This B&B has much to recommend it, but there are a number of little drawbacks which may or may not matter to the individual traveller.
Positives: The rooms are comfortably furnished and the water pressure in the shower was fine. The location can’t be beat; most of the main attractions are a short walk away. The train station is only a 15-minute walk; ditto for the rental car agencies should you decide to rent a car for a side trip to, say, Pisa. The “suite” (room Lorenzo) was nice and spacious. Our room faced the Piazza di Signoria, and watching the comings and goings of that bustling square from the window was itself something of an attraction. The windows are provided with solid wood shutters which can be closed to really shut out the morning light. The windows are quite soundproofed, which substantially muffles the din from the piazza. And in the night, the room was absolutely quiet (but see below). The staff is friendly and helpful.
A number of little things keep this B&B from earning 5 stars, however. If any of these matter to the individual traveler, be advised accordingly.
1) The bed was fairly hard, so if you are used to a more luxurious sink-into-the bed feeling, you may be unhappy with it.
2) The in-room safe was very small, so don’t plan to store your laptop in it.
3) Breakfast European style is brought to your room and consists of one cup of coffee, rolls, croissants, and fruit. If you want something more, there is a well-stocked grocery store close by, and if you book one of this hotel’s “suites” you will be able to cook or microwave your own food. The kitchen is well-stocked for cooking, including a coffee-maker.
4) The office is only staffed 6 hours per day. If you have any need to contact them at other times, you are out of luck. I tried the cellphone number that they gave, but it was not answered, nor were my voice mails ever returned.
5) Although the windows are commendably sound-proofed, a certain amount of noise from the outdoor restaurant directly below in the piazza can be heard if the diners speak loudly. This diminishes by midnight or before and then the room is incredibly quiet.
6) If you dread walking up and down stairs, ask for a lower floor. The staff will help you with your luggage.
7) There is a stall shower but no tub.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Casa del Garbo**** A home in the heart of the art of Florence Florence is a city that amazes you every day while remaining the same. It boasts a wonderful succession of artistic vestiges and characteristic corners that little by little will surprise you as you stroll the streets of its center. The historical accommodation, La Casa del Garbo, is an elegant Bed & Breakfast located in the heart of the Florentine historical center, in Piazza della Signoria. It is right in front of Palazzo Vecchio, a few meters from the world famous Galleria degli Uffizi, near Piazza del Duomo and Ponte Vecchio. Every day that you spend in one of the suites of La Casa del Garbo, you will breathe the charm of Florence. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your La Casa del Garbo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Casa Del Garbo Hotel Florence