“oasis of calm” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #222 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Bristol, United Kingdom
“oasis of calm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

We loved our stay at Hotel Emma. We had booked it in error thinking it was near the station but it wasn't near SM Novella station. However we were not disappointed. Hotel Emma is in a nice area of Florence away from the main touristy bits. The host was very helpful giving us directions to the centre and answering any questions we had. He suggested a bus route but we had no difficulty in walking to the sights. The room was clean, our sheets were changed once in our 3 night stay! The breakfast was in a really peaceful room with fresh bread and croissants every day. Lovely

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
NYC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

I've never given a bad review about any hotel and although I didn't have a miserable stay at Emma I did run into a few problems while I was there. I booked a 3 night stay via Expedia. First I booked a 2 night stay online back in early March with a discount no cancellation permitted for May. Immediately after I booked for 2 nights I decided to stay 3 nights instead. So I called Expedia and asked them if there would be any penalty if I added a night they said no. They explained to me that since I wasn't cancelling just adding an extra night I wouldn't be charged twice. So they added an extra night for 3 consecutive nights. Next day I noticed a charge for 224 Euros and 190 Euros. I called Expedia and they called the hotel but it was late at night and the desk clerk said to call in the morning. I call directly to the hotel the following day and spoke English slowly since i don't speak Italian they hung up on me. I did email them explaining what had happened but I never got a reply. When I got to the hotel the owner who was the only person running the hotel with a helper told me that I would be charged twice and that I should have emailed him about the reservation modification. I explained to that I did email him and Expedia tried to get in touch with him but he didn't seem to care and so I was charged twice. Anyway when I returned to NY I called my bank and explained what had happened and so they credited my account for the amount of 190. Problem #2 when we walked into our room the bed sheets had a red stain which to me and my wife looked like blood. There was more than one stain. I asked him to change the sheets when I went out when i got back he had swap the sheets with a clean one. problem #3 first night we heard someone walking up and down the hallway talking loud on their cell phone. Then one night around 10pm I was thirsty and went to get some water but the fridge was locked and so I went looking for the owner to buy a bottle of water but i couldn't find him. I went to tap the front desk bell to get someone to open the fridge but it was disabled so it didn't ring. I I walked all around up and down the hallway but couldn't find anyone. The front door was looked and I couldn't even get to water machine on the first floor. So I spent the whole night thirsty. Speaking of first floor their is no elevator in this hotel. In Venice I could except this but in Florence no elevator? We had to carry our luggage up the stairs. The owner sold me bus passes at the hotel and told me that his were cheaper than buying bus passes outside the hotel. When I went to to cigar stand across the street to buy a bus pass it was the same price and well as everywhere else. The mattresses are uncomfortable but so was every other hotel in Italy that I stayed in. If you have a bad back like me that might be a problem for you.The only positive thing I could say about this hotel is that it isn't too far from the historical site. It's about a 15 bus ride or you could possibly walk over.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the terrace people talk on their phones at night. Also away from the kitchen ar...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Alberto P, Direttore at Hotel Emma, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Dear Guest,
regarding your reservations we would like to precise the following:
We received two different reservations, to you entitled, the first one for two days and the second one for three days.
For both reservations was applied the discounted rate, which implies the advanced payment-not refundable.
We confirmed both reservation and the rooms were reserved for you.
There is no record of you calling the hotel or sending e-mail to inform us about the mistake, we can assure you that we have checked several times and we haven't found any e-mail regarding this issue.
Just upon check-in time, we understood that you needed just one of the rooms reserved and we explained that both reservations were prepaid and the discounted rate applied doesn't permit any refund.
We don't know if you by mistake, instead of amending the existing reservation, did a new one or Expedia operators did not interpret correctly your request, either way we are sure that there is no error on our behalf. Hotel Emma has had an impeccable attitude regarding this issue.
We are sorry for the happening but, as explained previously, the special discounted rate is not refundable.
We are really sorry that you were not pleased with the stay in our hotel at the same time we feel that partially it has been inducted by the misunderstanding regarding your reservation.
Especially, I apologize if there have been any issues with the quality of our services, we do our utmost to provide impeccable cleaned rooms.
We daily check the quality of the provided services, receiving excellent feedbacks.
The bell at the reception is a mechanic bell, as such it can't be dis-activated.
The reception service is guaranteed up to midnight and there is always a person in charge 24 hours a day, available for any emergency.
The bus ticket is a plus service that we offer to our guests without any profit for our hotel therefore there is no reason to advertise it as more convenient. If you purchase the ticket on the bus there is a surcharge and probably this is what I was referring to when I informed you about the ticket's cost.
We try our best to provide better services for our guests, to help them have a pleasent and comfortable stay, we are really dissappointed to understand that such dedication is misinterpreted and qualified as misleading for our own benefit.
We best wishes Hotel Emma
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

My family and I stayed here at the beginning of April. Domenico, the owner, is very nice and helpful and it goes out of his way to make your stay more pleasant. The Hotel itself was pleasant, I thought our rooms and the dining room were quite nice, our room was away from the main road and quiet off a corridor that leads to a nice patio overlooking the skyline of surrounding houses. Breakfast was simple but ok. Location - it is very well situated its about 20-25 minutes walk into the centre of Florence and if you don't feel like walking back there is the bus stop right outside the hotel so getting in and out of town is no problem.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Taunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

Stayed here in April with my daughter who became ill on the first day . The owner was very helpful in summoning medical help and arranging alternative accommodation for me when I had to extend my stay. The Hotel itself was pleasant, I thought our rooms and the dining room were quite nice and our corridor was away from the main road and quiet. Breakfast was simple but ok. There is a very pleasant patio at the rear for sitting out in. Location - wise , its about 20-25 minutes walk into the centre of Florence but 2 buses stop right outside the hotel so getting in and out of town is no problem

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Trevor1053
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

It took us a while to locate the right bus stop to get the bus that supposedly stops right in front of the hotel. A while later, we got down at a stop which was called Hotel Emma! At first it feels like you are moving away from the city, but realise only later that the city can be covered on foot, and Emma doesn't feel as distant anymore. The host [again, I'm embarrassed that I didn't ask him his name] is one of the most gentle and gentlemanly persons that I've come across. He speaks little, but ensures that you are comfortable and everything is taken care of. Even though he seemed to be particular about the breakfast timings, he entertained us when we turned up 30 minutes before the scheduled time since we were starting our day early for sightseeing. The rooms are basic, clean and includes free wifi and breakfast. Will definitely go back the next time we visit Florence.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Oslo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

Hotel Emma is a very personilized hotel run by a welcoming couple mixed norwegian and italian. That makes it ofcause easy to be norwegian here... If you want peace an quiet in this facinating city - do book in! Bus is outside the door. Terrace for a nightcup with a fine cityview.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

The hotel was a small comfortable place to stay in for a few days. There were free WIFI and the breakfast was nice. The location of the Hotel Emma wasn’t too bad; yes, it was not in the city center, but it was few minutes on a bus. The owner and the staffs were friendly and nice. Unfortunately, I was not able to stay more than a 4 nights. I wouldn’t mind coming to this hotel to stay in the near future.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business