“Great hostel atmosphere!”

Dany House
Ranked #298 of 675 Florence B&B and Inns
“Great hostel atmosphere!”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

This hostel had one of the best atmospheres of any hostel I stayed in while backpacking in Europe. As a solo traveler, I felt welcomed into the Dany House "family" from the moment I walked in the door; I shared meals with other guests each night and went sightseeing with them during the day, and every new guest who came in during my stay was welcomed just like I was. Jonathan, the owner, was so friendly and had great advice for my stay in Florence. The rooms were big and fairly comfortable. Not quite in the center of florence, but walking distance to major sights.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed 15 May 2013 via mobile

Jonathan makes everybody feel at home. Free wine, nice people, warm beds and NUTELLA in breakfast. I'll definitely stay here again.
Clifford is very helpful, gives good nightlife hints and keeps music going on in the place. I guess that was one of the best parts of Florence.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 30 December 2012

The staff is what makes this place, Jonathon and Clifford are lovely people very welcoming and the gatherings at night and for breakfast are good ways to pick up tips on what to do and see and what to avoid Jonathon also sits down at the start and explains things although I was quite tired at the time and wasn't really listening. It is a little difficult to find and is off the beaten track a bit you denfinately don't head back there several times during the day, in fact the one problem is that it is a bit far to walk home then go out for dinner again in the centre of the city esspecially if you are footsore from walking around all day and there are no too many food options in the immediate area. There is no airconditioning here and we were travelling in summer so was quite hot though the beds were comfortable though quite noisy.

Room Tip: If you are uncomfortable with gay people you may want to stay elsewhere though you will be missing o...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Todd Y
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 21 November 2012

What a grand experience this was. The beds were comfortable, help wonderful, and wine reception each night in the commons room was a great opportunity to meet the other travelers from all over the world! It was convienient to walk to all the attractions and the help was wonderful about giving directions and suggestions. My traveling budy, Cheri and I would absolutely stay there again if back in Florence.

Room Tip: We started in a 6 mixed room which was fine then transfered to the two private. 6-room had a privat...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sherri N
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 7 November 2011

if you are going to stay anywere in Florence it must be Dany House. You wont receive treatment like you do at Dany house even in a 5 star hotel. Free breakfast everyday and even better free wine and snacks every night. Jonathon, Ella and Clifford go above and beyond to give you the best possible service. I would live at Dany house if i didnt have to go home. You will meet the most amazing people in this Hostel and you really do feel like you have become part of a family. best hostel!!!

Room Tip: the 6 bed dorm has a private bathroom but other than that all rooms are fantastic.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I've stayed here for three nights on my own, in a double room. Generally, in most hostels rooms that small are kept "private" and you must buy both beds to gain access to it. Having the option here of sharing a room with only one more person was a good bonus as I had been sleeping in dorms for a while.

The entrance of the hostel is a bit tricky to find and looks very sketchy and smells a bit muggy. You must make your way to the first floor to find the reception. Right away, I thought I had the wrong place as it feels and looks although you are entering someone's private apartment, but Jonathan, the guy who runs the place made me feel at ease right away.

He sat down with me , took payments, offered me wine/siftdrinks and brought out some chips and went thru the map of the city showing me what I should see, how much it cost, where to eat, etc. He also gives you a business card so u cam call him on his cell phone if you lost/have questions when you're away.

It is situated just outside the old city walls, which is not the most central location in town but since Pisa is so small, it really doesnt
matter and you can walk everywhere.

Included Breakfast is coffee with cereals and served at 9am every morning. It would be nice to have a bit more selection in choices (pastries, fruits...) and have a wider time frame to eat breakfast in the future but i guess this is better than nothing. Jonathan also provides free red wine every night at 9pm as well as chips which is great socially.

The hostel only has three rooms so you get to know people quite fast and sort of become a little family.

There is one computer to share and free wifi thruout (worked great). There is only two toilets/showers to share between everyone (20 people) so you may have to wait at times.

No kitchen (just a fridge/microwave) no lockers, no laundry.

• Stayed September 2011
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 December 2010

I stayed at the Dany House 2 years ago and wanted to write a review and kept forgetting or didn't know where to make one! But it was a great enough experience to still write about 2 years later, so that ought to tell you something right there! :D

Anyways, yes, wonderful place for young broke travelers! I met people from all over the world and we had a phenomenal welcome with box wine and amazing company! I learned so much from fellow travelers and the staff. My trip to Florence was truly enriched by staying at this hostel, honestly!

I believe we bought 1 or 2 nights and ended up staying another because we really enjoyed it there! The Dany House (when I was there) was family-owned or at least a small privately-owned place, with amazing and conversational staff!

Unfortunately, the only picture I have of the Dany House was of their awesome and adorable puppy who hung out with us the whole time [see picture]! I was too busy having a ball, I forgot to take pictures! ;P

My only warning is that when you FIRST get there, it's kind of sketchy because it's on the second floor of an old semi-odd building you have to ring the doorbell to and have someone come down and lead you up LOL. But trust me, after the initial awkwardness, you'll have a blast!

As I recall, we chose this spot because it was cheap (aka, we could afford it! LOL) and it's not too far from attractions, but either way, HIGHLY recommend this hostel! I have yet to experience a better hostel than Dany House!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends