“Mixed Review”

Ranked #107 of 675 Florence B&B and Inns
Abu Dhabi, UAE
“Mixed Review”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We booked into the Ridolfi Guest House after reading rave reviews on TripAdvisor, but it wasn't quite what we expected.

Emilio was very congenial, and he met us at the door on our arrival. He gave us a map and pointed out points of interests and good restaurants.

We were a bit surprised to learn that our "private" bathroom was actually located across the hall in the front lobby of the house. We didn't even have a mirror in our room so we found ourselves having to use the mirror in the lobby. With the push button showers and lack of privacy it felt more like a low budget hostel than a B & B that we paid good money for.

Breakfast was standard fair-bread, jams, coffee. The first morning Emilio wasn't there, and the woman on duty didn't offer any breakfast, so we left without eating. The second morning we got coffee with not milk (guess it needs to be a special request). The kitchen is very handy, and Emilio did tell us to make ourselves at home. The fridge in the room is handy too.

The location is good, the place was clean, the elevator was handy, but I think for this price you can find rooms with private baths attached to the room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank chagnes
Ridolfi_Guest_House, Proprietario at Ridolfi Guest House, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Madam,
thank you for taking time to comment on our b&b. We are happy to hear
that you appreciated some of the services we offer, our aim is to make our guests
feel at home.
We apologize if however in some ways we did not come up to your expectations.
We were also surprised that you had difficulties,which, if reported immediately,we
would easily been able to resolve.
As explained on check-in, breakfast is served in your room between 8 and 11 a.m.
We offer all drinks requested (coffee, cappucino,milk, hot chocolate, tea etc) as well as
fresh brioches, bread,biscuits,butter, jam, honey, chocolate and yogurt.
I personally spoke to the lady who stood in for me on the first morning; she
confirmed that only one girl was in the room and that she didn't want breakfast.
The other two friends went out before 8 o'clock.
I was present on the second morning and I prepared the drink you ordered.
I am sorry that you were not happy with your room which has a private bathroom
opposite. When booking however, it is possible to choose an en-suite or an external
bathroom. Information is clearly given with photos, descriptions and prices on our
main and secondary websites.
I would also like to inform you that we are nature friendly, using led lighting
and special taps to reduce energy waste.
In the hope of welcoming you again among our guests, my very best wishes,
Eliseo (or if you prefer Emilio)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Grazzie Barbara for your super friendly welcome :)
We had a very cute room, with a high ceiling "a l'italienne" and very quiet.
Great location, 10-15 mn walk to il duomo and 10 mn from train station.
We'll definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Ridolfi Guest House provided an excellent option within easy walking distance to both the centre-storico (historical centre) and the Stazione Santa Maria Novella (central train station). Useful as we had to catch a train to/from Rome. For only 43 euros we had a comfortable room with breakfast and wifi included. Our host was extremely accommodating - making us some delicious smily faced cappuccinos with pastries for breakfast - helping with any questions or requests we had and happy to give us suggestions as to where to eat and what to see. My only complaint was the noise otherwise highly recommended!

Room Tip: Perhaps request a room away from the road - ours was quite noisy!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We had a really nice time at Ridolfi's b&b. It was perfectly clean and welcoming, and our hosts were really lovely. In a beautiful building very close to market/duomo etc. Our host gave us some wonderful recommendations for restaurants and we were so happy to have chosen here to stay. Great wifi, very quiet, very safe, kitchen with fridge, nice breakfast in the morning.
We stayed in the angel room and the bed was a bit hard unfortunately but that was really the only thing.
Grazie Eliseo!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I was dismayed at the quality of accommodation I'd gotten in London and Paris, so when I arrived in Florence with relatively low expectations of the establishment, I was pleasantly surprised not only at the level of service I received, but also the quality of amenities Ridolfi Guest House provided -- all this, considering that it cost the least!

The establishment took a while to hunt down, owing to its ordinary façade which looked no different from any other apartment building. Its location was within walking distance of the Santa Maria Novella railway station as well as Piazza dell'Indipendenza; if you're arriving by train, I'd recommend walking down Via Nazionale to the hotel to avoid navigating through the confusing alleys and junctions.

The room I was given was excellent. It was cleaned prior to my arrival, so the room was spotless and organised. The interior decor of the room and its furniture gave it a very homely ambience, and I felt as though I was staying in a friend's (immaculately designed) room if anything! The mural on the wall was definitely a nice touch -- it made the room feel so much livelier. The amenities provided all functioned perfectly and the beds were comfortable. Space definitely wasn't a concern either, as the room was spacious and airy. It was the one establishment throughout my trip that actually compelled me to linger around for a while longer rather than to immediately dash out to explore the sights (not to discredit Florence at all -- the city's beautiful!)

The service! It was one of the best I've ever received. Eliseo took the time to reply all our email inquiries in a friendly and patient manner, to ensure our experience was satisfactory. Whilst I didn't get to meet Eliseo in person, the receptionist present on the day I arrived, Manuela, was a delight to be around with! She greeted us with a megawatt smile upon arrival and offered help with the luggage -- up three flights of stairs, no less! She provided us really useful insider's information about Florence and gave me a crash course in Italian. Her recommendations were mostly spot-on and she was definitely a pleasure to talk to, especially with her fluent English. She left us a letter before our departure, which was a really sweet gesture on her part, and left croissants as our early train the next day meant that we had to skip breakfast. The croissants were more than decent, so I'd expect breakfast to be nice too.

In retrospect, I regret spending such a short time in Florence. If I return to Florence -- or rather, when I return to Florence -- I'll definitely choose to stay in Ridolfi once again. The next time around, I'll make sure not to miss their Italian cappuccino!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank KelvinHuang
Taichung, T'ai-wan, Taiwan
Reviewed 18 November 2013

It was great to living in this B&B. The host was so nice who will give you any advise for travelling.
And the room is clean and organized. The breakfast was nice.
Not far from the train station. For the first time stay there might need a bit of time by searching but if you ask people will be much easier.
It's a great B&B^^

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This place doesn't have any signage you can see from the road, so it's a little tricky to find, but just use the address. The room was a good size and was clean. Breakfast was included in our cost...basically croissants, jelly, etc. There was an exterior private bath right across from the room. Only complaint about it is you have to hold the button down in the shower for the water to stay on. Well, that and the motion detector light turned itself off while I showered. Oops. There is an elevator, so no hauling your luggage up stairs. Good wifi in the room. The room was equipped with AC. Our room had 2 small beds, which was perfect for 2 travelers.

The owner/manager is various gracious and helpful. He did charge an extra 4 euros for tax that hadn't been disclosed on anything. But he offered to hold our luggage for free for the day after we checked out, so it all evens out. This hotel is an easy walk to many of the major attractions in Florence. We only spent a day there and walked everywhere. No free parking near there, but the owner will recommend a garage about 3 blocks away (21 euros cash for 24 hours of parking). Overall this hotel was a great find and I would recommend it for your stay in Florence.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends