our own apartment. The rooms we booked at the B&B were large enough, clean and didn't smell of smoke. While the breakfast was pre-packaged with instant coffee, it was adequate and satisfying. We found the experience of eating breakfast in our rooms to be a convenient start to the day. Our host was helpful with recommendations and directions. Take it from a veteran European traveler, this is a very good budget Florence choice.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Clarkkp
Reviewed 13 November 2007

We stayed at Soggiorno Alessandra this fall and found it to be a little lacking. Alessandra was very friendly, and our room was quiet. However, our room was VERY small...I felt like we were living in a closet. Also, while there is no smoking in the rooms, our room was right next to Alessandra's, and she must smoke beause often we'd come back to find our room smelling quite smoky. The breakfasts were not great, either. Most days we ended up buying breakfast somewhere else. The hotel is in a great location -- easy to walk to the major sites, and the price was very reasonable. If you're on a tight budget, Alessandra's is not bad, but if you can spend a little more for a better room, I would.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mmmmkay
Reviewed 23 October 2007

Unfortunately we drove to Florence--scary! However when we arrived in the city we called Alessandra and she was extremely helpful. When we arrived she helped us with parking and was so nice. Also we arrived much later then we thought we would (traffic) and it was no problem. Luckily our room had air conditioning so we didn't have to leave the windows open which was good because of the noise and the mosquitos. The in-room breakfeast was better than expected.
Overall it is a good value and the location is pretty good too. Its an easy walk to all the main attractions.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2007

I recently stayed here and found Alessandra and her helper, Barbara, to be very nice, and helpful. Both went out of their way to assist us where they could. The location is also excellent - no need to use buses or taxis to get around - everything you will want to see is within walking distance.

The photos you see on their website of the rooms are somewhat deceiving - be prepared to get a smaller room than what the pictures show.

Also, this place is best for experienced travellers to Italy - the bathrooms may shock those who have never stayed in Italy before. Not only is the bathroom super small, but there is no actual bath tub (so when you shower, the whole bathroom showers with you) - only a drain in the floor of the showering area and a shower curtain. The toilet is also in the showering area, so it will definitely get wet when you do shower. Having the toilet there also means that you have very little room to shower, and that you must use the toilet essentially in the showering area.

Breakfasts are small (to be prepared yourself in your own room) - you will get a kettle with some instant coffee or tea, and some packaged croissants, biscuits, cookies and jam. This is sufficient for small eaters or people in a hurry. But if you are looking for something a little better, there are a few places down the street where you can get excellent pastries and a wide selection of coffees for a true Italian breakfast, and can do so quite inexpensively (most coffees are 0,80 Euros and pastries run at 0,90 Euros).

On the whole, the place is relatively clean, well-run, and you will find plenty of help from either Alessandra or Barbara should you need it. While I would not consider staying here for a lengthy stay (only because I would want something a little bigger), if I found myself in Florence for a short visit, I would definitely come back here. The location, price and service cannot be beat.

Note: This B&B only accepts cash payment - so make sure you bring enough cash with you to pay Alessandra on your last day there. There is also a strict cancellation policy (she will advise you of it at the time of booking), so anything less than 30 days notice of a cancellation, will result in you having to pay a penalty of some kind.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank qwerty85