“Fantastic”

First of Florence Residence Apart'Hotel
Ranked #30 of 326 Speciality Lodging in Florence
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I chose this hotel/Apartment based on reviews from Trip Advisor and the fact that I was looking for somewhere where I could have our children (8yrs & 4yrs) in a separate room. Everything about this place was fantastic. Laura was great and looked after all our needs. The Apartment (Elizabeth I Room) was clean and a good size with a large bathroom that had a spa bath, which the kids loved. All the amenities mentioned on the web sight where there and more importantly worked. The decor is lovely and original, which adds to the ambience of the hotel.

We arrived on a day that was extremely hot, which mean't that the complimentary food and juice was great with two tired children.

The location was perfect and therefore close to sights and all the shops you need.

As mentioned by others, parking is not an option if you have a car, which is why I actually took this advise and chose to get a shuttle for our family into town from the airport and then return us after our stay. We then picked up our hire car from the airport to continue our journey in Italy. A shuttle Service on line is about 42 Euros for a family of 4 or the 'First of Florence' offers a service for around 50 Euros. If you already have a car, I believe there is a parking area near by, but you would most likely need to get a taxi, which Laura from the hotel would help with.

The 'First of Florence' is certainly a little gem in every way, which we can't recommend enough.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 June 2010

Great location, right behind the Doumo, rooms in good conditions, welcome packet that includes a bottle of wine, only downside no parking onsite.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 June 2010

This is not a traditional hotel and initially we struggled to find the reception on the first floor. Once we spotted the small sign and doorbell there were no more hiccups. Laura on reception was very welcoming and informative. What an amazing suite of rooms - top quality in every aspect.

The location of the Hotel is fantastic , a 2 minute walk to the Duomo and very handy to pop back for a rest after hours of walking. Free use of a computer for internet access is also very useful.

Previous reviews have mentioned the food,fruit,wine etc. We wanted some milk for a cup of tea and as soon as we mentioned this to Laua she immediately went to a local shop to buy us a bottle of milk.

The central location was great and the only small downside was some street noise in the early hours caused mainly by cars but this did not really cause us too many problems.

We would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2010

Very impressed with the First of Florence. Outstanding apartments just a couple of minutes from the main piazza of Duomo. Laura, the concierge, was an excellent host and looked after us wery well. We had the largest suite - 2 separate double bedrooms, 2 sofa beds in the living area, plus 3 bathrooms! The kitchen was modern and extremely well appointed - we also had free wine and fruit basket on arrival. Breakfast included in the deal - taken just across the road at the cafe. Huge choice of well cooked/presented food. All attractions just a short walk away - Laura provided us with maps and advise when requested. Would definitely go again!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2009

Traveled with husband and 13 y/o daugther. Hotel is in a 2nd floor, but there is a small elevator. We were given a 2 levels suite, very comfortable, clean, modern, spacious bathroom, and with a small kitchenette. Conveniently located, just walking distance from most points of interest, museums, cathedrals, restaurants, and small groceries stores. Doesn't have restaurant, but our rate included breakfast in a small restaurant accross the street. Breakfast was great, as well as food (had dinner one night there). Service was excellent, the councierge (Laura) help us in varios occasions in getting tickets to museums, handling phone calls, directions and taxi service. We will definitely recommend it and will stay there again. Thanks Laura !!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 November 2009

I was really stoked about this apartment-hotel when I discovered it on www.booking.com. The online pictures were gorgeous, the location seemed perfect, and the price seemed too good to be true. When I looked it up here on TA, I was surprised to see the low rating. I figured I had found a best-kept secret, since 3 out of the only 4 reviews on TA had given it 5 stars, and it was just one bad review that was tankng its rating - which seemed to be written about a completely different hotel (given the reference to it's location "in the middle of nowhere.") So I booked two suites for the 5 of us (3 in a 4-person suite and 2 in a two-person room) eight months in advance. First let me say that upon arriving in Florence, we couldn't find the hotel right away. There are two different addresses with the number 38 on the same street - Via dei Servi. One is "red" and one "blue." We walked north up the street from the Duomo and the first one you find is "red," which is not the hotel. There is nothing there! We thought we'd been scammed until we asked for help and went further up the street to find it at the "blue" address. What a relief until we went upstairs and discovered upon checking in that they had given one of our rooms away to someone else! I couldn't believe that after booking so far in advance, and re-confirming the booking thru phone and email closer to the arrival date, that they would give up our room to other travelers. I assume they saw an opportunity to put all 5 of us into their 6-person suite with only one bathroom to share, but didn't bother to ever ask us how we felt about it. We had no choice once we got there because it was the only room they had available. We had booked two separate rooms for a reason, because we wanted separate baths and privacy from each other. (My husband & I were traveling with my parents and my sister.) We couldn't even speak to the manager about it because he or she wasn't present at all during our stay. The woman at reception was nice enough in her apologies and offered us a discount on the room and to move my husband & I to a new room the next night. But she didn't speak English very well, and never answered the phone when we had been trying to call earlier in our efforts to find the hotel. That said, the suites are indeed gorgeous and very clean, the location is indeed perfectly set in the heart of Florence's historic center between the Duomo and the Accademia Gallery, and the price is indeed very good for what you get. The bathrooms are huge, but the showers very small. The beds are very hard, but I found them to be very comfortable. Depending on which room you are in, street noise is a problem. The included breakfast served across the street is very good and the service there was great. You can choose between an Italian breakfast (croissants) or an American menu, and the cappuccinos are excellent. There are washer/dryer combos in each room, but the dryer didn't work. Perhaps the best part is the fridge stocked with water, cheese, prosciutto, and OJ and the table stocked with wine, fruit, and bread - all FREE! You can walk anywhere in Florence from here within 10 minutes, so it really IS a superb location. And the rooms really ARE very spacious and beautifully furnished.....so it is a shame that I can't give them the excellent review I wanted to give them to help boost their TA rating. But I just have no tolerance for a hotel that gives away a confirmed reservation.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank noeloni
FirstofFlorence, Manager at First of Florence Residence Apart'Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2010

Dear Mrs. Noeloni,

thanks a lot for your review, that is very accurate and true. But please, believe us, we have not deliberately given away a confirmed reservation, it was a serious human error, only.
We apologize and we hope you'll give us a new opportunity to be forgiven for our error.
Best regards,
First of Florence Residence

Reviewed 20 January 2009

First of Florence - January 2009 - Excellent

Enter via huge wooden doors to a secure courtyard; 2 floors up to the reception area; greeted by a lovely young woman with fairly good english. Enter the apartment which isnt huge but beautifully appointed. Dishwasher, washer/dryer, beautifully appointed kitchen. Bedroom/s are upstairs (not suitable for wheelies). In the fridge they provide a selection of (free) snacks; a welcoming bottle of wine and fresh fruit. Everything you need after travelling. Great location, walking distance to the city centre and most of the tourist attractions.

I am looking forward to revisiting - after travelling throughout Europe and UK and staying in 4* apartments, I would rate this as THE BEST we stayed in. Great value, breakfast was included.

Stayed: January 2009